Kanger Mini Protank 2 - for eGo batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplecj

Mar 2, 2011
Utah
IMAG0465 (Small).jpg

Hello everyone. I haven't posted on here since I did my SimpleCJ's eGo-T Wick Mod a few years ago. I gave up on vaping and went back to smoking, mostly because of the hassle of keeping my atomizers functioning.

Well... now I'm back to say the new carto/clearos out there are so much better than they used to be. I picked up a CE5 clearo just cause I saw it at the smoke shop while picking up my tobacco and papers. Well... that was the last time I bought tobacco, about two months ago.

I was impressed by the CE5s so much I started researching what else was out there and came across the big and bulky Protank many times with people saying how awesome it was. I didn't want something that bulky though, but what do ya know, they were just releasing the new mini version so I picked one up and ended up buying two more!

The Protank Mini 2 V2 with removable drip tip is awesome and works perfectly with my eGo batteries. Replacment coils can be found for $1.50 each and for about $5 I bought enough wick and kanthal wire to rebuild a years worth of coils.

Best consistent performance, vapor, and flavor of anything I've ever tried. Bottom wicking seems superior, and all stainless/glass construction means no worries about contaminating my juice, not to mention it's super easy to rinse clean.

I broke a glass tube on it and ordered 5 replacements along with some clear shrink tubing. The shrink tubing is hardly visible and provides a lot of protection. I also picked up some lanyards which fit nicely between the protank and the battery. Only problem is the protank is heavier and a bit longer than other clearos so I have to loop the string around it to hold the mouthpiece upward. Between the shrink wrap and the lanyard I have not broken my glass yet.

Now I have a nearly bulletproof setup that I don't have to be constantly fussing with, which has made quitting smoking A LOT easier! I still have about a half ounce of tobacco and I no longer have any desire to smoke it. I never thought it would end up being this easy! :2cool:

The Kanger Protank Mini 2 is a perfect match for eGo batteries. Now my only problem is what to do with the 5 CE5's still in their packaging...

Quick Tip List:
-- Buy coils in 5 packs on ebay for best prices
-- if you're handy, some wick and kanthal wire can make 5 coils last you for years
-- Have at least one replacement glass tube on hand, you never know when you might need it and it's the most likely thing to break
-- Get a lanyard, not only is it nice for keeping it safe when you're wearing it, the strap makes a good pad when you set it down and helps keep it from rolling away.
-- Get some clear shrink tubing and shrink it over the glass to protect it (tube is ~1/2" dia)
-- I've found with standard non-VV batteries 1.8-2.2 Ohms seems to be the best resistance
-- Get the version 2 model with removable drip tip. This lets you set the tank down when you're cleaning or refilling, plus replacing the stainless tip with a plastic one helps make it a bit lighter. My teeth didn't really like the metal anyways...
-- simply rinsing with water once a day or so seems to be enough to keep it clean. If the flavor starts tasting really off, you can pop the top off the coil and replace the flavor wicks that are on top of the coil. This helps clean up the flavor alot. You can also dry burn the coil while you're at it and make sure the coil is still working right. I can go a few days without even rinsing it and it still tastes fine, but I use really clean and clear juices which helps a lot to keep things running smoothly.

Last edited:

Bkag

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Glad to hear your back off the analogues. I have to agree, I love the Protank Mini 2 V2's.

View attachment 271879
-- Get some clear shrink tubing and shrink it over the glass to protect it (tube is ~1/2" dia)

This tip is excellent, never even crossed my mind but such a simple way to add some extra protection to the glass tank!

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
probably going to be picking one up. i like how the mouth piece is removable, and prefer a flat style tip.. wonder if the joyetech mouth piece fits..?

If you mean the joyetech eGo-cc mouthpiece - yes it fits but the 'slope' of the curve doesn't match exactly - but not enough to look odd, imo. ...both the stainless and the flat head from the eGo-cc.

Personally I quit using the mini protank because of the way too easy draw and plugging one hole isn't enough and two was too much ... for me.. ymmv. I still prefer the Tabac BCC/T3/T3S for volume and draw and it seems the coils on the T3 style last longer than the evod/protank/mini PT before needed cleaned or changed out. It may be the location of the coils/wicking. In the mini pt/evod, they are almost 'hidden' in the base, whereas with the T3 and the T3S base and coil, the wicking is not as obscured, imo.

simplecj

Mar 2, 2011
Utah
Welcome back!

Just a word of caution: Buying e-cig stuff on eBay is a real hit and miss proposition. For APV's you never want to buy batteries there. Too many fakes. The same concern applies to Kanger replacement coils - some of the fake Kanger coils are miserable performers.

That's funny cause the ones that came with my protank only lasted a day or so, but the ones I got off ebay have been lasting a week or longer. If you're worried about rip offs, look for listings that say they are authentic kanger coils. I agree about the batteries though. I bought an eGo-C Twist and both the battery and charger were defective. I'll only buy them from Vicky at cignot.com since I know they are a registered eGo distributor with authentic products.

I bought my coils from Erie Vapors eBay Store (items in Erie Vapers store on eBay!) $7.85 and free shipping for 5-pack of "authentic" kanger coils.

@Bkag: Thanks!

@Seebo: You can use any 510 drip tip with the v2.

@Kent C: I've never tried the Tabac, but I have read about people not liking the draw of the mini protank. It is definitely more airy than the CE5s I was using, but it was easy to adapt and just draw a little slower. Some of my coils have had more air resistance than others, I think it has to do with the coil and flavor wick placement. Just swapping out the flavor wicks can change how it draws. I'm happy with it and have not had to plug any holes. I did learn to just cover one with my finger if I want a harder draw for some reason.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
@Kent C: I've never tried the Tabac, but I have read about people not liking the draw of the mini protank. It is definitely more airy than the CE5s I was using, but it was easy to adapt and just draw a little slower. Some of my coils have had more air resistance than others, I think it has to do with the coil and flavor wick placement. Just swapping out the flavor wicks can change how it draws. I'm happy with it and have not had to plug any holes. I did learn to just cover one with my finger if I want a harder draw for some reason.

On the ones I'm keeping - the flavor wick placement/swap may work....

partyannimal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Near Jim Thorpe, PA, USA
View attachment 271879

Hello everyone. I haven't posted on here since I did my SimpleCJ's eGo-T Wick Mod a few years ago. I gave up on vaping and went back to smoking, mostly because of the hassle of keeping my atomizers functioning.

Well... now I'm back to say the new carto/clearos out there are so much better than they used to be. I picked up a CE5 clearo just cause I saw it at the smoke shop while picking up my tobacco and papers. Well... that was the last time I bought tobacco, about two months ago.

I was impressed by the CE5s so much I started researching what else was out there and came across the big and bulky Protank many times with people saying how awesome it was. I didn't want something that bulky though, but what do ya know, they were just releasing the new mini version so I picked one up and ended up buying two more!

The Protank Mini 2 V2 with removable drip tip is awesome and works perfectly with my eGo batteries. Replacment coils can be found for $1.50 each and for about $5 I bought enough wick and kanthal wire to rebuild a years worth of coils.

Best consistent performance, vapor, and flavor of anything I've ever tried. Bottom wicking seems superior, and all stainless/glass construction means no worries about contaminating my juice, not to mention it's super easy to rinse clean.

I broke a glass tube on it and ordered 5 replacements along with some clear shrink tubing. The shrink tubing is hardly visible and provides a lot of protection. I also picked up some lanyards which fit nicely between the protank and the battery. Only problem is the protank is heavier and a bit longer than other clearos so I have to loop the string around it to hold the mouthpiece upward. Between the shrink wrap and the lanyard I have not broken my glass yet.

Now I have a nearly bulletproof setup that I don't have to be constantly fussing with, which has made quitting smoking A LOT easier! I still have about a half ounce of tobacco and I no longer have any desire to smoke it. I never thought it would end up being this easy! :2cool:

The Kanger Protank Mini 2 is a perfect match for eGo batteries. Now my only problem is what to do with the 5 CE5's still in their packaging...

Quick Tip List:
-- Buy coils in 5 packs on ebay for best prices
-- if you're handy, some wick and kanthal wire can make 5 coils last you for years
-- Have at least one replacement glass tube on hand, you never know when you might need it and it's the most likely thing to break
-- Get a lanyard, not only is it nice for keeping it safe when you're wearing it, the strap makes a good pad when you set it down and helps keep it from rolling away.
-- I've found with standard non-VV batteries 1.8-2.2 Ohms seems to be the best resistance
-- Get the version 2 model with removable drip tip. This lets you set the tank down when you're cleaning or refilling, plus replacing the stainless tip with a plastic one helps make it a bit lighter. My teeth didn't really like the metal anyways...
-- simply rinsing with water once a day or so seems to be enough to keep it clean. If the flavor starts tasting really off, you can pop the top off the coil and replace the flavor wicks that are on top of the coil. This helps clean up the flavor alot. You can also dry burn the coil while you're at it and make sure the coil is still working right. I can go a few days without even rinsing it and it still tastes fine, but I use really clean and clear juices which helps a lot to keep things running smoothly.

Sweet! Sounds like you've got it all figured out! Kudos to you for coming back to vaping and trying to give up the stink sticks. Sounds like it'll be a breeze for ya. ;)

partyannimal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Near Jim Thorpe, PA, USA
That's funny cause the ones that came with my protank only lasted a day or so, but the ones I got off ebay have been lasting a week or longer.

I guess it's truly a game of roulette as I've seen many people say when referring to getting vaping equipment off of eBay. I can honestly say I got pretty lucky with them so far. I desperately wanted to upgrade from my cig-alikes and cartos, and after finding the simple and very spiffy looking eGo's that I wanted at a vape shop, I was as giddy as a little girl on a snow day to find them for a much cheaper price on eBay. Knockoffs? Probably, but I never had an issue with it and haven't looked back since. :)
Brand New EGO King Laser etched design Replacement Battery 1100mAh K6

simplecj

Mar 2, 2011
Utah
If you ever want to try rebuilding your coils, I recommend this listing. lightningvapes quality wick + free kanthal You buy the quality silica wick, which is much nicer than the stuff I bought off McMaster Carr years ago, and they throw in 25ft of free Kanthal wire. You pick the wick diameter and length, and what gage Kanthal you want. $4 for 6 feet of wick and 25 feet of wire. I know the new coils you buy can be hit or miss, but if you're handy, you can rebuild your own using the parts from burnt out coils, for probably fractions of a penny each. I have no idea how many wicks you could make per foot, but probably a lot with how short the protank wicks are.

That brings me to another point that I love about this rig, but I'm sure it's common to most of the newer bottom coil designs. Changing flavors is nearly instant. That was one thing I never liked with my eGo-T and even the CE5 long wick setup. Finding flavors you like is so much harder when you can wash the crap out of it with scalding hot water or even soak it in alcohol and still not get rid of the previous flavor. I no longer have that problem. I don't even have to rinse it. If the tank is nearly empty, I can simply fill it up with a different flavor and 5 puffs later its good to go, totally new flavor.

Last edited:

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
I guess it's truly a game of roulette as I've seen many people say when referring to getting vaping equipment off of eBay. I can honestly say I got pretty lucky with them so far. I desperately wanted to upgrade from my cig-alikes and cartos, and after finding the simple and very spiffy looking eGo's that I wanted at a vape shop, I was as giddy as a little girl on a snow day to find them for a much cheaper price on eBay. Knockoffs? Probably, but I never had an issue with it and haven't looked back since. :) Brand New EGO King Laser etched design Replacement Battery 1100mAh K6
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...-k-engraved-900mah-rechargeable-battery-for-e ($5.2475 each one)
1392200-4.jpg

I literally just saw your post and scanned past these on FT....hah...great timing :D

Last edited:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
...I think the MiniProTank is probably the best vape for an Ego, of all the clearos.

I've only tried eVods and Mini Protank 2s (MPT2), but I think the latter is clearly superior to the former. Somehow broke my first MPT2. I missed it so much that I immediately ordered 2 more and just received them today. The draw might be a bit more airy than the eVods, but to me the taste and vapor production of the MPT2 is significantly better. My preferred setup for home use is a Kanger 650 VV batt and either version of the MPT2. I usually take the eVods with a standard (non-VV) 650 batt when I go out because of size and durability considerations; the MPT2s usually stay at home.

Yokymo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Harrisburg, PA
I have to say the Mini Protank 2 on my ego twist was the best step in a right direction for me when I came back after buying cigs at work...BLAH..I have loved this set up and it has became my everyday set up. I was using T3's and T2's, which I enjoyed but at the same time had alot of the issues everyone else had... The mini protank 2 just seems to hit everything I need right on the head. I personally couldnt be happier with this set up and it really does keep me away from the rest of the pack of cigs i bought.. Its funny how the right set up for you can just totally change your world and just make you the happiest person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread