Kayfun/rocket/RBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Been thinking of getting a kayfun or Kayfun lite.
Went to a couple of B&M yesterday to get some coil building material so I can try and start building cools for my aerotank only to discover that I totally suck at it. I can build robots but building these little bitty coils turns me into the short king.
I can't find any real lighter closed juices that I like so it's gonna come down to changing a coil every other day or getting an RBA with a deck I can work on. To make it more complicated I love the airflow control. The only RBA I can find with that is the kayfun. The B&Ms around here are out until may so I can't take one for test drive. However, the clones are cheap enough that I'm willing to do a rest drive. I saw fasttech has the clones and something called a "rocket" that appears to be a clone also. Anyone know if this is the case? Any experience with quality? Any RBA you like more than Kayfun and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
Try this. Get over to a Hobby Lobby and get yourself an Artistic Wire Gizmo coil maker. They are in the beaders section. You can wrap some tight little coils with these that easily fit inside the PT's. When I rebuild a dual coil head, I make it a single coiler instead and add a piece of cotton wick to take up that extra space. Most guys can see well enough to do these but I have to use a jewelers visor to see those itty bittys. If you are having trouble with the PT's, RBA's will be a frustrating experience. They are really picky danged things as I am finding out with this Prometheus I bought a few days ago. It seems to be the old Harley-Davidson of RBA's, work on it all week so you can vape it for a few hours on the weekend. It has to be built just-so and wicked just-so or it dry hits you or the ohms go all over the place or it won't fire at all...jeez-marie!!

blueguell

Mar 7, 2014
Alabama
It is a lot easier to get good results building a kayfun coil compared to a kanger coil. And the flavor is unbelievable on the kayfun compared to my old protank 2. I used to mix my liquids with 20% flavor when using my pt2 and never could understand how people could say they mixed a flavor too strong. Now i find myself having to cut down my old diy liquids with more base when using my kayfun.

I bought a hcigar kayfun clone off ebay for about $40. Didn't want to risk having to wait 3 weeks for it to get here from china. Although I must say my last 2 fasttech orders arrived in a little over a week via epacket.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
The Rocket is a kayfun style atomizer. I recommend the V2 for the air control ring and all SS materials.

Sent from my recliner with a spatula

Is it as good as the Kayfun or Kayfun clones?
I've read I'm several places that the clones are identical In style, function and taste. Is the rocket v2 the same as the Kayfun clones in that manner? When I think of "style" I generally think they followed the same concept only they are still different; hence, may have some difference and not provide the same taste that the original or clones do.

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
I have the rocket from fasttech.
It's fine but the deck has a cheap feel to it.
I have to use a rubber gripper for opening jars to get the top off to fill it because the edge is so thin and smooth.
The cap to chimney o-ring falls off frequently when you remove the top.
Overall, I'd say its worth the ~$13, It converted me to chimney type attys.
I got it with the ATA-T2 that I planned on using as my main atty and just experiment with the rocket but it ended up the other way around.

I recently I got the fasttech kayfun 3.1 (A) which has a much better build quality.
My only real complaint about it is the 510 connecter screw's head is too big and looks like it could easily short. Had to file down the screw head diameter.
I really like it and might get a second one.

To use drip tips, the rocket takes a CE5 drip tip adapter cut down shorter.
The Kayfun 3.1 (A) tip is a different size and needs this adapter

rocket and 31.jpg

doghair

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Phoenix
I love my kayfuns, I have several variations. The nice part is that you only have to recoil them every couple months. Once a week I take them apart, dry burn and rinse them. I run a new cotton wick and I'm good to go. Recoiling is no drama either once you do a few. I spin some 28ga around a syringe tip, heat it and screw it down, done.

alphanumeric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
Orange County
You could try the clones since they're so inexpensive. I have a couple of the fasttech 21$ kayfun clones. After cleaning them, they are unbelievable. I'm not sure how much better it gets but I plan on getting an authentic one to try it out.

Its the best tank rebuildable ive tried- as soon as I got it all cleaned and tested it, I cried tears of joy.. then I vaped them.

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
Building coils on the Kayfun is infinitely easier than the small workspace the kanger heads give you in an Aerotank. Plus, the fact you can dry burn the coil before you wick it without the risk of melting anything rubber means you can perfect a mediocre wrapped coil.

Use a 5/64 drill bit and get yourself a pair tweezers and a cheap butane torch at Home Depot. You'll be making perfect coils in Kayfun. Now wicking it properly takes a couple tries to get it right. That is the part of rebuilding that can pose a challenge.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I have the rocket from fasttech.
It's fine but the deck has a cheap feel to it.
I have to use a rubber gripper for opening jars to get the top off to fill it because the edge is so thin and smooth.
The cap to chimney o-ring falls off frequently when you remove the top.
Overall, I'd say its worth the ~$13, It converted me to chimney type attys.
I got it with the ATA-T2 that I planned on using as my main atty and just experiment with the rocket but it ended up the other way around.

I recently I got the fasttech kayfun 3.1 (A) which has a much better build quality.
My only real complaint about it is the 510 connecter screw's head is too big and looks like it could easily short. Had to file down the screw head diameter.
I really like it and might get a second one.

To use drip tips, the rocket takes a CE5 drip tip adapter cut down shorter.
The Kayfun 3.1 (A) tip is a different size and needs this adapter

View attachment 325441

The top o-ring on the Rocket is definitely something you have to be mindful of, or you'll lose it rendering it useless. I have both a V1 and V2 Rocket and I will say that the V2 has not been a problem. I suspect they made the seat for the o-ring a bit deeper. I use the V2 daily and have yet to have that o-ring come out of the cap. IMO, the stainless steel construction of the V2 also eliminates some of the threading issues as well. I have no regrets on my purchase of the V1 or V2. They both are great performers, especially considered the cheap entry price.

ian91

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Westbank, BC Canada
I have both Rockets V1 and V2. I love these but they are both leakers. Took a bit longer for the V2 to start leaking but it has small leaks from the tank seals and it now leaks from the AFC. I went out and bought an EHPro Kayfun Lite Plus from Ebay and it was worth the extra money. Easy to build and never leaks. I also bought an HCigar Kayfun 3.1 but have not yet had a chance to set it up. It seems to be good quality as well. I bought both of these on EBay. Nice to get something quickly for a change as I buy a lot of stuff from Fasttech.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
I can't rebuild a PT head to save my life (at least one that works well) but a proper RBA is a breeze because they are designed to be rebuilt.

And ordering something from Mars would probably be faster than FT.

Lol- thank you. I'm to impatient to wait for a shipment from Mars- lol
So eBay it is!
Next question: it looks like when I search for "kayfun life plus" about 10 different clones pop up. Are they all the same or is one better than another? How can I tell?
Or is it just a wing and a prayer?

^Top-Shelf^

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2014
Central Illinois
Lol- thank you. I'm to impatient to wait for a shipment from Mars- lol
So eBay it is!
Next question: it looks like when I search for "kayfun life plus" about 10 different clones pop up. Are they all the same or is one better than another? How can I tell?
Or is it just a wing and a prayer?

IMO I think the newer tobeco KFL+ is the better of all because it has an adjustable 510 connector and a sealed fill hole. No other clones have the adjustable 510 not even the newest authentic kayfuns. The russian 91% has it but the fill hole isn't sealed. If you want a link let me know, it's hard to find threw all the clones. It's sometimes referred to as the silver edition because it's the same as the raved about black edition but is cheaper cause it comes in the standard box. I got mine for $36 shipped and it's perfect in all aspects.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
IMO I think the newer tobeco KFL+ is the better of all because it has an adjustable 510 connector and a sealed fill hole. No other clones have the adjustable 510 not even the newest authentic kayfuns. The russian 91% has it but the fill hole isn't sealed. If you want a link let me know, it's hard to find threw all the clones. It's sometimes referred to as the silver edition because it's the same as the raved about black edition but is cheaper cause it comes in the standard box. I got mine for $36 shipped and it's perfect in all aspects.

A link would be AWESOME!
Thank you!

^Top-Shelf^

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2014
Central Illinois
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread