Lithium batteries go boom... AGAIN… this one hurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eskimoroll

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I’ve debated posting this for some time because honestly, I’m an idiot and I was asking for it but for the greater good, I will humbly accept my role in what happened. I originally posted my story of my exploding CR2 rechargeable lithium batteries in the mod forum (currently a sticky) but I feel that this is important enough that it may serve a better purpose here in the General forum.

After my lithium batteries vented in my hands, I realized that I still had a few sets of batteries from available that I hadn’t thrown out. The mod I was using is a Magnum Box mod which uses two CR2 batteries in series in a AA battery box. I’m not a great modder but I have put together about 7 or 8 mods including various usb passthroughs, battery box mods (nicostick, etc), a Detonator mod, a Magnum mod, and this Magnum box mod. It was a super simple mod which I put together relatively well with clean soldering, a solid switch, and no real issues. The batteries in question are generic rechargeable CR2s which many of us purchase from online retailers primarily shipped from China.

To give you some insight as to my mindset, I absolutely LOVE 5-6 volts running through my atomizer and after a futile search for protected CR2s and vowing to never purchase another unprotected battery, I was in a sense saying farewell to my Magnum box, Magnum, and Detonator mods for good. I had put hours of time and effort into making these devices and I cringed at the thought of using 3.6 volt e-cigs that died after an hour of use.

Well, what happened next is where I play the part of the idiot. Wanting to see if my Magnum box still worked, I popped in two CR2s (not the ones that initially exploded but from the same purchase batch) and with some trepidation, I began to vape. I was definitely gun-shy using it at first but as it was cranking along perfectly as usual, I started to get more comfortable with it again. I hadn’t been vaping more than fifteen minutes when everything went crazy.

The lithium batteries both exploded simultaneously but this time rather than simply venting gas, flames and battery acid shot out of the device right in my face and around my couch. I feel fortunate that I didn’t get anything in my eyes which could have caused permanent damage. In shock, I threw the smoldering mod into the sink with the faucet on full blast, opened the windows, and turned on the fans in my kitchen and living room. I had battery acid on my couch blanket which I promptly put in the washer and I flushed my eyes with water just in case.

It was only then that I looked down at my hands and realized that I had sustained some pretty good burns (fortunately only first degree). Having some first aid training, I ran my hand under cold water for a while as I gulped down some asprin. As a guitar player and an outdoor sports fanatic (kayaking, biking, etc), I was extremely grateful that my hands seemed intact. The next few hours were agony as I alternated putting on burn cream and antibiotic ointment along with bandaging up the hand in gauze and using icepacks. I tried to sleep to avoid the pain but that was tough as well. The pain eventually went away and I was left with large red areas near my thumb, palm, and ring finger on my left hand. I had to tell my girlfriend later that night that I had burned myself cooking so as to not worry her and have her banish e-cigs from our home.

The burns have since all peeled off and healed although it is still red in certain areas. It doesn’t need to be said but all my CR2s are in the trash and honestly I can’t even use my nicostick mods these days because I get so nervous. I stick to my Dura and my passthrough mod to get my e-cig fix. I worry about the prevalence of 6v CR2 e-cigs out there these days both in mod and commercially manufactured forms. I hope the manufacturers are taking the necessary precautions to ensure that they are distributing a product that will protect their consumers in the event of catastrophic battery failure. I hope I will be the first and LAST person to have to go through this.

Sorry for the long post. I’ll post pictures of the burned out mod and batteries later. I kept it since I’m sure people would want to see it.

Keeping vaping and stay safe.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
Thanks for posting Eskimoroll. Glad you are OK.
And thanks to Nicowolf for being persistant about PROTECTED BATTERIES.
But after reading your story, I have to wonder if Protected Batteries are safe... or just safer. For that matter do we know how safe the OEM Ecig batteries are? Especially the cheaper models. The more information we have, the better. Thanks again.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I’ve debated posting this for some time because honestly, I’m an idiot and I was asking for it but for the greater good, I will humbly accept my role in what happened. I originally posted my story of my exploding CR2 rechargeable lithium batteries in the Mod forum (currently a sticky) but I feel that this is important enough that it may serve a better purpose here in the General forum.

After my lithium batteries vented in my hands, I realized that I still had a few sets of batteries from available that I hadn’t thrown out. The mod I was using is a Magnum Box mod which uses two CR2 batteries in series in a AA battery box. I’m not a great modder but I have put together about 7 or 8 mods including various usb passthroughs, battery box mods (nicostick, etc), a Detonator mod, a Magnum mod, and this Magnum box mod. It was a super simple mod which I put together relatively well with clean soldering, a solid switch, and no real issues. The batteries in question are generic rechargeable CR2s which many of us purchase from online retailers primarily shipped from China.

To give you some insight as to my mindset, I absolutely LOVE 5-6 volts running through my atomizer and after a futile search for protected CR2s and vowing to never purchase another unprotected battery, I was in a sense saying farewell to my Magnum box, Magnum, and Detonator mods for good. I had put hours of time and effort into making these devices and I cringed at the thought of using 3.6 volt e-cigs that died after an hour of use.

Well, what happened next is where I play the part of the idiot. Wanting to see if my Magnum box still worked, I popped in two CR2s (not the ones that initially exploded but from the same purchase batch) and with some trepidation, I began to vape. I was definitely gun-shy using it at first but as it was cranking along perfectly as usual, I started to get more comfortable with it again. I hadn’t been vaping more than fifteen minutes when everything went crazy.

The lithium batteries both exploded simultaneously but this time rather than simply venting gas, flames and battery acid shot out of the device right in my face and around my couch. I feel fortunate that I didn’t get anything in my eyes which could have caused permanent damage. In shock, I threw the smoldering mod into the sink with the faucet on full blast, opened the windows, and turned on the fans in my kitchen and living room. I had battery acid on my couch blanket which I promptly put in the washer and I flushed my eyes with water just in case.

It was only then that I looked down at my hands and realized that I had sustained some pretty good burns (fortunately only first degree). Having some first aid training, I ran my hand under cold water for a while as I gulped down some asprin. As a guitar player and an outdoor sports fanatic (kayaking, biking, etc), I was extremely grateful that my hands seemed intact. The next few hours were agony as I alternated putting on burn cream and antibiotic ointment along with bandaging up the hand in gauze and using icepacks. I tried to sleep to avoid the pain but that was tough as well. The pain eventually went away and I was left with large red areas near my thumb, palm, and ring finger on my left hand. I had to tell my girlfriend later that night that I had burned myself cooking so as to not worry her and have her banish e-cigs from our home.

The burns have since all peeled off and healed although it is still red in certain areas. It doesn’t need to be said but all my CR2s are in the trash and honestly I can’t even use my nicostick mods these days because I get so nervous. I stick to my Dura and my passthrough mod to get my e-cig fix. I worry about the prevalence of 6v CR2 e-cigs out there these days both in mod and commercially manufactured forms. I hope the manufacturers are taking the necessary precautions to ensure that they are distributing a product that will protect their consumers in the event of catastrophic battery failure. I hope I will be the first and LAST person to have to go through this.

Sorry for the long post. I’ll post pictures of the burned out mod and batteries later. I kept it since I’m sure people would want to see it.

Keeping vaping and stay safe.

Eskimoroll--So sorry to hear this. THIS IS WHY I SENT NICOWOLF EXPRESS MAIL OVERNIGHT A PROTECTED BATTERY TO USE IN THE TUTORIAL SHE DID. I EXPLAINED THE RISKS IN NOT USING THEM TO HER. MANY PEOPLE ARE NOT AWARE OF THE DANGERS OF USING UNPOTECTED BATTERIES AND THAT IS WHY I APPRISED NICO OF THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS.

I THANK NICO AGAIN FOR USING THE PROTECTED BATTERY I SEND HER IN HER TUTORIAL AND ADVOCATING ITS USE.

Remember--we can only advocate saftey, and although not an everyday occurance---unprotected batteries are, as reported here, not safe. That is why you can not buy them in any old brick and morter store.

Sun

chuckie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2009
miami fl USA
had minor injuries. Seems like the people who said using p.v.'s over 3.7 volts,isn't a good idea, know what they are talking about.Just to add I have 3 p.v.'s that I've used for months. I only use cr123's (unprotected)3.6v,and the only problem I've ever had was 1 of them wouldn't hold a charge very well after about 3 weeks.Maybe I'm just lucky:)
I hope your post helps everyone realize that when changing these e-cigs from their intended design and specs, a person needs to be careful.

500KV

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2009
Chattanooga
Glad you're OK.
That could have been nastier.
This begs the question: What caused two batteries to fail simultaneously; a direct short in the mod., one battery failure causing the second to fail..just what happened.
Were both batteries "blown out", destroyed ?
I think you said you would post pics., right ?
Anyway, glad you're alright.

eskimoroll

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Glad you're OK.
That could have been nastier.
This begs the question: What caused two batteries to fail simultaneously; a direct short in the mod., one battery failure causing the second to fail..just what happened.
Were both batteries "blown out", destroyed ?
I think you said you would post pics., right ?
Anyway, glad you're alright.

My guess would be that the one battery blew out the other. The first time it happened it was a single battery failing but without enough force to kill the second battery. The second time however, it was quite the explosion. I'll post pictures tonight if I can.

And they say 'once burned, twice shy' ... Not always true ;)

It might be that these batteries were being effectively overloaded - current drain beyond their spec. In any case, use protected batteries only!

This is one of the reasons why I am quite excited about developing a temperature controlled atomiser circuit. I have done enough research now to feel that a 25% reduction in power use is possible (using PWM). Full current is supplied for only the first second or so. More info on this: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...m-temp-control-atty-heater-coil-pics-vid.html

Last edited:

eskimoroll

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Here are the pictures as promised... On closer inspection it looks like only one of the batteries exploded (fire) while the other one simply vented probably as a result of the heat from the explosion.

29qjcl1.jpg

28v4ar.jpg

egalgo.jpg

2vkb0o1.jpg

500KV

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2009
Chattanooga
Looks like you have had a direct short across the batteries. This high current drain can cause the problem. In your next mod cosider putting a fuse in between the atomizer and the positive terminal that should effectively prevent this problem.

That's what protected batteries do, in effect.
Not a fuse, but a small circuit breaker is incorporated into the battery.

Babachoo

Moved On
Apr 17, 2009
Best argument I've seen for using protected batteries.
I still wonder what the result would have been in one of these all metal enclosed devices that we puff on.

Honestly, the weakest link on most of the mods you're thinking of (won't name any names but you all know which ones I'm talking about, think "pipe bomb") is where the atomizer fits into the mod, or the switch. If such a cavity was violently filled with expanding gas from an explosion, it would most likely either shoot the atomizer through the back of your neck or blow your finger/thumb off, or whatever you use to press the manual switch, if it has one. No manual switch and otherwise sealed = atomizer exiting the rear neck area.

Battery exploding while laying on the ground = not such a big deal

Battery exploding while sealed in what looks like a pipe bomb that you're holding in your hand, and the area of least resistance for the gas to escape is basically a bullet (atomizer) that you're sucking on = you die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread