Lithium batteries go boom... AGAIN… this one hurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoiseMike

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Boise, ID USA
Dang! I thought this vaping was supposed to be relatively safer than smoking. I've already got a scar from where a cigarette burned down while resting on my leg and I was too drunk and passed out to realize it. The burnhole in the couch cushion was pretty scary too. I don't need to blow my face off or anything.
I think I'll just forget the mod I was working on for the 2XCR2's that I haven't even bought yet. My 3 rechargable Ni-MH AA's are working pretty well for now.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I ordered a couple of "AA sized" protected batteries from BatteryJunction. They're actually a bit large, won't even fit in the AA charger I bought from them. Sent them an email today about exchanging them, awaiting a response...

Scott--Where they these? Protected UltraFire 14500 AA sized 3.6V Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery 900 mAh CR14500 Lithium Ion

The are just hair longer but I have had no issues with them fitting.

This is the charger that you would use with them:

Ultrafire wf-139 Lithium Ion battery charger 14500 - 18670

I hope that helps---the 14500 is a great battery--that lasts all day for me at 900mAh's-----------Sun

eskimoroll

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Eskimo, where did you get those batteries and what brand were they? They don't look like the dealextreme RCR2 that a lot of us use, the less damaged one looks blue, DXs are green

just curious, and glad you're okay.

These particular ones were generics from ebay which shipped from China but I also had those green DX ones as well. The funny thing is that until they exploded, these batteries were outlasting and outperforming the green DX ones.

tdstrike

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2009
base of the Wasatch, Utah
heck of a thing there, glad you're alright. I'm wondering though, how much of this was caused not by an unprotected battery so much as cramming 6V's into a space meant for only holding 1.5V AA? Sure, the protected batts may have helped, but hot is hot and those things look about as crammed in as my legs would look in the wifes pantyhose.
I'm just sayin, I wouldn't put a 455hp on my lawnmower cuzz it fits.

SmokinScott

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Acton MA, USA
Scott--Where they these? Protected UltraFire 14500 AA sized 3.6V Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery 900 mAh CR14500 Lithium Ion

The are just hair longer but I have had no issues with them fitting.

This is the charger that you would use with them:

Ultrafire wf-139 Lithium Ion battery charger 14500 - 18670

I hope that helps---the 14500 is a great battery--that lasts all day for me at 900mAh's-----------Sun

Protected UltraFire 14500 PROTECTED-14500-LITHIUM 2 6.95
AA sized 3.6V Li-Ion
Rechargeable Battery 900
mAh CR14500 Lithium Ion

They're too big for my AA box. They MIGHT fit if I took out the spring for the negative pole, but that would be a heck of a squeeze. I just want REAL AA sized. Like it was promoted as. Rather ticked off about it.

For the charger I got the Ultrafire wf-138 3.6 volt wf-138 - ain't no way these batteries will fit in that charger. Thanks for the thought though.

Last edited:

youfillintheblank

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I don't think the space is the issue......it sounds like some seriously defective batteries that can't handle the current draw. The space they're in might be an issue if it gets overly warm or hot inside the box, but with this kind of setup (and good quality batteries) it's not, the batteries don't heat up at all.

heck of a thing there, glad you're alright. I'm wondering though, how much of this was caused not by an unprotected battery so much as cramming 6V's into a space meant for only holding 1.5V AA? Sure, the protected batts may have helped, but hot is hot and those things look about as crammed in as my legs would look in the wifes pantyhose.
I'm just sayin, I wouldn't put a 455hp on my lawnmower cuzz it fits.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Protected UltraFire 14500 PROTECTED-14500-LITHIUM 2 6.95
AA sized 3.6V Li-Ion
Rechargeable Battery 900
mAh CR14500 Lithium Ion

They're too big for my AA box. They MIGHT fit if I took out the spring for the negative pole, but that would be a heck of a squeeze. I just want REAL AA sized. Like it was promoted as. Rather ticked off about it.

For the charger I got the Ultrafire wf-138 3.6 volt wf-138 - ain't no way these batteries will fit in that charger. Thanks for the though though.

Scott--what boxes are you using because they fit fine in my boxs? Sun

SmokinScott

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Acton MA, USA
Scott--what boxes are you using because they fit fine in my boxs? Sun

Standard AA battery box from Radio Shack.

If I put this lithium beside a standard AA battery you can see it's maybe 1/8 of an inch longer. It's not the box, this AA battery is not AA truely AA sized.

They did repond to my email yesterday with an RMA number. I thanked him, and asked what I should order as a replacement (that's truely AA sized). Waiting their response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread