Madvapes VV Gripper

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwestr

Jan 2, 2014
United States
The lack of reviews on madvapes for the VV Gripper scares me a bit. Does anyone have any sort of experience with this unit? I'm trying to get away from my ego because i'm not impressed with the quality of the unit.

I've thrown around the idea of a vamo, itaste MVP or a sigelei. The price tag of $27 for the gripper has me intrigued.

the link:
Variable Volt Gripper, Silver

in all honesty though, i really don't know how much i benefit from the VV aspect. i'm pretty blown away by the look on the poldiac replica on fasttech.

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I've been using a pair of the VV Grippers, since they were first released over a year ago. The knocks on them are for the battery door, the plastic can break if you're not careful. I've added a small piece of Velcro to hold the door closed, and also replaced the 510 connector a couple of times, as the insulators will wear out with daily use over a year (will in most any connector)

They are very simple to use, simple to adjust, the electronics hold up well, and a good quality IMR high drain 18650 can last all day. For the price they are a great first VV mod to try.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
I have one, that still works, but it was retired long ago. On the plus side:

• Relatively inexpensive
  • Uses an 18650 battery
  • Excellent [IMO] form factor and ergonomics
  • Solid electronics and wiring
  • Uses pulse width modulation and mean power delivery which means it hits like a freight train

Now for the negatives:

• It is a fragile beast
  • Uses pulse width modulation and mean power delivery which means it's difficult to know how much power is being delivered to your coil.

Let me expand on the "fragile beast" part. The battery door will fail. It's not a question of if but when. I returned one Gripper for exchange and nursed it's replacement along by crafting the broken door bits with JB weld. Once the door gives way completely, however, it's a goner. The fit and finish on the inside of the case is poor and the case plastic is soft. What this means is that, eventually, the plastic cut-outs and extrusions that hold the 510 connector in place will weaken. This will (again will) lead to a loose 510 connection and your atomizer of choice will flop like a fish. Worse case, it will pull right out of the unit. This fix is easier than it sounds though. What I did was use a hot-glue gun to fill the entire area around the 510 connector. Once the glue sets, it is a perfect mold of the connector and casing and, IMHO, is better than new. Next comes the outside finish of the unit. The casing looks and feels like a quality, soft-grip, plastic. It is not... It's hard plastic that is coated with a soft-grip finish. Juice will (see a pattern here) deteriorate the finish over a short period of time. Finally, the casing is two shells joined by plastic tabs. If you drop the unit or tip it over with a heavy device attached to it the halves will separate. Luckily the fix for that and the 510 issue are one and the same so you can save up for the two-for. So... Long story short... I can't recommend it. ...period. If this is your first APV and you are saving up for it; save for a little longer There are plenty of better alternatives out there.

bwestr

Jan 2, 2014
United States
Man, you guys are great! I wasn't necessarily "saving" for an apv so much as seeking a replacement for my failing eGo-C Twist. Despite being extremely cautious in not over tightening my tanks, the center pin seems to keep getting wedged down. my only guess is that my pyrex vivi nova and the charger are different depths, so to speak.

I can only assume my daily repositioning of this center pin will only lead to it snapping off at some point leaving me with no nicotine sending me into a crazy nic fit.

My girlfriend has a nearly identical set up, but she is using the standard eGo (without the twist function), despite her insisting that her tank needs to be super tight, she is not having the center pin issues.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Nice thing about the VV Gripper is it uses a standard IMR high drain 18650 battery, which will also work in a large number of regulated or mech mods. With the VV being on sale at Mad Vapes it's a decent price point, and should vape as well or better than an eGo, but you should also get a back-up as the reliability isn't great unless you are handy at modding and soldering....:)

edit: I just recieved an email from MadVapes:

10% Off Site Wide!!
Making the New Year even better, we are having 10% off site wide. Excludes sale items, and deal items. Now is a perfect time to get some of the products you have been wanting, at 10% off. Promo code is jan10off. Valid Friday January 10th through Tuesday January 14th.

Last edited:

bwestr

Jan 2, 2014
United States
well isn't that neat?

I was trying to figure out what drawbench carbon was, so I googled it and found a site called Quick Stop Vapor Shop which offers the MVP for $45.

the only issue is that the website seems scary. It doesn't look very professional. do any of you guys have experience with them?
iTaste MVP 2.0 iClear30 Kit from Innokin(Black Drawbench Carbon) - $45.00 : Quick Stop Vapor Shop, Best Deals on all your E-Cig and Vapor needs

Edit*
nevermind, the "contact us" portion states money order only. Madvapes wins.

Last edited:

bwestr

Jan 2, 2014
United States
Thanks for the quick response, Stosh. I hope I'm not disappointed with the MVP that I just ordered.

I've been diy-ing my liquid and using a pyrex vivi from madvapes. I've been liking my juice, but the battery issues I've been having lately have been worrying me.

I'm loving the citrus and root beer creations that I've made, so i'm not excited for the polycarbonate tanks on the iclear16s. Since I also have some "safe" flavors as well, I guess i'll just throw them in the rotation with the iclear30 that I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread