Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
Some of us do not like cotton wicks. Either because we cannot find the proper cotton, or because we do not like the taste anyhow, or because we do not like to change wicks every day or two. If you prefer silica, but want the advantages of a micro coil, below is a way to accomplished that. Thanks to Xobeloot for this tip - thought I'd put it in pictures, maybe someone else will find it of value.

WARNING: I position my coils for a good and proper throat hit (TH) and less sweetness (more acid notes) of the juice - thanks again to Xobeloot's mentorship in this regard. Also thanks to all the Reonauts in this forum who have made micro coiling easy for us untechs. The coil below is quite high, in fact, the TH was too severe, even for me - that's easily remedied - just push the coil down with your finger.

1. Building the micro coil on my "jig" with a 1.5mm (1/16") drill bit and 28 gauge Kanthal. Found the 28 better than the 30 gauge for this purpose. About 6 or 7 wraps.
abBt6lc.jpg

PqvHKAC.jpg

2. Completed coil. Came out at 1.0 ohm, prefer just below 1 ohm. At that height the TH is extreme.
Yctrlls.jpg

xdr9T65.jpg

3. Your silica unravels into distinctive threads. Each thread is about 0.5mm. I take two threads and put them between a piece of folded Kanthal wire. Lightly wrap the two tails of the wire.
qd5keQB.jpg

I1owUS6.jpg

4. Thread the wire through your coil. Now slowly pull the silica threads through. You might want to stabilise the coil with your other hand to prevent it to distort. Remove the wire, either by unfolding or by cutting the silica. Sometimes the wire will cut the silica anyhow through the pulling force.
6IcpsKe.jpg

wkmJfgA.jpg

5. Wick slightly juiced, positioned and trimmed.
wzuP5B5.jpg

XNAZF3m.jpg

N5McJWW.jpg

Vaped. TH too extreme, pushed down the coil - Perfect!

Last edited:

scemmer

Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Ridgewood, NY
I've never gone long enough without wanting to change to coil long before the wick needed it.

Wow, I've been going about a month before changing my micro coils. I'm definitely seeing some advantages to silica micro coils vs. cotton. I can't say I'm noticing a flavor difference. The magic is in the coil. The only negative would be having to buy silica. I've read that some people are experiencing side effects from cotton. I myself have had some weird things happening, so I'm trying to rule that out.

scemmer

Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Ridgewood, NY
Nice, thank you!
Do you find that that minimal amount of silica wicks well?

As far as I can tell, it is wicking well. I've only started this tonight after I found this post by Matthee. (Thanks for the instructional photos! I had no idea how to make a micro coil work with silica.) I'm also using a reo grand. All you need is a little silica and a good squonk. I'm not sure how the wicking would work on another device.

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Marysville, Washington, USA
Awesome tutorial Matthee! :)

I still have a lot of silica, ekowool and ceramic wick sitting around from my AGA-T2/T3 days. I didn't really give it the old college try when I first started dripping. I'll have to revisit this just out of curiosity. I found the ekowool produced great flavor on my genny's. I think I'll try the ekowool using this technique and report back.

Thank you! :)

PS. Awesome price on that Ekowool Filthy!

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Good job :)

incase you don't know, you can also cut a slit in the end of a straw then cut a point to drop an inch or so of silica in and thread it, but if your method work's why change it :)

I like your clamp, its nice & shiny compared to mine :D ..sometimes put my spool of wire on the handle of the clamp to get extra tension when the fingers are feeling lazy ..

Raynman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Marion In USA
Hey FB have you tried using a #59 bit in the hallow of you eckowool and wrapping your coil around it? I've found it works well with the ceramic wick. Cut your wick to the length you need, stick the #59 bit inside the eckowool or ceramic, wrap coil around eckowool or ceramic, then mount the coil. Eliminates having to thread the wick altogether. Mathee you rock my friend. Great tutorial.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Hey FB have you tried using a #59 bit in the hallow of you eckowool and wrapping your coil around it? I've found it works well with the ceramic wick. Cut your wick to the length you need, stick the #59 bit inside the eckowool or ceramic, wrap coil around eckowool or ceramic, then mount the coil. Eliminates having to thread the wick altogether. Mathee you rock my friend. Great tutorial.

I do basically the same thing with my XC - 132. Slip a unfolded large paperclip thru the hollow center and wrap directly on the xc/clip, then mount, then slide out clip. Comes out the same as if you wrapped a 1/16" drill bit then tried to slip in the wick. :) I wrap the coil tight together but I don't squeeze together, as I think the xc does not absorb and hold juice quite as well as cotton so a tiny bit of space between coils leaves a little room for more juice to get on th xc. Just my opinion of course.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I do basically the same thing with my XC - 132. Slip a unfolded large paperclip thru the hollow center and wrap directly on the xc/clip, then mount, then slide out clip. Comes out the same as if you wrapped a 1/16" drill bit then tried to slip in the wick. :) I wrap the coil tight together but I don't squeeze together, as I think the xc does not absorb and hold juice quite as well as cotton so a tiny bit of space between coils leaves a little room for more juice to get on th xc. Just my opinion of course.
I think that was my problem, I tried to make a tight micro coil.

photon9

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
Capital Region NY

This is how I used to build my coils for Kanger heads. Works great, but it's really hard to get the coils touching for a true micro-coil.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
This is how I used to build my coils for Kanger heads. Works great, but it's really hard to get the coils touching for a true micro-coil.

As I mentioned I don't try to have coils touching so the juice can seep a little between the coils I find I get more flavor and vapor production as the juice gets between each wrap. I squeeze the coils together when I use cotton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread