My first build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty316

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2014
Hull, England
Theres nothing wrong with using spaced coils. when wolfenstark said you didn't have enough wick inside the coil I think he meant you threaded it to loosely through the coil and it has collapsed inside the coil leaving a gap between the wick and the coil. Try threading it a little tighter next time.

Last edited:

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
Theres nothing wrong with using spaced coils. when wolfenstark said you didn't have enough wick inside the coil I think he meant you threaded it to loosely through the coil and it has collapsed inside the coil leaving a gap between the wick and the coil. Try theading it a little tighter next time.
Ahh... Thanks.

Sent from Tapatalk.

Reactions: Matty316

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I'm confused, is my build not good? I'm only learning about RBA's now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely nothing wrong as long as it vapes decent for you. As time goes on, you will develope more contestant wrapping techniques and get a perfect feel for wicking. Each new build will bring you closer to understanding just what you want and how to achieve it.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
Just keep practicing and you'll nail it down without any questions over time. From the posted picture the wick did look a bit thin. When you run lower ohms like that you want to have a good wick density so it can keep up and not collapse within the coil.

I run a dual spaced 24 gauge in an RDA and I love the spaced coils, everyone has their own set up they like.

I would suggest you up the resistance, you'll have more room in adjustment. It is also only using about 3.9v. You could get similar or more vapor production if you moved the resistance up while using less(or the same) wattage and taking advantage of the device's available voltage. A 0.3 at 50watts is going to drain your battery on the istick50 fast too.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
I like to do 28 guage with 5 wraps and make 2 coils comes to .50 ohms and works pretty good.

battery life is good not too much heat---you can get a good vape with flavor and vapor in the--20--- 25 watt

range. these coils heat up fast and cool down fast----execess heat from too high a wattage setting-and

too heavy a wire guage is a waste of battery power and dries out the wick too fast and can cause dry hits.

just sayin what works best for me---YMMV----yur mileage may vary.......................

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
cb5e01dcf25c83371e7b82465eaf68b5.jpg

Took a few drags. Immediate difference. All I did is rewicked. Thicker and longer. Oh lord. I guess it wasn't the wicking when I first started building, I guess it was just inexperience and by the time I tried the inefficient wicking I was getting better and attributed it to that thin wicking.

Sent from Tapatalk.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
Looks much better with the thicker wick density. After a few more wicks on the same build you'll get a feel for the right amount of wick.

Wicking takes some time to nail down, it's best to stick with one build and practice wicking it. Different coil diameters needs different densities and most people agree that a larger coil is easier to wick. A lot of people get hung up on the "less is more" with cotton, but in practice you'll find that you need a density that fills the coil to the point where it's snug and does not slide around with a slight tug.

Next step is to work on the tails. When you place a wick, put tension on both ends as you thread it through and snug it back and forth a bit as you find a good spot. This way the tail ends are more consistent. I'm a stickler with my wick tails and each end has to be as even as possible before I finish. You can experiment with shorter tails too. Some people like a lot of cotton on the deck, you'll find that some atomizers just need a short tail that reaches in to the well, but not stuffing it.

Check out this thread
Post pictures of your working wick and coil setup | Page 346 | E-Cigarette Forum

Work you're way backwards to look at the most recent stuff, you'll get some ideas there.

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
So, I got my shipment of wire. I have to immediately ask... Why do people complain about low gauge? 22g. 10wraps, dream. It was a dream to wrap. Two of them, crap ton of cotton, first time I've been happy with 30w on an rda. Good flavor so far. It's 22g, 3ml inner, 10 wraps, two coils. .4ohm. 30w is satisfying, slight ramp up but very decent flavor.

3de49ce84da0b96a86b884ab5c662cb1.jpg

5c63d4dcd803e91125523483d939923b.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk.

Dipper926

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
North Carolina
That one ohm quad burnt in seconds, I'm experimenting basically. 26 was decent for several weeks. 22 is extremely easy to work with. I did a single strand 22 right now, that came out so perfect... But keeps ramped well after the initial dry hit and ensues a burned wick as I'm trying to resat. I think 24 is going to be the best of both, going to buy some as soon as possible.

Sent from Tapatalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread