Nautilus Mini BVC Resistance Dropping (OHMs increasing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started vaping and recently upgraded my clearomizer to the nautilus Mini.

It is paired with a itaste VV/VW 3.0. I've been vaping at 8 to 10 watts.

Over 5 days the resistance, as reported by the iTaste has dropped from 1.8 to 2.2. I searched the forum for explanations and nothing seemed definitive.

Anyone have any ideas?

BTW - I love the setup and the flavor / vapor production is great...

thanks for any answers...

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
I put in 2 BVC 1.8 ohm coils this morning from the pack I ordered with my Nautilus minis. Using the Sigelei v5. Checking the resistance they fluctuated between 1.9 & 2.2. They finally settled on 1.9. All the others I've used checked and settled on 1.8. Sorry I don't have an answer for you but, I can relate.

Oh, and welcome!

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
The resistance has actually increased, which means your battery will have to work harder to supply the same level of power (number of watts) to the coil(s).

I'm still in the dark ages of device ownership, so I haven't had the pleasure of being able to monitor the resistance of my atomizers over time. However, my first guess is that the coils are "gunking up", collecting dried bits of over-zapped juice. I have to imagine this would add some resistance to the coils. This is completely natural, and happens at different rates for everyone.

I'm sure someone else may know better, and know what questions to ask. At any rate, welcome to ECF and I hope you're able to get it figured out!

Thanks for the great replies.

I have no idea where I got th idea that lower OHMs readings = higher resistance. I guess I assumed a more resistant wire would heat up more at the same power...and since sub-ohm coils are revered for their billowing vapor production I managed to draw a very bad conclusion....

Still trying to get my head around it all.

I really appreciate the input.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
A tank atomizer is just a threaded metal shell with a resistance element.
The resistance reading of your tank is the sum of:
Resistance of the heating element wiring
Resistance of the mechanical connection of the resistance element to the Atomizer metal shell
Resistance of the mechanical connection of the metal atomizer shell to the tank base
Resistance of the mechanical connection of the atomizer center pin connection to the mod center pin
Resistance of the mechanical connection of the tank threads to the mod connector threads.

Variations in temp, humidity, g-forces will effect mechanical connections.

I picked up a 1.6 ohm BVC for my nautilus and right after putting it in and letting it soak up juice, turned on my mod and it read 1.7 ohm.. No biggie really, still puts out vapor like a pro and still has better flavor then the bdc's.. Gone through almost 30ml of a 50/50 blend and wicks WAY better then the bdc. So I think I've found my new coils!! Till they screw up. BUUUT still going to get a Kayfun or an RTA (proper term?) any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread