Need a quality AVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

xSweep

Jan 5, 2014
Portland, Oregon
I've been vaping for about 1 month now and feel I've outgrown my eGo twist clone. My girlfriend has an iTaste VV 3.

I'm looking to get a legitimate quality AVP and would like some recommendations.

Ideally I'd like high vaping performance, vv/vw, 18650 battery compatibility (is there a superior battery format?), sturdy. I currently have a mini protank ii and would appreciate the new avp seamlessly fitting my kanger.

I'd specifically like to keep the budget of the body itself at $60 or less. Flex within reason.

The VAMO V3/V5 comes to mind. It seems I've read that the protank does not fit without a bit of fussing. This is not a game breaker, however.

I'd be open to suggestions on batteries and chargers as well as quality tanks. At this point I'm less versed on those pieces.

Bonus points to anyone who would like to reccomend a vendor that does a kickawesome mint juice sampler!

jkais3r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Mankato, MN, USA
Have you looked at the itaste vtr? I think 101vape sells them for $65 or so when they're in stock.

Charger I have a xtar wp2, or a fancier one is the xtar vp1. My wp2 is just fine though and quality.

Batteries, a lot of people use aw-imr batteries. I picked up some efest 18650 1600mah from 101vape and they're fine so far, and only like 8 bucks a piece.

101vape sells a nice dripper, youde igo-w for $10. But you have to build your own coils, don't know if you're into that yet. If you are then a genesis tank wouldn't be a bad addition either.

If you can't tell, I like 101vape for their customer service and prices. I was able to pick up everything for my first mech mod from them except the charger for around $60, I got the charger on ebay for around $20.

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
In your price range, (which has generally been mine as well) I really like the Sigelei Zmax. In my opinion, much better quality than the Smok version that I also have. I also like the VTR, but it's not for everyone. The Protank will fit fine, but other tanks that you may want to try may not without using the extension. I think it's a quality device, and I've been using it every day since I got it, but it's not for everyone. If you wanted to go that route, I would head to a B&M if possible and at least check it out in person before buying. And last, but certainly not least, is the MVP2. (It doesn't have removable batteries, so I listed it last.) It has definitely been my work horse. Outstanding battery capacity, passthrough, etc. I think it's the best bang for the buck out there!

xSweep

Jan 5, 2014
Portland, Oregon
So far I'm not into building yet. That type of activity is in my wheelhouse, but I'm undecided as I don't know about the cost or time involved.

Unfortunately I haven't done my research about drippers yet, learning everything about vaping really only started about 2 days ago when my girlfriend decided she would eventually like a backup to her iTaste. Whew, there's a lot of infoation!

I'll do some research on the vtr, what about it do you like? and what about it do you think it could be improved upon?

And while were on the topic... What's significance of high quality batteries and chargers? It seems obvious, but I love to be educated.

xSweep

Jan 5, 2014
Portland, Oregon
The Sigelei Zmax has been on my list to study. Recently it seems I've read that there are some failure issues with the buttons, whether that's the exception that made thew front-page-news or the norm is still unkown to me.

The MVP2 is almost certainly the device I'll suggest to my father, who just finished on the right side of a lung cancer scare. He's an over-the-road trucker so I imagine that device would best fit his needs.

I'd prefer a non box shape myself.

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
There isn't anything that I personally DON'T like about the VTR. I think it looks classy as hell, seems well built and sturdy, and is easy to use. what others may or may not like about it... It's VERY heavy, it's a fingerprint magnet, and due to the cage on the side, there are a limited number of tanks that you can use without putting on the extension. I use cartos, so I ordered a couple of 19mm IBtanked for mine, and they fit perfectly. Also to note, there was an issue with the early runs that effected it's ability to read the resistance of the atomizer correctly, but this has been fixed. (in case it comes up.) Personally, I think it's a great second device, but I'm really glad I have a few others for every day, all day use.

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
Looks like we were replying at the same time lol. If you don't like the box shape, you definitely won't like the VTR.

It seems like in this price range, there is a little something about ever device that will get some complaints. I guess it comes down to what is a known problem on every device, or what might be an occasional problem on some of a particular device. for example, while I LOVE the MVP2, and sing it's praises all the time... The center pin is very easy to push down so that it wont make contact anymore. I fixed it with an air flow controller for a couple of bucks, but seems there is something little like this with everything. lol

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I have to admit, the VTR is hella kewl! Nice smooth vape (this from a Provari owner mind you!), but it's STUPID heavy! Like hauling around 3 Provari mini's heavy!
The Zmax and Vmax have both been having problems with the buttons failing and the 510 threads striping. But at $50, you can't expect much!
Maybe look at the MVP2 if you like the box style? They can be found for around $35 if you shop, and it will let you see if you like the style and want to upgrade to something better in that format, or want a tube style mod.

I have to admit, the VTR is hella kewl! Nice smooth vape (this from a Provari owner mind you!), but it's STUPID heavy! Like hauling around 3 Provari mini's heavy!
The Zmax and Vmax have both been having problems with the buttons failing and the 510 threads striping. But at $50, you can't expect much!
Maybe look at the MVP2 if you like the box style? They can be found for around $35 if you shop, and it will let you see if you like the style and want to upgrade to something better in that format, or want a tube style mod.

At what price range would you say the manufacturing/quality defects start to vanish? I'm hoping not to spend into the ProVari range because I am sure my girlfriend will want a nice new mod if all goes as expected.

tcs007

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2014
Eau Claire, WI
I just went through this these last couple of days. I'm not ready to spend $180 for Provari. I looked at the Sigilei's, the Vamo V5, and the Itaste VTR. I settled on the Sigilei Vmax V3. It had all the features I wanted including outputting up to 20 watts. Not that I'll ever go that high, but I definitely want the ability to for the future. I couldn't find out for sure if the Vamo did, but I know the VTR won't - it maxes out at 15 watts.

I also don't want a box mod. Yet. But I'm sure as more of the DNA20 mods come out, I'll pick one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread