RDA Need a recommendation (I know, me and everyone else)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanguinesolitude

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2015
I'm waiting on my last order from them lol
Copper King
Luna-Sea box mod
Bambino dripper
CEO fog
They will split my order as the luna-sea is not in stock until the 21st
i got the copper king as well
liking it pretty well, but the button seems finicky. might have to see if i can take it apart.

also got a revolt rda, which is superb quality, but missing my screws... and none of the other dripper screws fit. grrr.
kayfun v4 clone is awesome quality, but unfortunately i didnt read reviews before trying one and its for tootle puffers.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Kprthevapr said:
I'm waiting on my last order from them lol

Sorry, I'm just quoting you so at least one person will definitely see this and you've been so helpful!

So I noticed on my Smok Xpro M80, the voltage is jumping around a lot while firing. It made me a little nervous but then I realized that it does the same thing with a stock Kanger OCC head... so I guess this is probably OK? The resistance is not jumping around at all. The .3 dual coil was too much for me so I took it out for a .4 dual and I'm going to leave it like this for a while providing I'm not going to hurt anything. The device itself seems to be getting quite warm (not hot) but I think that has more to do with multiple pulls in short succession. It's not staying warm.

ETA: I know I should just leave it but I'm having trouble finding my sweet spot so I changed up the coils again. I'm really editing to mention that I seem to be having problems with hot legs with the 28g but it's hard to tell. I was nervous about it so I actually put back in one of the coils I used for the .4 dual to run it singly as a .8. It's better but still not quite right. I'm not going to build anymore today though... it's working well enough and I'm not intentionally wasting stuff. Funnily enough the .5 single was probably the best. I should have just left it.

Should the heat be completely relegated to the coils themselves, or is half a leg getting red normal with thinner wire? Like I said I took it out just in case, but nothing I was doing seemed to fix it and it seemed fine and was reading right otherwise.

Lastly, whenever I'm able to get a second RDA it will solve this issue a bit but I really do get bored easily. Is it kosher to save a coil that's relatively new and still working for re-installation later if I feel like switching things up, or is it better to toss when it comes out?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kprthevapr

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Sorry, I'm just quoting you so at least one person will definitely see this and you've been so helpful!

So I noticed on my Smok Xpro M80, the voltage is jumping around a lot while firing. It made me a little nervous but then I realized that it does the same thing with a stock Kanger OCC head... so I guess this is probably OK? The resistance is not jumping around at all. The .3 dual coil was too much for me so I took it out for a .4 dual and I'm going to leave it like this for a while providing I'm not going to hurt anything. The device itself seems to be getting quite warm (not hot) but I think that has more to do with multiple pulls in short succession. It's not staying warm.

ETA: I know I should just leave it but I'm having trouble finding my sweet spot so I changed up the coils again. I'm really editing to mention that I seem to be having problems with hot legs with the 28g but it's hard to tell. I was nervous about it so I actually put back in one of the coils I used for the .4 dual to run it singly as a .8. It's better but still not quite right. I'm not going to build anymore today though... it's working well enough and I'm not intentionally wasting stuff. Funnily enough the .5 single was probably the best. I should have just left it.

Should the heat be completely relegated to the coils themselves, or is half a leg getting red normal with thinner wire? Like I said I took it out just in case, but nothing I was doing seemed to fix it and it seemed fine and was reading right otherwise.

Lastly, whenever I'm able to get a second RDA it will solve this issue a bit but I really do get bored easily. Is it kosher to save a coil that's relatively new and still working for re-installation later if I feel like switching things up, or is it better to toss when it comes out?

Hot legs are bad! Make sure you have your leads clipped and the coil not touching any part of the deck. Pulse fire the coil and pinch it into shape with either tweezers or toothless pliers, poking around a bit will get rid of bad heating patterns. 28g is on the relatively thin side to build with alone. But if you're getting hot legs, drop your wattage so you're around 3.9-4.0 volts and pulse fire your coil. Once you see it get a bright spot, stop firing and pinch the coil together with tweezers or pliers gently. Repeat this process until hot spots are gone and the coil heats up from the center -> outwards.
And it's fine to save a slightly used coil, I do it all the time. Sometimes I'll have perfectly good coils in my atty and I just want a change so I throw something different in.
On a side note you should have made it to the expo! It was great, I kinda snuck in, because for whatever reason they claimed the event was at capacity around 5 and stopped letting people in. A kind vaper that was leaving gave me their wrist band and I put it on and went in a side door like I wasn't doing anything wrong. I walked out with 2x IPV4's (one is a gift for my father's 65th birthday coming up) that cost me $100 total and a Hobo v3.1 (which is f'ing awesome) for $50. Also the entire sour batch juice line in 15ml bottles for $15. Met some cool people, some great builders and got some solid tips. I'm relieved that even sponsored builders have problems with alien wire, that stuff is my kryptonite. One bad wrap and your whole coil is killed.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Hot legs are bad! Make sure you have your leads clipped and the coil not touching any part of the deck. Pulse fire the coil and pinch it into shape with either tweezers or toothless pliers, poking around a bit will get rid of bad heating patterns.[...]

That's what I thought... And that's what I did, pulse-fire and squeezing, which has worked beautifully to smooth out issues with the 24g. Didn't solve the first coil I made with 28g. :( Must have been a bad wrap; I'll try the 28g again sometime.

Glad to hear the expo was good! Sounds like you made off with a steal. It was a bit of a trip for me and I'm without a car atm which is precisely why I couldn't make it... I certainly wish I could have!

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
That's what I thought... And that's what I did, pulse-fire and squeezing, which has worked beautifully to smooth out issues with the 24g. Didn't solve the first coil I made with 28g. :( Must have been a bad wrap; I'll try the 28g again sometime.

Glad to hear the expo was good! Sounds like you made off with a steal. It was a bit of a trip for me and I'm without a car atm which is precisely why I couldn't make it... I certainly wish I could have!
Made off like a bandit. Couldn't believe the prices, if the Flawless booth only had more Kennedy's...I got your message, messaged you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread