Status
Not open for further replies.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I've juuust about come to the conclusion that I now have a problem with the KFL clone itself, and less-so the 4Nine.

I can adjust the 510 on the atty as far out as I want, but it always gets caught (on the battery or the hybrid threads or what, I'm not sure) and gets wound back UP into the threads on the 510, far enough so that it causes a short on everything, not just the 4Nine. I've tightened up everything on the deck (including the positive connection that is....uhhmmm....under the 510 pin) that I can, but this keeps happening.

Putting it on an ohm meter, the readings jump wildly from 7Ohms down to .4Ohms and everywhere in between.

I had a Taifun GT (clone) on the 4Nine and it works just fine. If only it didn't look so dopey!

Possibly a run away Metal shard in the Air channel. If you did not strip it down and clean/flush everything out it can happen. I have found little treasures in every kayfun I purchased.

Pull it down. Remove the center pin(screw)
Have a look. Then rinse and pass a paper clip through all openings several times. Have another look and pressure rinse once more.

Build it back up and GOOD LUCK!!!:)

*** Don't even want to know who is making a 4Nine so far off that one would File down a Kayfun 510 to mate the two. I'd have tossed the 4Nine in a drawer for something else later.

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
I fully disassemble and soak all my attys/tanks before use, but I just did it a second time on this lil' #(@!er. Same problem. I'm trying to get it replaced. I don't really expect them to do it, and I won't be bothered too much if they don't. It's a clone. Bad ones happen.

I WILL say that Artemus (or whoever I've been emailing back and forth at custommodcreation) has been very helpful and polite. I don't ever expect *any* after-sale support for the clones I buy, so the fact that they're even TRYING to help me is a big thumbs-up. They have pretty much said the same things everyone in here has suggested, all very good information.

I guess I should shut my trap now in this thread, since my issue isn't with the mod after all. :oops:

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
Possibly a run away Metal shard in the Air channel. If you did not strip it down and clean/flush everything out it can happen. I have found little treasures in every Kayfun I purchased.

Pull it down. Remove the center pin(screw)
Have a look. Then rinse and pass a paper clip through all openings several times. Have another look and pressure rinse once more.

Build it back up and GOOD LUCK!!!:)

*** Don't even want to know who is making a 4Nine so far off that one would File down a Kayfun 510 to mate the two. I'd have tossed the 4Nine in a drawer for something else later.

Well, I am the person who filed. What can I say...it works. The Kayfuns are clones and the 4Nine is authentic. Sure, I could return the 4nine, but a few files on a $16.00 Kayfun worked for me. 40 seconds of my time and no further issues.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I fully disassemble and soak all my attys/tanks before use, but I just did it a second time on this lil' #(@!er. Same problem. I'm trying to get it replaced. I don't really expect them to do it, and I won't be bothered too much if they don't. It's a clone. Bad ones happen.

I WILL say that Artemus (or whoever I've been emailing back and forth at custommodcreation) has been very helpful and polite. I don't ever expect *any* after-sale support for the clones I buy, so the fact that they're even TRYING to help me is a big thumbs-up. They have pretty much said the same things everyone in here has suggested, all very good information.

I guess I should shut my trap now in this thread, since my issue isn't with the mod after all. :oops:

1) Loose metal in tube
2) Bent Center Pin(touching body)
3) Defective lower grommet(pin touching body)
4) Defective Positive post Grommet( + or pin touching body)
5) Positive post rotating(touching Negative side)
6) Coil shorting to center pin(raise coil)
7)Chimney Cap touching Positive screw of coil attachment) <Certain Manufacturers only>

Those are about everything that can cause a short in a Kayfun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread