New 'baddie'. Mint/ menthol flavor causes cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
By the way...these types of threads, (with a title that is stated as if it's factual), only serve to "stir the pot" more, IMO. We see this crap sensationalized all over the internet and on the news multiple times every day. Do we really need to see it here, too? Just my :2c: though. I'm going to just pass them by and hope that newbie vapers and old school vapers who've been "off the ECF grid" for awhile....will, too. They likely come to ECF to get the straight scoop on things. :rolleyes:

Can I get an Amen ..

Combine that with the constant beating of the same repetitive stuff over and over .. I think copy and paste is being used prolifically ..

deadhorse_lego_zps7d5bc905[1].jpg

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
I virtually live on mentholated mint sweets. There's nothing quite like taking in a big lungful of air when eating them. Oh, and mint chewing gum. And mints. And using menthol crystals to clear my nose. Strange that i've read absolutely no scare stories regarding the use of mints. Meh.

Or maybe breathing in mint is ok but vaping it isn't ? I'm struggling to see the difference.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
So basically its not really the vaping that causes the cancer chemicals its not flavouring itself? You know what that mean to me right, it means that consuming fruits and veggies cause cancer too

No one here (unless I totally missed it) said vaping was causing cancer. However, if you choose to eat your veggies fresh from the supermarket without cleaning them off of any residual fungicide, herbicide, or other cide used in growing them these days, all bets are off.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
Pulegone is naturally present in mint.

Mint is known for being quite stimulating. Strong mint preparations are very inflammatory. Studies repeatedly show oxidative stress in cells exposed to the flavouring.

Menthol cigarettes have often been blamed for being designed to dull the burning sensation of inhaling smoke. As a strong flavor, a little mint also goes a long way in covering up the taste of burnt leaf. Hence mints controversial position in inhalables.

In vaping, mint flavours are sometimes seen as the safe option. At this time I don't feel it's different from any other flavouring in vape juice. I am certain, from experience, that vaping a very strong menthol juice can feel unpleasant after a while.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Can I get an Amen ..

Combine that with the constant beating of the same repetitive stuff over and over .. I think copy and paste is being used prolifically ..

View attachment 838929

Sorry, no, you cannot get an "Amen" from me. People are upset and they post to express their displeasure, I support that expression.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
From one of the articles in the first post:

“The argument we make in the paper is that there are health concerns with these mint- and menthol-flavored liquids, and until these health concerns are mitigated by the FDA, they shouldn’t be seen as alternatives [to cigarettes],” Sairam Jabba, a research associate at Duke University and first author on the study

Basically, this clown is implying that it's safer to keep smoking. :facepalm:

Here's what the FDA actually says about Pulegone
Food Additive Regulations; Synthetic Flavoring Agents and Adjuvants
(Scroll down to section E)
The evidence that it's problematical is sketchy at best.

Now maybe it's easy for me to interpret things that way since I don't use menthol or minty flavors to begin with, but hey, if a person does, I think it would be downright insane to believe its riskier than smoking. We're talking about one potentially harmful substance here. Smoke has hundreds, if not thousands.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
pr-gum-prod1.png
pr-gum-prod6.png
pr-gum-prod4.png

White Ice Mint - Spearmint Burst - Mint

Vicks

Q: What ingredients are in Vicks VapoRub?
A: The active ingredients in Vicks VapoRub are camphor (a cough suppressant and topical analgesic), eucalyptus oil (a cough suppressant) and menthol (a cough suppressant and topical analgesic).

Q: How do I use Vicks VapoRub?
A: For cough suppression, rub a thick layer of Vicks VapoRub on your chest and throat. Cover with a warm, dry cloth if desired. Keep clothing around your throat and chest loose to allow the vapors to reach the nose and mouth.

*sigh* I guess they'll be banning Vics soon.

Reactions: Ryedan

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Risk Analysis for Pulegone in Mint- and Menthol-Flavored e-Cigarettes and Smokeless Tobacco Products

Pulegone, a constituent of oil extracts prepared from mint plants, including peppermint, spearmint and pennyroyal, is a carcinogen that causes hepatic carcinomas, pulmonary metaplasia, and other neoplasms on oral administration in rodents.1 In 2018, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banned synthetic pulegone as a food additive.2 Studies by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) detected substantial amounts of pulegone in mint- and menthol-flavored e-cigarette liquids and smokeless tobacco products marketed in the United States.3,4 The tobacco industry has minimized pulegone levels in cigarette flavorings because of toxicity concerns. Mint- and menthol-flavored e-cigarettes may be exempt from proposed federal regulations; therefore, the health risk associated with pulegone in these products should be considered.

Jabba SV, Jordt S. Risk Analysis for the Carcinogen Pulegone in Mint- and Menthol-Flavored e-Cigarettes and Smokeless Tobacco Products. JAMA Intern Med. Published online September 16, 2019. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2019.3649

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Carcinogen Found in Mint and Menthol E-Cigs

Flavoring was banned from foods last year for cancer risk

In their risk analysis, Jordt and Jabba examined data from recent studies conducted by investigators with the CDC, evaluating the chemical composition of sample e-cigarette and smokeless tobacco products.

They calculated the margin of exposure (MOE) based on oral pulegone concentrations identified in the studies for five e-cigarette products (V2 Menthol, V2 Peppermint, Premium Menthol, South Beach Smoke Menthol, South Beach Smoke Peppermint) and one smokeless tobacco product (Skoal Xtra Mint snuff).

MOE is used by the FDA to calculate cancer risk associated with food additives. The FDA considers a food additive safe for ingestion if its concentration is 10,000 times lower than the concentration shown to be carcinogenic in rats, Jordt explained.

The researchers defined a light user as someone who used 5 mL of e-liquid, smoked a half pack of cigarettes or uses 10 grams of smokeless tobacco daily. Daily moderate use was defined as use of 10 mL of e-liquid, one pack of cigarettes, or 20 g of smokeless tobacco; heavy use was defined as 20 mL of e-liquid, two packs of cigarettes, or 30 g of smokeless tobacco daily.

MOEs for all products analyzed were found to be below the accepted MOE threshold of 10,000 for carcinogens, reflecting risk greater than considered acceptable.

"For the e-liquid with the highest pulegone concentrations, MOEs were between 1,298 and 3,084 for 5 mL daily consumption and 325 and 771 for 20-mL daily consumption, below the safety threshold of 10,000," the researchers wrote. "Depending on consumption rates, MOEs for the e-liquids ranged between 325 and 6,012; for a pulegone-containing smokeless tobacco they ranged between 549 and 1,646."

When exposures from the tested e-cigarettes were compared with those typically found in conventional menthol cigarettes (estimated to range between o.037-0.290 µg/g of pulegone), exposures were higher in all e-cigarette user groups, by factors ranging from 44 to 1,608.

There are no studies specifically examining the safety of inhaled pulegone, and Jordt acknowledged that carcinogenic risk may be different from that estimated for oral ingestion.

But he added that extrapolation of inhalation exposure levels from oral toxicity studies is common practice among regulators.

He added that the threshold for chemical inhalation exposures are typically lower than for oral exposures since "the digestive system is better equipped to handle chemical exposures than the lungs."

"But we absolutely need studies to examine the long-term impact of pulegone inhalation exposure," he said.

Other study limitations cited by the researchers included the limited data involving only 5 e-liquids and 1 smokeless tobacco product.

They concluded, however, that their findings "appear to establish health risks associated with pulegone intake and concerns that the FDA should address before suggesting mint- and menthol-flavored e-cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products as alternatives for people who use combustible tobacco products."

englishmick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I remember warnings about menthol years ago, it was saying menthol cigarettes are worse than plain tobacco.

I remember shortly after I got on ECF our very own Oliver suggesting that menthol and cinnamon might be dodgy.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I remember shortly after I got on ECF our very own Oliver suggesting that menthol and cinnamon might be dodgy.

I don't know what Oliver said, but I checked @Kurt 's posts on the subject and he never had any problems with menthol. He did warn, however, about cinnamaldehyde and clove oils as those are serious lung irritants. And diacetyl and other diketones.

Where is @Kurt, our chemistry guru, when we need him?

Reactions: Ryedan

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

englishmick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I don't know what Oliver said, but I checked @Kurt 's posts on the subject and he never had any problems with menthol. He did warn, however, about cinnamaldehyde and clove oils as those are serious lung irritants. And diacetyl and other diketones.

Where is @Kurt, our chemistry guru, when we need him?

As I recall he felt there were some hints that those flavors might have problems. Nothing specific.

I tried to find the post but for some reason I couldn't search on his user name.

I love menthol though so I'll go with it unless something solid comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread