New 'baddie'. Mint/ menthol flavor causes cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

englishmick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks Katya. That's what had stuck in my memory. I still can't do that search myself for some reason.

When you do a forum search, after keyword and username, go to Newer Than box and pick a date. That will include old usernames, posts and threads. I go back to 2009. :)

• Useful
Reactions: Eskie

englishmick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
When you do a forum search, after keyword and username, go to Newer Than box and pick a date. That will include old usernames, posts and threads. I go back to 2009. :)

OK, that worked. Still don't quite understand why it didn't seem to recognized his user name, but it did the search so it's good.

I also remember someone saying way back that of all the flavors we use menthol was the only one that had been officially tested for inhalation, due to its use in cigarettes.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
MOE is used by the FDA to calculate cancer risk associated with food additives. The FDA considers a food additive safe for ingestion if its concentration is 10,000 times lower than the concentration shown to be carcinogenic in rats, Jordt explained.
So the FDA wants a "safety factor" of 10,000.

"Depending on consumption rates, MOEs for the e-liquids ranged between 325 and 6,012;
So for people vaping this stuff, the "safety factor" is still at least several hundred, and more likely several thousand?

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Toxicity is measured in the amount of a substance over a specific time period right? So the more I use of a potentially toxic chemical, over say one day, the more toxic that chemical is likely to be to me? If that's true, would using 4 liquids with different flavor components over the course of a day reduce the possible harm? Not counting chemical interactions I mean. Is this a logical or flawed approach?

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have vaped nothing but menthol and wintergreen since I started vaping nearly 7 years ago. I died 2 months ago. I am writing this from beyond the grave to warn everyone that this stuff is deadly.

NOT.

Seriously, unless it turns out to be worse than smoking, I really do not care.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
The dose makes the poison. Right.

BTW, this is what I breathe in every breath I take living in CA on a good day:

https://oehha.ca.gov/air/general-info/toxic-air-contaminant-list-staff-reportsexecutive-summaries

When I'm stuck in traffic behind an 18-wheeler on a smoggy August day, I don't even want to know. :facepalm:

Cat vaping menthol/pear
"Dang, 4 down, 5 to go. I really need to avoid that mint flavor. I mean, I only have five lives left, you dig?"

Me
"Damn cats, they always ruin it for the rest of us mammals. Why can't they just vape tobacco's...?"

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've been vaping some amount of menthol for the last six years with no negative results so far. I don't hit it hard, I use enough to feel the flavor and the TH a bit, but no more. Ya, that doesn't mean it's safe, just that it's been working for me so far.

Hopefully it doesn't bite me sometime, but then again some other flavor might do that too.

The fact that its been smoked for so long without being a known problem leads me to think it's reasonably safe to vape.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
Toxicity is measured in the amount of a substance over a specific time period right? So the more I use of a potentially toxic chemical, over say one day, the more toxic that chemical is likely to be to me? If that's true, would using 4 liquids with different flavor components over the course of a day reduce the possible harm? Not counting chemical interactions I mean. Is this a logical or flawed approach?
@Blitzdonlife I feel it's both.

Balancing the intake of substances of which you do not know the exact toxicity is at the basis of our daily diet.

However, substances that are immediately toxic in low doses should not be part of that mix.

That's all fine considering health as just physical health. Most people frequently take in one or more less than healthy food items in a higher than ideal quantity. Think of sugary candy, highly caffeinated drinks, alcohol etc.

I feel this translates well to vaping when you want to compare using flavoured and unflavoured juices. Or juices with flavours we suspect are not great versus juices with flavours where we do not know very well.

Most of us are in one way or another at fault when it comes to considering our physical health first and foremost at all times. We do this because we feel our mind in one way or another requires this (flawed or chemically predisposed as that judgment may often be).

If you want to be consequential in your method, make your juice rotation varied and use very different flavours. Some flavour profiles have a number of ingredients that are used for making nearly all other juices within that same flavour profile.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada

Vaping Flavorpocalypse Comes to New York as State Health Authorities Order Emergency Ban
https://gizmodo.com/vaping-flavorpocalypse-comes-to-new-york-as-state-healt-1838201107

Barbot compared the rise of flavored Juul pods—and a surge in third party “Juul-alike” flavors after Juul pulled its fruity flavors from sale—to Big Tobacco’s aggressive marketing of menthol cigarettes in black neighborhoods. The FDA has accused Juul of marketing to underaged users and the evidence shows it’s hard to dispute otherwise.

• Informative
Reactions: 440BB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread