New 'baddie'. Mint/ menthol flavor causes cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
I don't know what Oliver said, but I checked @Kurt 's posts on the subject and he never had any problems with menthol. He did warn, however, about cinnamaldehyde and clove oils as those are serious lung irritants. And diacetyl and other diketones.

Where is @Kurt, our chemistry guru, when we need him?

He gave up vaping... That's the truth.

• Informative
Reactions: Ryedan

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Here is another new study from Australia.

Sorry bad timing, best to have it out there. Disregard if posted elsewhere.

Link to study in article: It's a new study on the same issue.

Vaping destroys lining and immune cells in the lung, says study

Bad timing indeed. So, right there, I have a problems with this statement--this is simply factually not true, and shows bias:

"The study comes as over 500 young men have been hospitalized with the same mysterious but debilitating complaints following vaping. This shows that government regulation needs to be tightened up, say the researchers. E-cigarettes contain a liquid, which is basically propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerine (VG) or a mixture. The liquid contains some type of flavoring – most often fruity, minty or candy – as well as nicotine, in some brands. The flavoring is typically safe for use in food. The nicotine concentration is not fixed. Cannabis has been found in some e-cigarettes."

And who exactly is this Dr. Liji Thomas, an OBG/Gyn? She obviously knows nothing about the current crisis or is misleading the readers. Not sure which is worse.

As for the study itself, I'll wait for more qualified people to evaluate/confirm/debunk. TBD

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Yea i tried to post the actual study but I couldnt for some reason. Yes of course, ignore all other statements lol

In the meantime, I'm reading this (by Dr. Farsalinos):

The emotional and irrational hysteria in the US about the “vaping-related” (or cannabis-related?) lung disease that goes far beyond confirmation bias

"What does this tell us from an epidemiological perspective (again, without considering any information about cannabis/THC use)?
  1. That these cases are not related to long-term use of e-cigarettes. The authorities have clarified that these are acute cases. Despite various media presenting this as a mysterious lung disease, it is in fact poisoning of the lungs which is clinically manifested as serious respiratory failure (perhaps ARDS, perhaps some form of severe lung inflammation leading to respiratory failure).
  2. That these cases are not related to vaping products that have been available for years in the US and global market. It makes absolutely no sense that the same products that have been used for several years by millions and never caused any disease outbreak are only today causing acute disease.
  3. That these cases are not related to products that are generally used by the average vaper. The average age of adult vapers in the US is different from the average age of adults that have suffered from this acute condition. Also, the number of cases is very low considering the millions of vapers in the US and the many more millions globally.
  4. That these cases are related to the recent release of new products (that were not previously available in the market), or to a recent modification in the composition of products previously available in the market, or to a recent problem in the manufacturing process or raw materials of products that were previously available in the market. This explains the timing of the outbreak. These products could be nicotine-containing or nicotine-free products (remember, we assume there is no information on THC/cannabis)."
Yes, I'm biased, too. But seriously, I've been vaping for almost 10 years (in December will be my 10th vaping anniversary) and I've had no ill effects WHATSOEVER. Au contraire. That is not to say that I refuse to listen to reason and good science. I have modified my vaping style over the years thank to information from people like Kurt and Dr. Farsalinos, just to mention those two. I mostly vape defensively--unflavored or barely flavored eliquids (3% flavoring or less), no diktones, no other known lung irritants (cinnamaldehyde, cloves, strong menthols/mints, etc,). I'm an MTL vaper--low volume, higher nic, plenty of airflow in my atomizers, low temperature (>420°). I don't chain vape and I often don't inhale at all to give my lungs a rest. As always, YMMV. My style may not work for other people.

Last edited:

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
That is not to say that I refuse to listen to reason and good science.
You're a little more careful with flavors and lung rest, and got another year on me, but yeah.. what you said (the whole post).

IMO the topic presented by the OP of this thread represents an opportunity to self educate, not panic. I don't use mints/menthols so probably will be less urgent about this quest for knowledge as others may be. On the surface, pulegone risk numbers in the one posted study are meaningless out of context. Seriously, it reads like a cancer scorecard which in and of itself makes it have less merit in my eyes. They only say a score of 1 means you're gonna get cancer from it. 10,000 means you most likely won't. So does a score of 100 mean I'm 100x less likely to catch cancer from it (1 x 100)? or 100x more likely than someone who doesn't use the product (10,000 / 100)? Or is it more linear, as in a score of 1,000 means 10% less risky versus 50% for a 5,000 score?

How do those statistics measure up against other known or suspected carcinogens in consumable foods and vape products? I dunno yet. It might be interesting to know how pulegone consumption scores stack up against some other products someone could consume somehow, like saccharin, a grilled cheese sandwich, and motor vehicle exhaust emissions.

It's nonsense, for the most part. That is, until we find some context. My own opinion nobody cares about is that it's about as relevant as the music selection played by the string quartet on the deck of the Titanic. There are just way too many proven risky things in life than mint flavored vape products nobody has reported suffering illness from in over a decade.

Sorry, no, you cannot get an "Amen" from me. People are upset and they post to express their displeasure, I support that expression.
Yes. General Vaping Discussion is my go-to, as it serves as a virtual front page news for me, for years. The moderators do an excellent job of consolidating duplicate posts. The topic lists is a very real reflection of what matters to the vape community at any given time. Today it's the health panic in the news. Tomorrow we'll be back to more threads about sneak vaping at work and who triggered me at Walmart when I walked through the parking lot making clouds.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
Currently I look at it like this, I no longer smoke which I know causes cancer. Vaping menthol and derivatives may cause cancer but keeps me from smoking, so it's still harm reduction at this point.

With this new information I will continue to vape it but will lower the levels I mix at to further reduce risk.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
All this hoopla about flavors. I agree that some may be harmful and most are benign. Some may be a zero risk for whatever and some may be somewhere in between. Most flavors are probably fine in low percentages.

Since the recent deaths in teenagers who vaped home made products with oil bases, we now know for sure that those are on the bad list. Most of us knew that oil bases aren't safe for vaping because we read it here on ECF. That, and Vicks oil based nose drops had to be reformulated to a water base when I was a school kid because people were sucking oil up into their lungs through the nose and showing signs of pneumonia.

A couple of years ago I began to vape 50/50 DIY unflavored here and there while mixing up juice and slowly shifted off the flavors and on to 100% unflavored. I still have some DIY flavors that I occasionally vape by adding a squirt to a tank, but that's not often. It seems for the moment that's the safest mix.

Maybe cooler heads will prevail as this thing plays out. :)

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
What I vape all day will likely have some menthol and mint for the foreseeable future. It's kept me off the smokes for over eight years and my breathing is better than it was 20 years ago. I consider it a minute risk based on my experience. Compared to the current vitamin E oil problem in the THC world this is nothing at all IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread