New member from UK-considering buying E-cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomoresmoxe

Jun 8, 2010
england
Hello I am from the UK and am considering buying an e-cigarette, as I need to stop smoking because I am slowly withdrawing from tranquilisers and the chemicals in roll your own can hinder my recovery in withdrawal.

I am a bit lost and don't know where to start.
I had a read on this forum, briefly, and it seems that you need a lot of different items in your kit, but you cannot get all of these items from one source.

I have some questions please.

1. I would like some advice on what bits to get, so I can begin my non smoking as soon as possible please?
  2. I know e-cigs obviously dont contain as many harmful chemicals, as normal tobacco, but do they contain any harmful chemicals?
  3. I intend to buy a nicotine e-cig and wondered if nicotine alone contained any harmful chemicals?
  4. Bearing in mind, you need various supplies, other than the inital outlay, does e-smoking work out a lot cheaper than regular smoking?
  5. Do people in the uk have problems trying to get all of the supplies?
I am pleased to have found this forum, before purchasing an e-cig, and thank you for reading my post.

NMS

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
UK E-Smokers - E-Cigarette Forum Have a read there as well - should give you info on buying locally; you can't post there yet unless a kind mod moves your post, you need jsut a few more posts to switch forums. There are online stores that operate in the UK at this time.
To answer a couple of your questions - ecigs (or rather the juice, the PV are just the hardware), contain nicotine, flavoring (usually food grade afaik), and either PG or VG, the carrier liquid. Thats all they contain but I can't tell you if any contaminants might get in at the point of production, they wouldn't be added in though . There's no tar.
Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, like caffiene, and should be used with the same caution that you use with anything that you're not supposed to have to excess. Afaik, its not a carcinogen like tar and other chemicals in cigs.
Obviously vaping isn't 'harm free' but its is believed to be 'harm reduced'.
As for saving cash - at the outset, no you won't save. Long term though yes - it works out a lot cheaper once you work out a flavor you like; then you're just buying things like new atties, replacement juice etc. If you decide you love mods though, you might not find you save as much lol

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
Welcome nomore. The first thing that I would suggest is that you pop on over to the ECF library and read the 6 part series called "The Wonderful World Of Vaping : An Illustrated Guide To E-cigs" by DonDaBoomVape. It Doesn't take that long. It's 6 parts but there's lots of illustrations and it's quite entertaining and informative. Don's a really good guy that has been a great help to countless new members. (I had to say that. He might be reading this :) )
To address your second question, most e-liquid contains one harmful chemical. Nicotine. There may have been a pre-filled cartridge or two exported from China that may have contained a trace of something or other but even then it was nothing compared to what's in each and every cigarette. I've solved the "mystery" of what is in my e-liquid by mixing it myself.
I'll address question #4 now. After the initial investment of a starter kit I figure I'm spending an average of $25.00 or $30.00 USD a month to maintain my vaping. I used to spend $250.00 plus on tobacco cigarettes so I'd say if vaping doesn't turn out to be less expensive for you than smoking then you must be doing something terribly wrong.
To answer question #5 I'll just post a link to the UK E-smokers forum page. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/uk-e-smokers/ You should be able to find any info you need there.
Cheers and much luck.:)

Grenage

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
I know e-cigs obviously dont contain as many harmful chemicals, as normal tobacco, but do they contain any harmful chemicals?

They shouldn't do, but unless you get every batch of chinese liquid tested, you can't be sure. There is no guarantee that e-cigs are safe, but if I were a betting man, I'd put a lot of money on them being so much safer than real cigs.

I intend to buy a nicotine e-cig and wondered if nicotine alone contained any harmful chemicals?

The liquid you buy is up to you, nicotine itself is a deadly poison - the liquid is heavily diluted.

Bearing in mind, you need various supplies, other than the inital outlay, does e-smoking work out a lot cheaper than regular smoking?

Hell yes! I spent about £250 a month on smokes; now I spend about £30-40 a month on e-cigs.

Do people in the uk have problems trying to get all of the supplies?

Some foreign suppliers, yes. UK companies are a bit more expensive than others, but it's minimal hassle.

portguy

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Portugal
They shouldn't do, but unless you get every batch of chinese liquid tested, you can't be sure. There is no guarantee that e-cigs are safe, but if I were a betting man, I'd put a lot of money on them being so much safer than real cigs.

Chinese or not chinese. I am pretty sure that the Dekang original juice is very safe.

But If safety of juice is a concern (as it should) you have Intellicig in UK. They meet the most demanding safety controls.

Also, if you find a reliable source for nic juice (there are some in UK) you can pretty much control your DIY juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread