Newbie with info overload

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixiejohn

Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Carlisle PA
First let me say that I’m a newbie to this forum and to the world of e-cigs. My wife and I are both smokers looking for an alternative. I have been a 2 pack a day smoker for more years than I care to count. My wife came home the other evening with this disposable e-cig that she picked up at a local market and said try this so we both tried it and liked it. Being the type of person I am I decided to do some research and after reading several different advertisements I stumbled upon this forum and I have to say WOW!!! I never knew that e-cigs had this much of a following. My dilemma now is there is just way too much info here for me to digest it all so this is where I ask for your help. I know that most of this has been asked several times over on here and that opinions differ from person to person but I just need some guidance from the great folks here.

What I’m looking for is an e-cig that will handle the wear and tear of daily use. I prefer something that is similar to a regular cig in size and shape. I also like the option of being able to refill the cartridges with the juice I like not just something over the counter. I really don’t have a preference as to manual or automatic battery. I do want something with a good battery life so I do not have to change every couple of hours. I’m not into building something out of different parts and pieces as I see some of the mods being done. I could go on and on but I think you get what I’m after so any guidance from the great folks here would be greatly appreciated.

lilac7779

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2011
East Tennessee
Last edited:

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
An eGo isn't the same shape as an analog (about the size of a Sharpie). Thing is the battery on it should last you almost the whole day. They generally run about $40-$60, MadVape's kit is a good example. Using them cause I had the page up and was easiest to get the link.

It has a 510 thread (popular) so there are a lot of options for it from cartos to tanks. Without getting into mods or variable voltage it's about the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Stef64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2011
Michigan
Cigarette size and long lasting battery do not go together. The battery on a cigarette sized PV will only last for a couple of hours of average vaping. If you really want a cigarette sized PV I suggest a KR-808 device. If you don't mind something a little larger (more like a cigar) that will give you better battery life and more options as to atomizer/cartomizer look into the eGo and similar devices (Riva, KGo, ePower). An eGo type battery will last for 6+ hours of average vaping. Look at the mAh rating of the battery. Rule of thumb is every 100 mAh = 1 Hr of average vaping.

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
If your looking for something with decent battery life, then I wouldnt get a slim ecig.(one that looks like a cig). They have small batteries and need to be recharged frequently. But if you do want to use a slim ecig, the Volt like mentioned above and also the ones from Vapor4life are popular.
Something with a bigger battery though will give you a ;lot better battery life and personally I feel they give a better vape.
There are quite a few inexpensive bigger battery PVs that are very easy to use and you dont have to use many different parts. Also a bigger battery PV will allow you to use low resistance attys/cartos too. Slim ecigs can only use standard resistance, 2.5-3.0ohms.
I would get a manual battery. Most people prefer and recommend them. Auto batteries can be killed with juice leaks. A manual battery is sealed and wont die as easily if you accidentily have a juice leak. Also manual batteries give you a better control over your vape. Most people get used to the manual battery very quickly,and end up liking it alot more.
Check out the Riva, kGo, and E-Power. All are nice 3.7V PVs that are inexpensive and are easy to use. They all have 510 connections which is the most popular so you will be able to use a wide variety of atts/cartos. I recommend using cartomizers over an atty and cartridge. Cartomizers are one piece and have an atty inside them. They are much more consistant and hold alot more juice so you can refill a lot less often. Most people prefer cartomizers.
Liberty Flights has a great deal for the Riva and has different size batteries that you can choose from.
Hoosierecigsupply has a good deal on the kGo and it is a really solid PV. It has 1100mah batteries so they will last all day. Generally 100mah= 1 hr of vaping.
I have an E-Power and really like it. Its easy to use and its the only one out of the three I mentioned that uses non-proprietary batteries. The batteries are alot cheaper to replace and are 1050mah. I get about a day to a day and a half on one battery. Also everything is replaceable on the E-Power so its cheap to maintain. If your switch dies or you need a new battery, you can buy just the battery or switch. With proprietary battery PVs, the tube, battery, and switch are all one piece. So if you need a new switch you basically have to replace the whole unit. I also find it very easy to carry a spare battery. With proprietary battery PVs, to carry a spare, you have to basically carry a second PV. With the E-Power you can just carry an extra battery and when you need to replace it, screw off the switch and put in a new battery. The batteries are about the size of a AA but alittle longer. Crystal Clear Vaping has a good deal on the E-Power and you get $25 of free stuff. Free 5-pack of Ressurector cartomizers, free 30ml juice of your choice, and free shipping. Put in ecf5off and get 5% off the order. Its a great deal and would give you everything you need to get started.
All three are great PVs though and would give you what your looking for. Personally I like the E-Power and kGo, but the Riva is also a really nice PV.
Alot of people start with a slim ecig bc they feel its important to have it look like a cig to start, but then end up moving on to a bigger battery PV bc they slim ecig doesnt give them enough. Most people end up not caring if it looks like a cig, but I do understand if you want it too in the beginning. The bigger battery PVs I mentioned are actually not really any more expensive than most slim ecigs. Many slim ecigs are even alot more expensive. And the bigger battery PVs will allow you to use LR attys/cartos which most people prefer. They give a warmer vape and more TH.
I would try a pack of Boge cartomizers to start. They work really well and are popular. Plus their not overly big so I think their easier for a beginner to learn on.

Goodluck with everything and welcome to ECF!

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Hi new user. I don't think people recommend this often but there's a series here called the wonderful world of vaping. It is six post long but might only take you about 20 minutes to read. It's very well done and gives you a great overview of the many options that are available to you and the advatanges and disadvantages of each type of e-cig or PV as the term here is used. The is probably the most comprehensive over view we have here on ECF and was a tremendous help to me when I started. I still go back to it now and again when I'm looking for general information on a product.

cactusgirl

Sage Tribal Queen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
You've been given some great advice here so far! You might want to take some time to read the FAQ pages in the stickies in the top section of this forum.

I have one bit of advice for you though....if you're looking for something that's going to give you more than a couple of hours of battery life, a cig-like looking device is not going to do it -- their mah ratings are generally low. You're best bet would be to start with a 650 mah device (eGo type device that is about the size of a sharpie) and then experiment a bit with atomizers and cartomizers to see which fit you best.

Last edited:

annah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2009
Virginia Beach
I owned a DSE901, and then bought a joye 510 when I started vaping 2 years ago. The 901 I hated, impossible to draw on, like trying to suck a watermelon through a straw. The 510 I liked, but the battery didn't last long enough for me. Some technical difficulties losing a battery charger, and a multi-day power outage, and I ended up back on analogs. Fast forward to present. I just got an Ego, and am in love. I've only been on the ego a week now, but it was super easy to quit smoking. I rotate 2 egos, because I chain vape (former 2 pack a day smoker), and I don't want to over heat it. The 2 I am rotating last me the entire day, from morning when I charge them, until the next morning when I charge them again (battery still going, I charge it anyway)

IMO, a cig feeling cig isn't much of an issue. You can't hold them the same way, because of the weight (think top heavy, so it tries to fall out of your fingers), so you end up holding it different. Because of that, I don't see any benefit in having one that is analog sized. And from my experience, bigger is better. The bigger the PV, the better the battery life. (my 510 was smaller, but I had to change batteries multiple times a day) It is also my experience that a manual battery is better. New users (and old alike, myself included) overfill carts often, and if it is overfilled, it is likely to leak and ruin the automatic battery. However, the manual battery is just another reason that you can't hold it like an analog, because you need a finger for the button.

wellersl

Verified Member
Dec 5, 2011
Los Alamos, NM
Howdy and welcome, dixiejohn.

I was in *exactly* the same boat you're in. I hope I left it tidy.

I went with a Joye 510 Starter kit. They can be had for well under $40 and you can choose from auto, manual, or a combination of both batteries. Then, once you've had a chance to use it for awhile, you should have a better feel for what you really want in an e-smoke. I'm still very pleased with the charge life of the stock 510 battery, but I wanted more juice capacity so I have some larger cartridges on order.

For me, one of the biggest factors in choosing a 510 system, is the near infinite number of configurations it offers.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Maximillian

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2011
Nebraska
Heyas dixiejohn,

What Cactusgirl said :p

Like everyone has said, since you've tried a disposable, and like vaping, your first major hurdle is trying to get past wanting it to look like and be the size of an analog. Cig sized devices just don't have the battery life to satisfy most. And a slim batt pv can't handle lr atty's/cartos or dual coil cartos, which most prefer on a starter device. They just give more flavor/vapor/th/etc.

If you can get past it being the size and shape of a cig, the world is your oyster. A couple of good starter kits are the joye ego or riva 510. Both available from liberty flights for a good price. Liberty flights is often recommended here, and I've found them to be a great vendor. Great prices, service, and selection. The kgo is another ego clone that many like. Hoosiers has good prices on them, and I've also ordered from hoosiers several times with good results.

After a couple local purchases like the disposable your wife brought home, I went with a fat batt model. A joye ego. I never regretted it for a moment. The time it took me to get used to the size/shape would have to be measured in miliseconds. And I too started off wanting something that looked, felt, and was the same size and shape of an analog. If you try it, I really think you'll find it's just not a big deal. And I still use my ego batts today. They're convenient, they work, and I'm not afraid of banging them around.

If you're dead set on a slim batt model, many here recommend bloog, vapor 4 life, and smokeless image for a kr8 device. About the diameter of an analog, but still longer.

For the size and shape of an analog king, you're looking at a Blu which is WAY overpriced and is very poorly regarded around here, or maybe a 401 or 306 device, neither of which is very common.

Hope this helps. Feel free to stop back in with any other questions.

And remember, everyones taste is different. So read lots and lots of stuff here, and decide for yourself. Then at some point, take the plunge, pull the trigger, and order some gear and a variety of small bottles of juice, and dive in. Alot of questions will be answered for you once you have the gear in your hands to play with. And alot of other questions will never occur to you, until you have the gear in your hands to play with :p

:D

Maximillian the Courier Observant

bigtiime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2011
Virginia
Welcome dixiejohn! Always nice to see a couple making this change together. :) Another option for you two might be to go to a local shop and discuss this with them. Sometimes talking face to face with a knowledgeable person and being able to see and possibly test some of the hardware is worth many posts. This link may help you find a vape shop close to your location. Good luck to both of you!

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Congrats on making the switch over to vaping! You'll both be healing your bodies from all that tar and toxic buildup before you know it.

You can't go wrong with an eGo or a Kgo either one. The Kgo likes Boba's Bounty, something to keep in mind for future preferences. PBusardo has a good review of the KGO at youtube. (as do many other reviewers).
The eGo is exceptional... it lasts a good 6-8 hours between charges, and it charges fast with it's dedicated charger.

The Volt is a great little slim one. You will have to recharge every 3.5 hours or so, but they're so handy for hands free times like playing xbox or cards or just drinking your morning coffee, or more importantly, for those times you go out in public. (get a purple, green or blue LED though, so you don't catch flack from the terrorists otherwise known as ANTZ).
The Volt has a consistant 3.7v vape until it needs recharging. Plus you can pick up diamond endcaps for bling...

Truth be told, you'll be purchasing one of each anyway, for those times mentioned. Figure out which is the most important to you at the moment (battery life and winter stomrs?) and go for it. Like Arnold says ... "you'll be baaaack" anyway.

Once you know which juice you like, pick up some EMDCC's for your eGo and you'll be good to go all day long...

Best of luck to both of you.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
...what "mynameisrob" said...couldn't have said it better...the Riva510(6-8hr batts) available from liberty-flights is a good solid unit and what I started with...the kGo(11-12hr batts) from hoosierecigsupply is a major step up battery power wise...these are both proprietary batt models which Rob explained...these batts cost 12-17bux to replace...the E-Power, which is what I now use had drop in batts like a flashlite and they are 5-9bux to replace and give 12-14hrs of vape time...the Riva/kGO are near Sharpie sized, the E-Power is just a tad fatter...crystalclearvaping.com, with the freebies they throw in has, the best deal but, Hoosier's comes close...do not get any "T" style tank system...they sound good on paper but don't perform all that well in person...cartomizers, specifically the 2.0 and 1.7ohm versions work extremely well with these devices...all of these kits will getcha vaping for around 50-60 bux...keep on reading and learning OR just jump in there and buy one of the 3 mentioned above and get to VAPING..........
madjack:2cool:

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
Don't get me wrong, the eGo is a solid PV and works really well. As you can see there are many many many people that use them and really like them. Personally I just feel like if your going to get a PV like that, why get an eGo when you can get a similar 3.7V PV for basically the same price. The eGo is 3.2-3.4V, while the kGo, Riva, and EPower are 3.7V. I don't have an eGo, but have used one for a few days and the 3.7V PVs def give more oomph than an eGo. Granted the eGo is regulated which is nice bc it gives a pretty consistant vape, but they just don't hit like a 3.7V does. A 3.7V gives a slightly warmer vape and slightly more TH than an eGo. Personally I like the kGo and EPower more than the Riva bc while the Riva starts off at 3.7V, it starts to hit more like an eGo as the battery drains. It still is nice though and VERY affordable (LibertyFlights + 20% off) so that's why I still recommend it. The kGo actually comes off the charger at around 4.2V and gives a super nice vape with a fresh battery, and then levels off at around 3.7V as the battery drains. I really like the EPower the most though bc it really just gives an awesome vape. It is marketed as a regulated 3.7V device, and I dOnt really care if it is or not. Some say it is, some say it isn't. I don't care either way, bc regardless if it is or not, I find it gives a very consistant vape. I barely notice any difference from a battery fresh off the charger to a battery I've been using most of the day. I also really like the EPower for all the reasons I mentioned before, cheap to maintain, replaceable parts, much easier to carry spare batteries, etc. If I hadnt bought the EPower, I would have def bought the kGo.

I also recommend the 3.7V PVs over the eGo bc they handle LR attys/cartos alot better. If your a person that really likes using low resistances, you put yourself at greater risk to fry your PV with an eGo, than with a 3.7V. Many people use 1.5-1.7ohm cartos on an eGo and never haves problem, BUT there are a lot of people that have turned their eGo into a paperweight using the real low resistances. 1.5-1.7ohms put a lot of stress on the eGo mosfet. Using them is kind of like playing Russian roulette. They might work fine for awhile, but the constant stress is not good. Attys and cartos can drop in ohms slightly too with prolonged use. A 1.5ohm carto might not fry the eGo for awhile, but if that carto happens to drop and ctually is running at around 1.3ohms, that could push it too far and bam.. Just like that, dead eGo. That's why for an ego I don't recommend using anything under 2.0ohms. The 1.5-1.7ohms give you very little room for error. At least with a 2.0ohm carto, if it drops slightly, there's less chance that the drop will kill it. Many people use the Boge 2.0ohm cartos on an eGo without any problems. I have quite a few friends that use LR cartos on eGo and haven't killed one yet, but it cn still happen. One of my best friends just killed his eGo last Saturday using a Ressurector.
LR attys/ cartos can also fry a 3.7V, but it's alot less likely. I've used 1.5 and 1.7ohm cartos on a Riva, kGo and EPower and they handle them well. There is even a 1.5ohm dual coil that holds alittle over 5ml of juice that is designed specifically for the EPower.

So all that is why I like the 3.7V PVs more than the eGo. I'm not saying th eGo isn't a good PV, because it def is, I just personally feel like for the same amOunt of money for an eGo, you can get a similar device that gives alittle more oomph and can use lower resistance attys/cArtos with less risk of frying the PV.
To the op, this is just my personal observation and opinion. I think you will be very happy with any of the devices I mentioned, including the eGo. All of them are satisfying and will help you kick the nasty cig habit.

Goodluck with everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread