Non-smoker vapper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeferdy

Jul 8, 2012
Singapore
Hi everyone,

I know one of the major selling points of E-cig to be put out on public debate is to use it as a tool to help smokers quit smoking.

I myself is a non-smoker and I don't plan on picking up primitive tobacco smoking and inhaling burnt plant matter into my lungs. But I have smoker friends whom I'd like for them to quit smoking.

So, just wondering, are there any casual non-smoker vappers out there? Is it advisable? I am planning to get one of those 0mg nicotine cartridges or lowest mg cartridge so I can introduce and vap together with my friends. Sounds like a good or bad idea?

Vandelay

Jul 3, 2012
New Mexico
Just my personal opinion here...

The problem here is that opponents of vaping are pointing out that all the tantalizing flavors, bright colors, and shameless advertising of e-cig vaping products is creating a gateway that lures non-smokers into nicotine addiction.
They are quick to point out that vaping nicotine products still poses a serious cardiac risk to the human heart, and that nicotine is a highly toxic and addictive substance.
In light of this, I can not promote any non-smoker getting involved with vaping; even zero nicotine, because it's only a small step away from getting hooked on nicotine.

Last edited:

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
Just my personal opinion here...

The problem here is that opponents of vaping are pointing out that all the tantalizing flavors, bright colors, and shameless advertising of e-cig vaping products is creating a gateway that lures non-smokers into nicotine addiction.
They are quick to point out that vaping nicotine products still poses a serious cardiac risk to the human heart, and that nicotine is a highly toxic and addictive substance.
In light of this, I can not promote any non-smoker getting involved with vaping; even zero nicotine, because it's only a small step away from getting hooked on nicotine.

I concur 100%

donneee

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2012
Norfolk, VA, USA
i see the points made above, but if your always out and about with your friends who you say smoke analogs around you, i'm surprised you haven't succumb to peer pressure. Personally i think if you've handled your weight so far avoiding tobacco products, i'm sure you wouldn't make that transfer to vaping nic juices.

Your goal to promote a less hazardous way of getting a nicotine fix to your peers is the brighter side, but how easily you could potentially acquire a nicotine addiction renders this neutral to me and i'm sure other people as well. If i could really give a reason, it'd just come down to peer pressuring; just like how cigarettes get into the hands of underage teens.

I remember when any cigarette brands that had "Light" or "Medium" or "Extra Light" had to change to Gold, Blue, and Silver because of the characteristics behind those words. Argument being that it was less harmful then the full flavored version. Camel was also sued or at least had a bunch of complaints a few years ago when they came out with fruity flavored cigarettes. Many parents were concerned with that due to the allure it gave to teens.

Anyways, that's the backstory. Let's take a look at e-juice. We have a choice in how much nic we want in it, even down to 0, and we have fruity flavors...

I'd have to agree with Vandelay, even though i feel neutral about your proposed idea. If you already don't smoke, why vape? Rather then start a habit of your own to get your friends of their habits, take them to a vaping store near you and let them try themselves. :D

[Of course they are other reasons behind some vapers though (add/adhd/aadd/some other variation of add, oral fixations, ect) mind you].

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
I know 2 people that are interested in vaping, both non-smokers. The tech, flavours, and community are what has them interested. The only way they'll buy nicotine juice is...well, they won't. I really do not feel vaping is a "gateway" to using nicotine and analogues, it's the other way around. It's simply incomparable to a non-smoker. The burnt ash tar stink, or a nice cheesecake after dinner? No contest.

A lot/most of us use vaping as a way to stop smoking (I don't see many folks talkign about nic- juice on here often), but I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to start vaping just to enjoy all it offers without worrying about getting hooked on nicotine or analogues. Why buy a primetime for the occasional celebration when they can keep 3ml samplers in the fridge for those times? No contest.

Adults can make adult decisions. They know the risks. They know what nicotine is and what it does (not how kids are shown bad pictures, they've seen family die from it, and know how addiction works). These aren't children and if they want to buy into it they will regardless. I will be pointing them towards ECF so they can make an informed decision on their own (which is what you are doing here).

When I was a smoker I would give them a smoke every once in a bit, now I open a bottle of old nic- and drip some dr. pepper for them. They don't rush off to the gas station to buy a pack of marls.

Now then, I don't advise non-smokers to start. I won't stop them though, and I'll encourage vaping over tobacco every step of the way. I don't know you, or your personal habits and how you handle things, but if you're an adult you can make the decision on your own. The fact is: vaping is much safer than tobacco and if you were to pick up a new habit I'd rather it be vapes. If you want to be "in the group" and social, vaping is the wiser alternative. I would highly recommend NOT buying nic+ juice, just so you don't end up running out of nic- and figure a bit of nicotine won't hurt. It won't much, but addiction isn't fun.

So I went on a bit of a tangent here, and think I screwed up some pronouns and tenses, but yea. You're an adult, you know the risks.

Mikeferdy

Jul 8, 2012
Singapore
Thanks for the honest information and opinion guys. Well, I personally have tried shisha and shisha didn't get me addicted to nicotine. I'm just wondering if the same thing could be said about E-cigarettes, especially the lowest mg cartridges. So I'm so I'm wondering if any non-smoker got addicted to E-cigarette nicotine before or is it just over blown scare stories. Eg: Like if an non drinker tries beer, he will automatically be hooked and be an alcoholic.

About peer pressure, I'm a tough nut to crack. My friends never got me hooked on anything coz I usually see myself as calculative and decisive. I'm usually the guy in the group to tell everyone "this is a bad idea". Anyway, I'd figure peer pressure could work both ways. Maybe I could peer pressure my friends to start vapping by vapping myself with the 0mg cartridges.

i see the points made above, but if your always out and about with your friends who you say smoke analogs around you, i'm surprised you haven't succumb to peer pressure. Personally i think if you've handled your weight so far avoiding tobacco products, i'm sure you wouldn't make that transfer to vaping nic juices.

Your goal to promote a less hazardous way of getting a nicotine fix to your peers is the brighter side, but how easily you could potentially acquire a nicotine addiction renders this neutral to me and i'm sure other people as well. If i could really give a reason, it'd just come down to peer pressuring; just like how cigarettes get into the hands of underage teens.

I remember when any cigarette brands that had "Light" or "Medium" or "Extra Light" had to change to Gold, Blue, and Silver because of the characteristics behind those words. Argument being that it was less harmful then the full flavored version. Camel was also sued or at least had a bunch of complaints a few years ago when they came out with fruity flavored cigarettes. Many parents were concerned with that due to the allure it gave to teens.

Anyways, that's the backstory. Let's take a look at e-juice. We have a choice in how much nic we want in it, even down to 0, and we have fruity flavors...

I'd have to agree with Vandelay, even though i feel neutral about your proposed idea. If you already don't smoke, why vape? Rather then start a habit of your own to get your friends of their habits, take them to a vaping store near you and let them try themselves. :D

[Of course they are other reasons behind some vapers though (add/adhd/aadd/some other variation of add, oral fixations, ect) mind you].

I know 2 people that are interested in vaping, both non-smokers. The tech, flavours, and community are what has them interested. The only way they'll buy nicotine juice is...well, they won't. I really do not feel vaping is a "gateway" to using nicotine and analogues, it's the other way around. It's simply incomparable to a non-smoker. The burnt ash tar stink, or a nice cheesecake after dinner? No contest.

A lot/most of us use vaping as a way to stop smoking (I don't see many folks talkign about nic- juice on here often), but I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to start vaping just to enjoy all it offers without worrying about getting hooked on nicotine or analogues. Why buy a primetime for the occasional celebration when they can keep 3ml samplers in the fridge for those times? No contest.

Adults can make adult decisions. They know the risks. They know what nicotine is and what it does (not how kids are shown bad pictures, they've seen family die from it, and know how addiction works). These aren't children and if they want to buy into it they will regardless. I will be pointing them towards ECF so they can make an informed decision on their own (which is what you are doing here).

When I was a smoker I would give them a smoke every once in a bit, now I open a bottle of old nic- and drip some dr. pepper for them. They don't rush off to the gas station to buy a pack of marls.

Now then, I don't advise non-smokers to start. I won't stop them though, and I'll encourage vaping over tobacco every step of the way. I don't know you, or your personal habits and how you handle things, but if you're an adult you can make the decision on your own. The fact is: vaping is much safer than tobacco and if you were to pick up a new habit I'd rather it be vapes. If you want to be "in the group" and social, vaping is the wiser alternative. I would highly recommend NOT buying nic+ juice, just so you don't end up running out of nic- and figure a bit of nicotine won't hurt. It won't much, but addiction isn't fun.

So I went on a bit of a tangent here, and think I screwed up some pronouns and tenses, but yea. You're an adult, you know the risks.

donneee

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2012
Norfolk, VA, USA
well i for one would say they're over blow scare stories. but in the eyes of OCD fighting individuals, anything can be addictive. When i first started vaping i blew over 200 dollars trying to get the best of the best my local vendor had. not for any reason relating to substance addiction, but my own compelling habit of wanting the best of the best is what made me do that. Even now, i'm still looking for the best ________ to try. Always wanting better is my own vice of an addiction. and new/better things cost lots of money.

Addictive personalities should be wary i suppose. Cause my habit went from computer hardware to vaping hardware lol. But that's just me. and it makes me happy.

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
I don't think you'll find someone here that has gotten hooked on nic+ coming from non-smoking, mainly because a non-smoker will be looking at 0mg juice over nic+. Nicotine IS addictive, you won't take one puff and turn into a fiend over night, but it definitely has hooks.

IF you are considering using a PV, skip nic+ altogether. Don't even consider it an option for yourself. If you want you can get a small bottle of nic+ for friends to sample, but I don't recommend you using it. As I posted, addiction is not fun, and nicotine creeps up on you. Most of us started smoking tobacco at 1-2 singles a day in our teens, 20 years later are still doing it at 1-3 packs a day, and we justify the costs to health and finances in order to feed the beast.

We generally turn to PVs because the other NRTs haven't worked after multiple attempts (heck, I was smoking while using patches a week before I ordered my first kit). You don't want to even look down that road.

Note* I have a ridiculously addictive personality, not just to chems but actions and objects too. I've invested a few hundred $ into PVs in the past 3 weeks. The hardware/software of vaping is actually helpful for my quitting, a new focus. I have a PV I am happy with now so most of my old smoking money is in the bank (well, June 13 according to this sig).

Last edited:

tribe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Northern VA
The only thing I would change in my life if I would get the chance to be born again is to not put anything except air in my lungs. I'm sure I would have been a famous sports star if I didn't have the stupid idea of starting smoking at age 15. Now I'm 56 and have smoked for 40+ years. I'm still lucky that I can bike and jog and I'm grateful to the e-cig that allowed me to stop killing myself like an idiot.

Your smoker friends will gain nothing seeing a non smoker like you vaping so don't even bother to start putting untested stuff in your lungs. just my opinion...

Michael Curry

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
Panama City, FL
... I can not promote any non-smoker getting involved with vaping; even zero nicotine, because it's only a small step away from getting hooked on nicotine.

If 0mg Nic is a risk for nicotine addiction, then by that we should also avoid consuming any liquids as well. After all, a glass of water is only a small step away from becoming an alcoholic.

Using 0 Nic is not a rsik. And as I have said many times here - If someone is considering picking up a PV, it suggests that they are prime for picking up something. Better a PV than a cigarette. Others, of course, disagree and prefer that people risk their lives to 'earn the right' to vape.

To each their own, I guess.

Reactions: JessVapes

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
I'm torn. Part of me would think this is like a non smoker with a hookah for the flavors...but better.

But the part of me who look at those people and wonders why they do it wonders why you would WANT to start something like this unless like many of us it is the lesser of two evils.

I say no. But I won't judge someone who does it...I just hope they stay 0 nic.

Tanya612

Verified Member
Jun 24, 2012
Dayton, OH
I am a non-smoker who enjoys vaping 0mg nic and have no reason or desire to use nicotine. I enjoy the act of vaping, the tech aspect of it, and if I can educate a smoker who is looking for an alternative to smoking then that's a plus! I think regardless of what habit one picks up or chooses to start they should make an informed decision.

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
I am a non-smoker who vapes 1-1.6 mg nicotine (mainly because it's in the cheapest disposable that I can find). I vape to curb my terrible habit of biting my nails, and I also vape to normalize the behavior in indoor public places in hopes that smokers will notice what I'm doing and will eventually switch to E-Cigarettes. I even have a friend who still smokes analogs. When I see him again in a few days, I'm going to converse with him more about vaping. I'd like to set an example for him.

To add, I have never smoked hookah, cigars, or pipes. I enjoy going to hookah bars however, and if I had to choose, I'd prefer smelling cigar smoke over cigarette smoke any day of the week.

Last edited:

reckless

Apr 23, 2012
new jersey
taking into what everybody has said and good points all around. heres what i can offer you in experiance wether its right or wrong. my wife hated me somking. she hated smokers. it was constant fight between us. then i got turned on to vaping and she loved that it didn't stink up the house and car. that it even smelled nice. she tried it a couple of time and loved the tasted but didn't like the head rush she got from nicotine. so we ordered some 0mg nic juices. now not only do we not fight about me smoking but it has given us something to bond, socalize over and we both really enjoy. she wouldn't give up her pv as much as i wouldn't give up mine. and she has no desire what so ever to put any nicotine in any of her juices. she has her case and i have mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread