noob questions: cartridges/PG:VG/trio51

Status
Not open for further replies.

zewda

Sep 20, 2011
Toronto, canada
Apologies in advance if this has been asked many times before, but I'm really trying to figure this out! Fairly new in the vaping world, and only signed up for ECF yesterday!

I'm using the Trio 51, and can't tell if it's great or whether it sucks as it is all that I know at this stage! I'm stuck with the wrong refills (nic dose) for now, and luckily (thanks to the folks on the Canada sub-forum) I'm ready to order juice! My question or questions are:

- I'm thinking of buying eliquid and a bunch of blank cartridges/filters. Are the cartridges/filters one size fits all models, or is there something that I need to be paying attention to? Also, I have a few full cartridges that I'm working on. When I'm done, can I use the same ones for a different brand, same flavour (tobacco), higher nic dose or is this a big no no?

- A few folks on here, have recommended a PG:VG mix (80:20). Are there juice bottles that are readily mixed, or is it something that I have to do myself? I quickly browsed a few websites, and I can't see PG:VG "concentration" info on any so far. More than happy to mix myself, just thought I'd double check if there's a better solution. Also, are there any dos and don'ts when it comes to mixing?

- Given that I know nothing other than the Trio 51, is there something else that members here generally prefer? Am I missing out on a lot by sticking to the Trio 51? Still at the exploring stage, happy to try something else based on recommendations. Perhaps a quick intro would help. Relatively heavy smoker, smoke about a pack a day. Looking to completely get off analogs, and eventually (gradually) reduce the nicotine intake to ~0 mg.

I realize that this may be a pretty loaded post. If these questions have already been answered somewhere else, if someone can point me to a link/links, I'd be more than glad to do some reading under a different thread.

Thanks in advance!

Zewda

technovapir

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA, USA
Hi Zewda!
I don't know what a trio 51 is...
But some other answers to confuse you...
Most cartridges/atomizers/cartomizers are made for specific sizes. 510 & 808 are the two most common sizes. You'll need to find out which type your trio is.
Some vendors sell their eliquid premixed vg/pg ratio. Some offer you a choice when you order. 80/20 & 50/50 are the ones I see pre-mixed regularly. If the seller doesn't tell you what it is, you can email them to ask.
Hope this helps!

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
Welcome Zewda! :)

Don't know Trio either, but can tell you I went through 4 kits before finding my "right" combination (should have read more ECF then). Most folks use the generic KR808D-1 or Joye 510 series models and refill generic cartridge or cartomizers (atomizer and juice cartridge together) with e-juice purchased separately. Cartrige/cartomizers are NOT one size fits all, must be matched to correct model e-cig. E-juice, however, can be customized many ways. Both hardware and juice vendors can be found in Forum Suppliers.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Premixed but not all vendors offer all PG/VG ratios.

I think your model is like Blu - tiny short-life battery which is electrically incompatible with 510 chargers and vica versa as in fry or explode, 510-compatible threading

If you are using atomizer with separate cartridge, you can use any PG/VG as long as it flows at least as fast as you vape it (VG is thick). Cartridges are totally specific to the atomizer they are meant to fit on. You cannot use another model cartridges on your atomizer nor vice versa. HOWEVER a 510 standard resistance atomizer might fit your model or a Joye 306 standard resistance atomizer might fit your model BUT they each need their own cartridges (510 atty needs 510 carts, 306 atty needs 306 carts)

For cartomizers...
Try Boge 510 3 ohm (standard resistance) cartomizers on your Trio - they may fit.

I use 20% or less VG in these cartos. I use a couple of 100% PG juices too but the bit of VG adds nice vapor and smooths out nicotine's irritation

For 80PG/20VG juices see Juicy Vapor, and FreedomSMokeUSA offers all of it's Flavor Range flavors and tobaccos in any PG/VG. VaporBomb offers any PG/VG but may list it backwards so order carefully.

I also use a couple of Vapor4Life WOW juices which are thin (WOWbacco and WOW Vanilla)

Madvapes juices are cheap and thin and vary in quality (read the comments) and they have good prices on 100% PG Chinese juice, as does LiteCigUSA.net where you can find more flavors. LiteCigUSA.net also sell the 3 ohm (approx) Boge standard resistance 510 cartomizers. Slim ecigs cannot use the hotter 2 ohm ones.

And at some point consider upgrading a bit to Joye 510 manual batteries and charger. (just don't put these in your Trio charger nor vice versa - very dangerous). Manuals make it easier to get a good hit and the 510 manuals are totally sealed on the threaded end so they are safe from being damaged or killed by juice leaks (and sometimes a filled cartomizer WILL leak). The Joye 510 mega xl manuals has even more charge but are long (128mm w/ a cartomizer)

Then the upgrade path from slim 510 is to the fat battery 510 models like Ego and Riva 510 and all of the 510-threaded mods (most mods)

---

Alternate starter is KR808D-1 with a model like Vapor4Life.com, SmokelessImage Volt, Bloogplanet Maxxfusion or Halocigs G6 and I recommend manuals or that you have at least one manual. Harder for carto leaks to damage or kill manuals, easier to get a good hit.

Last edited:

Wate2028

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
sc
I believe the trio51 is a kr808d threading so you will want to use KR808d cartomizers, try vapor4life.com and puresmoker.com, probably want to grab a few empty cartomizers and a few small bottles of juice to try. I really liked the Tonic Silver Leaf Menthol when I tried it from Puresmoker. You can refill a cartomizer by poping off the cap on the top of it and dripping a drops onto the filling until it looks wet.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Incorrect. The Smoke 51 DUO is KR808D-2 aka E9 threading which is incompatible with KR808D-1. VaporKings.com and AZSMokeFree have some KR808D-2 stuff and lecig has a D2 to D1 adapter.

But the original poster does not have Duo. They have the Trio which has a female threaded battery with I believe 510-compatible threading, just like Blu (i.e L88b).

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Rule of Thumb: the more it looks like the real thing, the worse the performance.

For better performance in a "beginner" model, look at the E-Power/Riva/Ego line of PV's. You will get around 5 hours of battery time and warmer vapor than what you have now. For beginners on ECF, they are the most popular entry level models:

e-Power

Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - E-Power

Nhaler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread