Ohm reader and box mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fajar

Mar 27, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
Man do i love this forum! Alot more helpful and responsive than the local forum in my country,,
I don't think I'll have any intentions on learning to build those super sub ohm coils, to much hassle IMO,, As for mods, I'm eyeing on the evic mini+toptank mini for my start on RTAs, the dna200 is way off my budget XD
Really amped to learn more about RTA's, though it's gonna be awhile before actually trying one out, seeing as I've only started vaping last week,, Lol
Thanks a bunch for the tips and info guys!

Last edited:

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
I'm in almost the same boat. I've only used Ego's so far but I've been looking to upgrade and decided on a Toptank mini as well, just like TS.

I do already own a decent multimeter but I figured one with a 510 thread would be much easier to use, plus you have something to build on as well.

There's plenty of cheap (5 US$ or so) boxes for sale but I went looking for something a bit more stylish and came across this one:

26115327565_7d9e80326f_b.jpg

You can find them on ebay & Gearbest for less then ten bucks including shipping (look for "Tomtop atomizer checker"), they come in different colors and it is USB rechargeable so doesn't require extra batteries.

Some specs:

Material: Aluminum Alloy
Resistance Range: 0~20(ohm)
Voltage Range: 0~12V
Accuracy: 0.01V / 0.01 ohm
Battery: 3.7V 270mA
Input Voltage: USB DC 5V
Estimated Standby Time: 30 Hours
Charging Time: 30 Minutes
Item Size: 45 * 25mm / 1.77 * 0.98in (Dia. * H)
Item Weight: 41g / 1.47oz
Package Size: 7.5 * 5.5 * 3cm / 2.95 * 2.16 * 1.18in (L * W * H)
Package Weight: 63g / 2.22oz

I can't find any reviews on it except on Gearbest so it might suck, but even then I figured I just have a nice atty stand, lol. I'll compare values with my trusty multimeter when it gets here & do a little review on it if people are interested.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. I recommend a stand alone meter, myself. I like them because you'll find, as you acquire more mods, they are not calibrated to read the same. I also think it's useful to do all your building on one meter as this helps you attain consistency. A stand alone also helps you mentally "calibrate" your mods' meters so you can get the same vape across different platforms. Finally, the meter itself serves as a handy building stand and is, IMO, safer than building on the mod. Mods are taller than meters, thus easier to knock over. You can also get an accidental fire when building on the mod by, for example, knocking it over and accidentally hitting the fire button trying to grab it. Most meters don't have enough power to fire the coil. (Some do, they're built to test fire coils in addition to measure them, but the price on those if higher.)

If you want to look at one, you'll fine USAOhmmeters offers their "Ultimate" model at about twice the price of a cheap one from eBay, and is a much better piece of gear. Just my :2c:

Reactions: OhTheAgony

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
As for myself I've always used a good seoeratate ohm meter for all my builds..it also makes a great platform for actual building and tweaking getting my perfect target resistance.. It also saves wear and tear on the 510 threads in my regulated mods, and lastly the display (readout) is easier to see and without using the batts in my mods.. Been doing it this way for years, works great for me.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: suprtrkr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
No idea about that piece of gear, but as you say, it'll make a nice build stand no matter what. I have found most DMMs-- I have a Fluke 87 and a 287-- are not reliable in the subohm range. This is lower than they are designed to read. I lust after a good 4-wire Kelvin probe milliohmmeter, but these are a Franklin and up.
I'm in almost the same boat. I've only used Ego's so far but I've been looking to upgrade and decided on a Toptank mini as well, just like TS.

I do already own a decent multimeter but I figured one with a 510 thread would be much easier to use, plus you have something to build on as well.

There's plenty of cheap (5 US$ or so) boxes for sale but I went looking for something a bit more stylish and came across this one:

26115327565_7d9e80326f_b.jpg

You can find them on ebay & Gearbest for less then ten bucks including shipping (look for "Tomtop atomizer checker"), they come in different colors and it is USB rechargeable so doesn't require extra batteries.

Some specs:

Material: Aluminum Alloy
Resistance Range: 0~20(ohm)
Voltage Range: 0~12V
Accuracy: 0.01V / 0.01 ohm
Battery: 3.7V 270mA
Input Voltage: USB DC 5V
Estimated Standby Time: 30 Hours
Charging Time: 30 Minutes
Item Size: 45 * 25mm / 1.77 * 0.98in (Dia. * H)
Item Weight: 41g / 1.47oz
Package Size: 7.5 * 5.5 * 3cm / 2.95 * 2.16 * 1.18in (L * W * H)
Package Weight: 63g / 2.22oz

I can't find any reviews on it except on Gearbest so it might suck, but even then I figured I just have a nice atty stand, lol. I'll compare values with my trusty multimeter when it gets here & do a little review on it if people are interested.

Reactions: OhTheAgony

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
No idea about that piece of gear, but as you say, it'll make a nice build stand no matter what. I have found most DMMs-- I have a Fluke 87 and a 287-- are not reliable in the subohm range. This is lower than they are designed to read. I lust after a good 4-wire Kelvin probe milliohmmeter, but these are a Franklin and up.
So are the Flukes,,laughing. I do use an old BK precision VOM analog for Mech builds..

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands

Yeah, frankly I doubt if it will be very accurate, especially in the sub-Ohm range. I just hope it'll be consistent enough even if it is a bit off so I have some idea where I'm at after cross-referencing it with my multimeter until I get to know it. We'll see. But if not it'll be a nice atty stand and build thingie that will match the style of the Evic VT I plan on getting :)

Last edited:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Yes, you need a stand alone Volt and Ohm meter. PERIOD. Sure the mods meter can read the coil..... BUT, it cannot tell you if the problems you might be having are Mod, battery or coil/atty caused. Yes, the ohm meter in the mod is probably a better OHM meter than the average VOM meter you get at the hardware store, so a dedicated atomizer Type ohm meter is a must. If you don't have the scratch for a high end VOM. Besides a 510 ohm meter makes for a great building stand for the atty.

Reactions: smacksy

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Stand alone reader can be more accurate if you spend decent money on it. However a cheap one may well be less accurate than the meter in your mod. A high quality resistance meter stand alone is only really a necessity (in my opinion), if you are building for a mechanical device, especially if it's a super low resistance build. Below 0.2 ohms, even a tiny increment can make an enormous difference in the amperage being drawn from your battery.
Most regulated devices have lots of safety features built into them to protect you.

Nuchuga

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Orange County, CA
It comes down to preference. For new builders and even an experienced builder like myself, I would recommend an ohm reader for safety. While newer mods have amazing protection and spot accurate reading, there are other things that the mod wont take in account for. Best bet is to just use an external reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread