Plastic Bottles & E-Liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skoad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
Georgia, USA
Well I know PET (polyethylene terephthalate) are the very clear hard plastic style bottles. There may be other PET styles and other types of plastic that make the clear hard bottles, but I just know the hard clear ones I always see are PET, while the clear foggy(or colored) softer style bottles are LDPE(Low-density polyethylene).

Last edited:

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
I'm jumping in here and admit I have not read much in this thread but wanted to share this. I DIY and mix almost exclusively in glass. I said "almost". For one of my better recipes I mixed a 50ml in a very soft plastic (maybe more like rubber) bottle. That was three weeks ago. Yesterday I filled my glass tank and noticed right away the flavor was way off. At first I thought it was my palette but soon realized from smelling the bottle the liquid was tainted. I know from the smell and taste it was coming from the bottle. I immediately tossed it in the trash. Made me a new batch in a glass bottle. Going forward, I will never again mix in plastic and avoid plastic as much as possible when it comes to vaping.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well I know PET (polyethylene terephthalate) are the very clear hard plastic style bottles. There may be other PET styles and other types of plastic that make the clear hard bottles, but I just know the hard clear ones I always see are PET, while the clear foggy(or colored) softer style bottles are LDPE(Low-density polyethylene).

What about Polystyrene?

Do you consider them safe for e-Liquids?

SuperLuckyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Here's some good information on different plastics used for containers The Different Types of Plastic and Their Number Classifications (Codes) - Quality Logo Products, Inc.

You can tell which type you have by looking for a number code on the bottom of the bottle, but I do find many juice bottles don't have this code.

i use pipettes like these to fill from my glass vials Syringes, Needles, and Pipettes
Yes, they are plastic, but there are in contact with the liquid for just a second or two so I don't worry about it. Some vendors include these as freebies.

FFAD214

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2013
Jacksboro, TX
I prefer to DIY in glass bottles w/ glass droppers mainly because I think they are kinda neat. At first I used the amber or blue ones but now I have changed to the clear ones. I like to see the colors of my creations develop in time. When I first started DIY, I was reusing some of the plastic ones from other vendors after cleaning them really well, however, I could always still smell a hint of what used to be in them. :2c:

BakuPeg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Gainesville, Ga
What is the Best Way to know what a Plastic Bottle is made out of?

*bump*
You can often tell a plastic by their stamped code on the bottle. If there is one. Its often on the bottom. Don't go by whats on the cap as it can be a completely different plastic than the bottle.

Plastic Recycling Codes

I know superlucky already said that, but it was worth the bump.

Last edited:

JJ1977

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Cost is going to be abit more but i prefer quality over quantity any day. I only use amber / kobolt blue with glass dripper bottles. my 1st mix i did 2 months ago i made 100ml keylime pie cheesecake and it still has the same flavor. i for 1 am all for only glass bottles but thats jmo.

Jargon

Jul 8, 2012
Greece
I decided to go all glass as well first because it is neat and cleans easily and second just for piece of mind without doing a deep "non scientific" analysis of the matter. It is a mute point since glass is available.

Yet, with the advent of RBAs such as Kayfun with large tanks I stopped carryng e-liquids with me when going out where the plastic bottles where mostly needed. I just get 2-3 Kayfuns with me and that is it. I also have an Innoking i-can if needed for dripping but rarely use.

Now my list:

-Glass Syringes with SS luer lock (10,20 & 30ml)
-Small glass syringes for perfumes (1ml and 10ml long & thin one for precision metering)
-500 & 1000ml glass container for mixing bases
-30, 50 & 100ml glass bottles for DIY liquids (I rarely buy commercial)
-Glass funel

Stored in dark.

Note: Nicotine is photosensitive and light causes oxidization over time breaking down to other substances with untested effects. Therefore, if going glass go for amber or blue containers and store in the dark.

Now, there are still the glass caps that are made of plastic and the biggest concern is leeching of Bisphenol-A so if I could also eliminate this by finding silicone caps or caps with silicone membranes then I am golden. Not all plastics contain bisphenol though (and its not only A but B, C etc) but it's hard to know what the caps are made of unless you go for serious lab equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread