Purchasing First Mech (Nemesis clone) Shopping List - Everything I Need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I completely understand your desire to move into mechanical mods. While I love my VV mod, there is something about the feel of a mech mod that just screams class. With that in mind, the Nemesis clones are a very popular choice. I don't own one, but from what I've read, they do what is expected out of a mech mod, and with the right upgrades, you'll get a very respectable voltage drop. However, the problems that people have talked about are going to present a learning curve for you. I know with my first mech mod, a Chi You clone, it took me a while to get the adjustable contacts right before there was no battery rattle. Then I unscrewed it to change my batteries a few times, and my fire button loosened up. The Neme has a similar set up and you'll just need to be aware of those things.

If you wanted to get into mech mods, I'd actually recommend a Stingray clone. It already comes with magnets. It uses a floating adjustable 510 connection pin and the adjustment for battery rattle seems easier to use than the Nemesis. It also comes in sexy copper :) The price is usually a bit more expensive than the Nemesis, but you'll save on not having to get the extra magnets for an upgrade.

Also, just my personal opinion, but for my all day attys that are above 1.1 ohms, I prefer to vape them on a VV mod. I only use my mechs for RDA's that are built sub-ohm and then only when I'm at home or going to a vape store. The reason is I usually use the VV mod for is because I like a consistent vape. While the mech mod's 4.2 to 3.7 is in your range of preferred voltage, the shift from 4.2 to a 3.7 vape is a very noticeable shift. I'd rather have the constant voltage and just change batteries when it starts to flash red, rather than taste the diminishing vape on my all day vape. On my mechs, I change the battery after no more than an hours' worth of vape to keep it as fresh as possible. If I throw that battery on a multimeter, it still reads about 3.9v, but I can taste the drop.

Wow, great post , you just convinced me that mechanicals are definitely NOT what i am looking for . I also love regulated devices for the reasons you mentioned above and i like the simplicity of tanks which work great with head's that are in the 1.5-2.0 range.

Thanks

TheOnyxEgg

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Minneapolis, MN, USA
I completely understand your desire to move into mechanical mods. While I love my VV mod, there is something about the feel of a mech mod that just screams class. With that in mind, the Nemesis clones are a very popular choice. I don't own one, but from what I've read, they do what is expected out of a mech mod, and with the right upgrades, you'll get a very respectable voltage drop. However, the problems that people have talked about are going to present a learning curve for you. I know with my first mech mod, a Chi You clone, it took me a while to get the adjustable contacts right before there was no battery rattle. Then I unscrewed it to change my batteries a few times, and my fire button loosened up. The Neme has a similar set up and you'll just need to be aware of those things.

If you wanted to get into mech mods, I'd actually recommend a Stingray clone. It already comes with magnets. It uses a floating adjustable 510 connection pin and the adjustment for battery rattle seems easier to use than the Nemesis. It also comes in sexy copper :) The price is usually a bit more expensive than the Nemesis, but you'll save on not having to get the extra magnets for an upgrade.

Also, just my personal opinion, but for my all day attys that are above 1.1 ohms, I prefer to vape them on a VV mod. I only use my mechs for RDA's that are built sub-ohm and then only when I'm at home or going to a vape store. The reason is I usually use the VV mod for is because I like a consistent vape. While the mech mod's 4.2 to 3.7 is in your range of preferred voltage, the shift from 4.2 to a 3.7 vape is a very noticeable shift. I'd rather have the constant voltage and just change batteries when it starts to flash red, rather than taste the diminishing vape on my all day vape. On my mechs, I change the battery after no more than an hours' worth of vape to keep it as fresh as possible. If I throw that battery on a multimeter, it still reads about 3.9v, but I can taste the drop.

You hit the nail on the head with many of the reasons why I'm interested in a mech. I love the look and feel of them along with the simplicity. The change in vape quality as batteries drop from 4.2 to 3.7 is one of the reasons why I was looking at the Nemesis over the stingray; I wanted something that could be kicked if the change really bugged me. The stingrays are nice though :)

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
With a mech unless you use a kick with it the power will drop off as there is nothing to regulate it. Years ago most of the ecigs would get noticeably weaker on the draw and you would be able to tell when the battery was about done for. With the batteries in mechs you have to be able to discern that point or check them with a mm. If they go to low they are done.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
You hit the nail on the head with many of the reasons why I'm interested in a mech. I love the look and feel of them along with the simplicity. The change in vape quality as batteries drop from 4.2 to 3.7 is one of the reasons why I was looking at the Nemesis over the stingray; I wanted something that could be kicked if the change really bugged me. The stingrays are nice though :)

Kicked is nice. That is how I have my nemesis now. Keep in mind though, the kick adds length. If I can make a suggestion, is to look for a variable WATTAGE kick, not a variable Voltage kick. With a variable wattage, you set the watts you want, and it will adjust the voltage depending on the battery charge. That way, you make one setting, and leave it.

Oh, and while I was replying the last time, I was doing something recommended on the Fasttech forums... I was sanding down the Nemesis button post with sandpaper. I used 600 grit. after about 5 minutes of sanding, the switch is smooth, and no "crunchies". It's hard to explain unless you have one, but keep that in mind if you do. The locking ring is my next fix. tonight, I kept trying to unlock it, and had to unscrew the mod to losen it. The smooth locking ring still gets stuck in the locked/unlocked position. I believe if I rubberize some of it, it'll make it easier. I'm going to try to buy some plasti dip and coat the outside of it to make it easier to grasp. I'll let you know how that goes.

The ammount of turns still bugs me, but if that plasti-dip works, It'll be my standard single coil mod (until I get a 30w vamo, or they make a 30w kick)

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
The change in vape quality as batteries drop from 4.2 to 3.7 is one of the reasons why I was looking at the Nemesis over the stingray; I wanted something that could be kicked if the change really bugged me. The stingrays are nice though :)

I don't own one but everything I've read states that the Stingray will accept a kick. Not sure if it's true or not but here's what I have read.

The HCigar Stingray clone includes three separate battery tube sections allowing you to use an 18350, 18500, or 18650 sized batteries and a Kick may be used in all modes.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Now, going back to your first recommendation, I am kind of displeased with the Nemesis. for one, the button is crunchy. if you push the button from the edge of the button, it will stick, and not fire. I'd say my nemesis has a %50 chance of firing each time I push the button. That can be very frustrating. Second, you will need four magnets for the upgrade. With two magnets, it will fire under it's own weight. I'd get spares, since I've already broken three magnets.. two broke while in the mod itself, and one while assembling. These magnets are VERY fragile and four are needed. If you can get a 5 or 10 pack, then definately get them.

Gosh I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your Nemesis, which one did you get? I have the Hcigar, and it did have a crunchy button, but I was able to deal with that. Four magnets might be too much for the switch to work right, I just got two 2mm magnets, and they are strong enough to keep it from firing standing up, and the switch works fine. Also, I found that making a non-ferrous rice pin got rid of the crunchiness in the button. I made this out of nylon weedeater cord and it works great. The magnets attracted the steel rice pin, and caused the crunchiness in the button. I've not had any problem with magnets breaking, in or out of the mech. Other than the button fix I've had no issues at all with the Nemesis.

Bodog

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Utah
Coming up on my one year anniversary of being cigarette free and felt like I deserved a new mod.

First mod was an iTaste MVP V1, been thrilled with how it's held up over the last year and have been pretty satisfied with the performance. I've settled in to using it at 3.7v - 4.2v with LR Boge cartos and IbTanked tanks. I even find myself being satisfied with the vape I get from a fresh eGO battery and those cartos while the MVP is charging. I will likely continue using this cartotank setup with whatever mod I end up getting.

The fact that I'm satisfied with the performance I get as outlined above leads me to believe that I would be pretty happy with a mech. (If it ends up not being enough umph I could always grab a Evolv v2) I also love the idea of the simplicity of mechs and the ability to try out an RBA effectively if I decide to go that route down the road.

After much searching, I think I've settled on the HCigar Copper Nemesis clone. Here's what I have on my shopping list, am I missing anything?

HCigar Copper Nemesis
Fatdaddy Magnet and Contact upgrade
Xtar VP1 charger
2 X Sony VTC5s

Also, if you think I'm crazy for considering a mech to use with LR cartos, please let me know as I'd considered a Sigelei ZMax as well but am wary of reliability issues with regulated mods. Also not looking to spend more than around $100 or so total. :)

Thanks in advance!

I found cartos didnt work great on my nemesis clone. I would highly advise not using them in this set up and instead rebuild with coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread