Question: Sinus infections and smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Just finished reading the health benefits thread and had a similar but more specific question. I'm not a current or ex-smoker (previous smokeless user) so I have no experience on this. I'm asking because I have an employee who smokes and has had almost consistent sinus infections over the last (at least) 2 years. She has had 2 sinus surgeries and will be going in soon for allergy testing, so I know there are other aspects to the infection issue.

So has anyone had sinus infection issues when they were smoking and if so, have you seen an improvement in not having them since quitting smoking?

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Just finished reading the health benefits thread and had a similar but more specific question. I'm not a current or ex-smoker (previous smokeless user) so I have no experience on this. I'm asking because I have an employee who smokes and has had almost consistent sinus infections over the last (at least) 2 years. She has had 2 sinus surgeries and will be going in soon for allergy testing, so I know there are other aspects to the infection issue.

So has anyone had sinus infection issues when they were smoking and if so, have you seen an improvement in not having them since quitting smoking?

Hello :) To answer your questions: yes & yes again. Sinus infections *and* many winters with pneumonia. I was a 1 1/2 - 3 PAD chain smoker. Giving up the smokes has pretty much put an end to that. Although, I did get a sinus infection this fall. One in 3 years versus non-stop all winter...yeah doing better for sure. Hopefully your employee makes a speedy and full recovery.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Smoking definitely compromises your health and how you fight off infections. I feel sorry for her just reading what she has been through. I never got many colds even as a smoker. Do I think vaping would help her? Why sure I do. I have seen what it did for a friend that has COPD. Since pg is in most inhalers for people that have bronchial issues, I believe it has helped her. She rarely uses them anymore and her respiratory doctor is amazed at her progress. There are just people that have issues. That is why the medical profession calls certain conditions chronic. I hope she does get some help. I hope you can get her interested in vaping. I must commend you for coming hear to ask out of concern. That's pretty special.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

You mention the allergy testing and that could be a big part of the problem. Chronic allergic reaction to "something" can cause inflammation in the sinus passages, resulting in blocked regions where infections can develop. If this turns out to be her case they may put her on long term use of an anti inflammatory nasal steroid like fluticasone. The question is: What's she allergic to? Chances are smoking won't be the source of the problem.

Doing two surgeries without investigating the allergy question as an underlying need for the surgeries seems a bit cart before the horse.

EvilGenius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2014
nj
I only got sick from going outside and smoking as smoking and the cold lower your immune system. also got it from my wife and kid :T
but this year im on the edge of being sick for the last month, both have been sick twice and im almost there, whats keeping me from not getting sick is not going outside to smoke, though I have to go outside at work, that's the only thing I can think of that is making me almost sick, nose runny and stuffed sometimes and yellowish/green mucus somewhat yeah gross huh

but apparently from scientific studies, pg (propelyne glycol) is helping kill bacteria in my system, they use that in hospitals a lot in the vents

szot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Surgery is the last thing and most problematic thing any surgeon should ever recommend for sinus infections, according to the many allergists and ENT doctors I have seen...they are caused by bacteria which usually is from allergies such as dust mites, ragweed, mold spores or 400 other things ..smoking tobacco/analogs will not cause sinus infections, by itself....I just went thru 4 months of testing etc for chronic sinusitis and rhinitis and there is no cure, but can get relief from anti inflammatory steroids (40-80ml Kenalog injections) and nasal steroid spray (fluticasone) daily...and a dose of prednisone..

There are 2 types of allergies and sinusitis ...seasonal when things grow and/or pollenate...and chronic, that last all year or long lasting and recurring...

BTW, a deviated septum can be a factor but also is very common in many people and not requiring surgery..

Also, I was a smoker for 25 years and never had a sinus infection..I quit smoking 6 years ago and now the past 3 years have had numerous sinus infections which led to the testing (Cat scans, MRI's etc) and diagnosis and treatments for chronic sinusitis and rhinitis due to allergies more prominent in the Florida hot humid weather (ragweed, mold spores, dust mites)..

Last edited:

Jovey

Jan 24, 2015
within my own thoughts....
I had many sinus infections when i smoked, not to mention a horrible cough and bouts with bronchitis and pneumonia! Although i've only been an ex-smoker for a few weeks now, i can tell a huge difference in my health. I no longer wheeze, have that smokers cough nor do i have the chronic stuffed up nose! So yeah, i definitely thinking smoking effects the sinuses, plus numerous other aspects of a persons overall health.

Now when i smoked, i would of argued against that notion..... Funny how we humans are sometimes :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread