Bronchitis/massive sinus infection worsened by e-smoking?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Phill

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Kansas City, Mo
Hey folks! I have a dilema, I have been vaping for nearly 5 months now and all was well. I recently got my annual bronchitis or a sinus infection that I always get, being a smoker. However, this year, I cannot for the life of me shake it. Dare I say that E-smoking has complicated the problem, or is it that after 5 months of analog free after 10 years, the nasties are finally coming out. Either way, I have never been this sick when I was an analog smoker, so I am ofc worried, I have been told its just all the crap coming out of my lungs that has built up over 10 years of smoking, but I also am concerned about what e-cigs might really be doing to my lungs. Input? Opinions? I'd love to hear them cause I am worried that I quit the analogs for nothing.

zuzette

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2012
Colorado
Take the question to your doctor. seriously.

here is one thought for you though - your symptoms only seem worse because you now find them intolerable having experienced life without feeling sick all the time. Thats what cigarettes do to you - they make you feel sick 24/7 but you are so hooked you willingly put up with the discomfort to have "just one more cigarette".

now you have been feeling good for 5 months and get bronchitis....its bound to hit you like a bomb and be all the more noticable since you arent piling it on top of already feeling like crap.

Dr. Phill

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Kansas City, Mo
Take the question to your doctor. seriously.

here is one thought for you though - your symptoms only seem worse because you now find them intolerable having experienced life without feeling sick all the time. Thats what cigarettes do to you - they make you feel sick 24/7 but you are so hooked you willingly put up with the discomfort to have "just one more cigarette".

now you have been feeling good for 5 months and get bronchitis....its bound to hit you like a bomb and be all the more noticable since you arent piling it on top of already feeling like crap.

Thanks for the input!! Yes I agree, I am about 2 weeks overdue for a doctor visit. When it gets to the point I cough so hard I black out for a second, I suppose that outta have been the sign. You are right though, smoking has made me feel bad for so long, that now that I felt good for so long, I worry when it does hit.

Dr. Phill

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Kansas City, Mo
I would also say that this is just one of those things, check with the doctor and see. Are you sure it would not be this bad or worse if you were smoking? As you say it is something you get every year and maybe this year is just a bad one.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Ty Yves, yes its true, I have no idea how it feels to be smokefree and have bronchitis, but I guess I'd ratehr be smokefree and have it, then to have it while on the analogs. Perhaps I've just been so sick on the real thing, that being off them and sick just frightens me more, in a way.

Yves

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Matamata, New Zealand
Yes it is odd how we change our views on things. When I smoked for 43 years I knew it was bad for me but I was hopelessly hooked to the addiction. I switched to vaping so easily I feel I cheated. Now after putting all those chemicals into my system for so many years I now find myself being very fussy about the quality of my juice and what is in it lol. I am one of the lucky ones, I really have had no health problems switching over to date.

Zeroa4

Sep 21, 2012
Orlando Florida
I have really bad lungs from smoking and having asthma. The doctor told me that it was much better and i would see a decrease in bronchitis which i would have once to twice a year, also i should see a decrease in the amount of times i would have to use my inhaler. - my doc is my godmother

I would go to the doc. any ways. Have him give you a check up and make sure its nothing that is serious.

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Hey Dr. Phill.....I happened to notice you are a fellow Kansas Citian.......:)

Heads up to ya, there is a really nasty horrible respiratory virus running rampant around KC. It is more like what we see in the winter months during the peak of flu season. It is not the flu, but it is a nasty and hard to get rid of virus. The ER in the hospital where I work at has seen a lot of patients with the same issues you describe. One of them ended up on my ICU from severe respiratory distress. Definitely see your doc. Antibiotics probably won't help, but some codeine cough syrup and decongestants may help you feel better until the virus leaves. Many have said its a month before the crud finally leaves for good.

****i am not a doctor, just a nurse, and any advice is pure speculation based on patient populations I take care of everyday. :)

Most important, I hope you get to feeling better!

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I'm thinking a doctor visit is a good idea. Most vapers I know have fewer bouts with bronchitis than when they were smoking. I had my first winter in 10 years without it after 8 months of vaping, and no inflamed lung as a result. PG in the liquid is actually antibacterial and is used in breathing therapy. Speaking of juices, you might want to shy away from high % VG and see if that helps - sometimes it makes my lungs feel heavy/full. Let us know how you're doing!

oxygen thief

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Coughing and blacking out screams go to the doctor. There are all kinds of bugs going around pretty much year round so who knows?
Is your diet good? Been under much stress? Taking medication?
Sucking on flavors will not compare with sucking on a tailpipe, it can't make anything worse than cigs which I smoked for 45 years.
Good luck, get well.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I have that problem every year. Right now I'm feeling like I may be doing that right now. I cut back a bit on my vaping. Go to the doctor and check into antibiotics. I've been having this problem since I was a kid. I have had pneumonia twice and many ear infections etc.. Here is some things that helps me, doctor if it's bad, Stop drinking cold beverages. Drink lots of tea etc. Soups use at least a nasal saline spray and if the doctor oks it something like afrin. I still get them but if I do this they are not as bad or I nip it quickly.
I am not a doctor so you should check this with them but it works for me. The warm-hot drinks and spray I think helps the most. OH hot lemonade with honey.

oxygen thief

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
When I feel similar stuff coming on I use Mucinex cough suppresant / expectorant. If I know things are past that point I see my doc asap for antibiotics and whatever else helps.
I too had lots of ear infections as a kid and have had pneumonia twice. When I used to get stressed and run down physically, mentally, and emotionally it was like pneumonia was just waiting.
A lot, a whole lot of people in Austin and central Texas have really bad allergies. Cedar Fever is wicked. A lot end up with pneumonia or other hideous breathing issues. I think that Cedar Fever is one of the few winter allergies out there.

Dr. Phill

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Kansas City, Mo
Hey Dr. Phill.....I happened to notice you are a fellow Kansas Citian.......:)

Heads up to ya, there is a really nasty horrible respiratory virus running rampant around KC. It is more like what we see in the winter months during the peak of flu season. It is not the flu, but it is a nasty and hard to get rid of virus. The ER in the hospital where I work at has seen a lot of patients with the same issues you describe. One of them ended up on my ICU from severe respiratory distress. Definitely see your doc. Antibiotics probably won't help, but some codeine cough syrup and decongestants may help you feel better until the virus leaves. Many have said its a month before the crud finally leaves for good.

****i am not a doctor, just a nurse, and any advice is pure speculation based on patient populations I take care of everyday. :)

Most important, I hope you get to feeling better!

Wow, that sounds like a bad little bug. Thank you very much for the info, I suspected I'd probably have to go see the doc, but was hoping it'd just go away. Dang looks like I"m gonna have to.....

frigs

Moved On
Sep 4, 2012
us
i get sick at this time every year, it usually amounts to blowing my nose like crazy for 2 weeks. i was vaping for about a week before i got my cold this year, and im still blowing my nose like crazy, but this is the first time ever that the snot is clear and not the thick nasty yellow mucas i have become so familiar with over the years. everyones situation is different, i have a friend that quit smoking 2 years ago and he said he coughed up stuff for a year afterwards. just a bit of food for thought.

RobFindlay

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2011
SLC, UT
Hey folks! I have a dilema, I have been vaping for nearly 5 months now and all was well. I recently got my annual bronchitis or a sinus infection that I always get, being a smoker. However, this year, I cannot for the life of me shake it. Dare I say that E-smoking has complicated the problem, or is it that after 5 months of analog free after 10 years, the nasties are finally coming out. Either way, I have never been this sick when I was an analog smoker, so I am ofc worried, I have been told its just all the crap coming out of my lungs that has built up over 10 years of smoking, but I also am concerned about what e-cigs might really be doing to my lungs. Input? Opinions? I'd love to hear them cause I am worried that I quit the analogs for nothing.

My first thought is, what voltage are you vaping at? If your throat and lungs are inflamed, a HV device kicking HOT water vapor against inflamed tissue is prolly just going to irritate it more.

My first cold after I started vaping seemed to have made it worse, but that was the only time. Maybe your throat and lungs haven't adjusted to vaping just yet and the additional irritation makes things seem worse.

Also get ye to the dang doctor!!!

Dr. Phill

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Kansas City, Mo
My first thought is, what voltage are you vaping at? If your throat and lungs are inflamed, a HV device kicking HOT water vapor against inflamed tissue is prolly just going to irritate it more.

Good advice, thank you! I have been vaping on my eGo Twist, which I just got not long ago, so yes, my voltage has been higher cause I love getting the bigger clouds of vapor. I upgraded to this about a month ago up from a gas station/mall e-cig, so perhaps I have been indulging a little too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread