RANT: It's not hookah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvroman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Texas
When I left class last night I had one of the guys in the same class ask me if I wanted to buy a hookah pen. I pulled out my vamo and said "ones like this?" And he quickly shut up and walked away.

I didnt see the wares he was peddlin but I could only assume it would be a ego type batt with a cheapo clearo for an outrageous price. Too many people try to rip off other people its not even funny anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
The reason hookah terminology and marketing has been applied to ecigs almost from the get-go is because what we are doing when we vape is more or less smoking hookah without the tobacco. Hookah tobacco is washed until almost all the nicotine is removed, then it is prepared with a flavored "juice" that becomes the main component of the inhaled cloud. Glycerine is a major component of this juice. Hookah tobacco is not burned but heated by proximity to special coals, which vaporizes the juice and tobacco/nicotine. It is basically the same thing as vaping -- inhalation of a flavored, nicotine-containing vapor cloud formed by vaporizing a humectant.

Hookah in the past has been viewed by some as a potential tobacco harm reduction technique, and there is a good amount of research evidence showing hookah smoke is far less harmful (both in effect and makeup) than burned tobacco smoke. It has been subjected to a similar anti-campaign by the same forces currently lining up against vaping, from before vaping was even invented, complete with outdated, bad FDA science.

So as for the OP, actually it's more hookah than it is cigarettes.

Last edited:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Not even - a hookah pen would be like a 510 cigalike battery with fruity juice in a carto. And disposable.

When I left class last night I had one of the guys in the same class ask me if I wanted to buy a hookah pen. I pulled out my vamo and said "ones like this?" And he quickly shut up and walked away.

I didnt see the wares he was peddlin but I could only assume it would be a ego type batt with a cheapo clearo for an outrageous price. Too many people try to rip off other people its not even funny anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
It's still smoke.

The reason hookah terminology and marketing has been applied to ecigs almost from the get-go is because what we are doing when we vape is more or less smoking hookah without the tobacco. Hookah tobacco is washed until almost all the nicotine is removed, then it is prepared with a flavored "juice" that becomes the main component of the inhaled cloud. Glycerine is a major component of this juice. Hookah tobacco is not burned but heated by proximity to special coals, which vaporizes the juice and tobacco/nicotine. It is basically the same thing as vaping -- inhalation of a flavored, nicotine-containing vapor cloud formed by vaporizing a humectant.

Hookah in the past has been viewed by some as a potential tobacco harm reduction technique, and there is a good amount of research evidence showing hookah smoke is far less harmful (both in effect and makeup) than burned tobacco smoke. It has been subjected to a similar anti-campaign by the same forces currently lining up against vaping, from before vaping was even invented, complete with outdated, bad FDA science.

So as for the OP, actually it's more hookah than it is cigarettes.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Well, cool. I can dig it if people dig it.

People have been digging it for centuries ;)

If you want to see what a successful "ANTZ" campaign looks like, try searching around for hookah health information. No one stood up for hookah because they weren't hookah smokers. Misinformation is absolutely rampant.

Last edited by a moderator:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Too bad about that burning coal, you're also inhaling that. There are electrical "coals" available, but they are corded and I assume not very safe.

Yes, the coal is the primary source of bad stuff with hookah. There have been various ways to minimize it, using the best quality natural coals for one, making sure the coals light fully so that the gases are mostly burned off, and there was a device called the kaloud lotus that supposedly helped keep the coal gases out of the bowl.
The good coals are coconut coals. The electric coals' problem was power -- they were weak. One or two attempts at fully electronic hookahs were tried but none really caught on.

Last edited:

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
I was thinking that perhaps in the future we may have to buy " electronic hookah" flavored liquids. Everyone is pretty darn adamant in thinking that our liquids should only be tobacco flavored. By calling it hookah liquid we may be able to still get the flavors we all love with nicotine. Oh by the way " Save the Children".

Oryx

May 13, 2013
Rowland Heights
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread