RDA Microcoil question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travislavery

Dec 27, 2013
Yuma, AZ, USA
I just built a dual coil on my Nimbus V3 clone using 28 gauge kanthal and the ohms comes out to be .7ohms. My question is, is the .7 ohm resulting from two .35 ohm coils or are they both .7ohm? I bought a MNKE IMR 18650 1500mAH battery for sub ohming and the battery chart shows that the specific battery is safe around .5 ohms, but I don't know if a .7ohm dual coil is safe for it.

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
The resistance that your battery will see is .7 ohms. Your battery doesn't care what resistance each coil is rated at, just the final resistance. I am not a professional, but if your battery is rated to handle a .5 ohm resistance and your coil is metering at .7 ohms then I would think you should be fine.

Travislavery

Dec 27, 2013
Yuma, AZ, USA
The resistance that your battery will see is .7 ohms. Your battery doesn't care what resistance each coil is rated at, just the final resistance. I am not a professional, but if your battery is rated to handle a .5 ohm resistance and your coil is metering at .7 ohms then I would think you should be fine.

Very good, too bad I have my vamo v5 and my nemesis is in the mail right now... The Vamo wont fire so I suppose I need to put this RDA away until the Nemi comes in!

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
if its rated for .5 then youre ok at .7

but yes, like posted above, if you were to insert only one of the two coils you made, you would have gotten a ~1.4 reading. but because you went dual coil, the second coil cuts the resistance in half, therefore resulting in a .7 ohm coil.

read around, theres many threads explaining the details of wrapping your own coils.

good luck!

do you know the ampere rating for that battery? if im not mistaken the mnke batt is rated at 30A...could be wrong.

Last edited:

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
They are both .7 ohms. Dual coil rda will always be half the amount of the coils.. So yes both your coils are .7 making the unit at .35

Not true. If the atty is reading .7 ohms on a dual coil device then each coil is 1.4 ohms.

EDIT - After rereading you are correct but I am taking OP's post to mean that the atty is reading .7 ohms on a meter, meaning he/she has two 1.4 ohm coils.

Last edited:

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
Very good, too bad I have my vamo v5 and my nemesis is in the mail right now... The Vamo wont fire so I suppose I need to put this RDA away until the Nemi comes in!

why?

just take out one coil and run it at 1.4 ohms. im running a 1.35 ohm coil at ~16 watts and that thing is a fog machine.

if its rated for .5 then youre ok at .7

but yes, like posted above, if you were to insert only one of the two coils you made, you would have gotten a ~1.4 reading. but because you went dual coil, the second coil cuts the resistance in half, therefore resulting in a .7 ohm coil.

read around, theres many threads explaining the details of wrapping your own coils.

good luck!

do you know the ampere rating for that battery? if im not mistaken the mnke batt is rated at 30A...could be wrong.

The battery is rated at 20amps.

So since my PV reads the dual coils at .7 ohms, and that each coil is 1.4ohms, I'm technically not sub ohming yet?

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
The battery is rated at 20amps.

So since my PV reads the dual coils at .7 ohms, and that each coil is 1.4ohms, I'm technically not sub ohming yet?

no, with dual coils at .7 ohm, youre sub ohm alright. hahaha. like i suggested above, if you were to take out one coil to make it able to fire on your vamo, then you would not be sub ohm because you would be at 1.4 ohm.

sub ohm is anything under one ohm, put it that way.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
When running dual coils, and you use an ohm meter to check the ohms of the SETUP, you get a reading ( for example .7 ohms) and if you were to take each coil and test them individually you will get 1.4 ohms each. In parallel resistive applications, the total ohms ( in the case of 2 coils/resistors) is basically 1/2 of the 2 coils

heres the math:
1/ ((1/r1)+(1/r2)) ... r1 = coil1 ohms , r2 = coil2 1ohms sooo r1 =1 ohm r2 = 1 ohm rtotal = 1/2 ohm

In series resistive applications it is r1 + r2 ( ex. 1.4 + 1.4 =2.8)

no, with dual coils at .7 ohm, youre sub ohm alright. hahaha. like i suggested above, if you were to take out one coil to make it able to fire on your vamo, then you would not be sub ohm because you would be at 1.4 ohm.

sub ohm is anything under one ohm, put it that way.

Awesome, I just took one out and it read 1.2 but with some adjustments im up to 1.4 and it heating up great. A little slow start up but it gets the heat

numbskull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
SoCal
MNKE are rated to 25 amp, Sony US18650VTC3/US18650VTC4 are rated 30 amp. When building dual coils, total ohm will be half of a single. It sounds like you have 2 1.4 ohm coils which results in a .7 ohm dual coil. Your MNKE will work just fine on that.

This is a handy tool if you plan on sub-ohming

vapecalc.com
We can use an example with your current build (.7 ohm)
So .7 ohm at 3.7 volts (assuming your using a mech) will give you aprox 5.3 amps
safe to use with the MNKE!

Hope this info helps, and always make sure to err on the side of caution when it comes to battery safety....

Cheers!

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
Awesome, I just took one out and it read 1.2 but with some adjustments im up to 1.4 and it heating up great. A little slow start up but it gets the heat

nice!
good to hear.
now, remember that airflow also has a role in your vape experience. now i know most of my RDAs ive received have had too small of a stock airhole for my liking. so take that into consideration on your next build too. especially if youre going sub ohm.

also ohms law calculator is a very useful tool. i downloaded the app to my phone for when im not around a computer. just search it. :)

glad you figured it out!

any questions, just ask!
if i cant answer em, im DEFINITELY sure someone else here can! btw, welcome to ECF!

nice!
good to hear.
now, remember that airflow also has a role in your vape experience. now i know most of my RDAs ive received have had too small of a stock airhole for my liking. so take that into consideration on your next build too. especially if youre going sub ohm.

also ohms law calculator is a very useful tool. i downloaded the app to my phone for when im not around a computer. just search it. :)

glad you figured it out!

any questions, just ask!
if i cant answer em, im DEFINITELY sure someone else here can! btw, welcome to ECF!

You just reminded me to ask another question, I'm using the Nimbus V3 Clone which I believe has 1/16 airholes, is drilling up to a 5/64 a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread