Ridiculous article calling E-Cigs a "Scam"!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

christym81

Mar 31, 2010
Keller, Texas
Hi All, I'm fairly new to this forum and I am pretty sure that I can only post on the "New Member's Forum" so hopefully someone with more posting privileges can add this to the proper forum. I read a ridiculously one-sided and ill-research/ill-informed article on smartplanet by a guy named "Dana Blankenhorn" calling e-cigs a "scam". I don't have enough points to post a link, but if you go to smartplanet and search for the word "e-cigarette" you will find it pops right up. Well, I decided to email him and let him know how I felt about the article. The response was pathetic and typical, so I wanted to share this with you all. The following, is the email thread between Dana and Me:

Dana,
What an ignorant, one-sided, and ill-researched article. Dana, get your facts straight please!! There are too many inaccurate statements in this article to even count. It is sickeningly obvious that the FDA has no interest in actually obtaining the truth about these products or protecting the the American people. Indeed, these actions taken by the FDA are nothing more than greed and corrupt alliances with Big tobacco, Big Pharmaceutical companies. Their attempt to maintain current levels of tobacco tax revenue come at the cost of thousands of lives. The FDA is who should be under investigation, not e-cigarettes. A full scale criminal investigation should be launched and lawsuits should be filed against them for their slanderous lies about e-cigarettes and false accusations fueled by their greed. If there is any sliver of justice left in the court system, they won't get away with this crime! Oh, and just a quick note: I smoked cigarettes for 10 years before I quit and began vaping with e-cigs. I had a complete physical last week and part of that included a lung capacity test. Not only did my tests reveal a huge improvement from last year, but my doctor said that my breath capacity and lungs are among the strongest he has ever examined.

Sincerely,
Christy

---------------------------------------
Right. Anyone who reports on what the FDA is doing, truthfully, must
be a liar. You found a new, "safer" way to get your drug fix, so now no
one can tell you you're an addict.

Well, you're still an addict.

Dana

Dana Blankenhorn
SmartPlanet - We Make You Smarter - People, Business & Technology
Phone Number 404-373-7634
--------------------------------------

Dana,
Is that really your response?!?! LOL, you totally missed the point of
my email to you. Either that, or you're just trying to distract from
the real issue because you have no answer. I NEVER said anything about
getting my "fix" or that it meant that I wasn't "addicted" to nicotine.
It's obvious that you were ONLY "reporting" (aka copying/plagiarizing)
some half-assed, one-sided, and self-serving FDA statement. My point is
that you lazily wrote an article calling e-cigs a "scam" without doing
any actual research other than blindly repeating a sn FDA statement. If
you were any type of real researcher or writer you would do your due
diligence and investigate the BS reasoning and excuses being used by the
FDA. You would talk to some people who actually use the e-cigarettes
and ask what their reasons are for switching. You would use some
deductive reasoning (it wouldn't even take a lot!) and ask yourself why
the FDA continues to allow tobacco products to be sold freely and drugs
like Chantix to be prescribed when there are documented cases of
death/suicides from it's use! Just spewing out quotes from the FDA,
then using inflammatory and misleading words like "scam" in the title
is NOT research and it doesn't make you a credible reporter/writer. It
makes you irresponsible. Let me know when you have a real answer to my
email.

Sincerely,
"Still An Addict"

AtomPunk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Thornton, CO
Nice emails! It's really too bad that journalism has degraded to the level it has. If it doesn't have some sort of shock value it isn't news. Way to stand up for the community and try get the truth out.

Next time ask him if Starbucks is a scam. They're just another more expensive way to get a fix too...

tarazarr

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2010
Texas
ok. exactly what did he say that was so off base? I just read the article and watched the video....

what are you disagreeing with exactly? The age restriction can't be inforced, simply clicking a button that says "I'm 18" .....that's not much security...

We don't really know what's in these....truth be told...

Far be it from the Chinese to sell us something that's really dangerous...ie happy meal toy's and Disney trinkets that contain lead....

It is slanted, I'll give you that, but none of what they said is untrue as far as I could tell, slanted yes. Teenagers DO hang out at the mall and online....well so adults, so that is slanting things, but I just didn't see a smoking gun of complete mis-information..

I know I'm about to get flaming arrows sent my way... because everyone on this forum says they are safe, therefore they must be...

Kobudo

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Evansville, IN
Found it:

The e-cigarette scam - SmartPlanet

Also, if you have an account there, go ahead and post my response to him:

God, you're willfully ignorant, Mr. Blankenthorn.

I assume that the cherry-flavored nicotine lozenges and the flavored Nicorette gum are for kids only, as well. Why would an adult want something to taste good? Granted, the gum doesn't work, and tastes nasty however you try to hide its taste.

Early research shows that the nicotine absorption rate for users of vaporizers is about 10-40% of what an equivalent cigarette smoker would absorb. Of course, if you were practicing real, big-boy journalism, you would have found this and other balancing facts through research, and created a less one-sided report.

What you have written is really no better than a "troll" post on Fark. You would happily see these things banned, the result being more people remaining hooked on cancer-causing traditional cigarettes. You are close-minded to new technology that saves peoples' lives, and for that reason your opinions are worthy of nothing but contempt.

tarazarr

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2010
Texas
Thanks guys! And thanks 5cardstud for sending an email too! Maybe if he gets enough of them, he will take a second to actually look at the big picture and educate himself a little more before writing more garbage about e-cigs.... Eh, probably not. As Ron White says "You can't fix stupid."

I really doubt it... if he gets a ton of emails, to him it just means he successfully wrote something that got readership, heck he'll probably get a raise.....just ignore him

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
I'm not surprised at his response. Take a minute to read the replies to his article. He's already been "schooled" about the product. His own response in post 22 sums that up. He's now letting the more "aggressive" messages establish a sense that pro-PV posts are coming from a bunch of nicotine-addled, raving addicts.

The best posts point out the benefits and leave it at that. The personal attacks on his credibility as a journalist won't go anywhere.

tarazarr

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2010
Texas
I've asked several times and in several places...including ask the veterans.... Are there ANY companies in the USA extracting nicotine in the USA for e-cigs? If so, who exactly, and do you know this to be true? Number of responses? Zero

On the other hand in less than 5 minutes you can find 5 suppliers that sort of allude us to believe their juice is made in america, and a zillion forum posters who say they only buy USA juice...... but I think the truth is we all hear what we want to hear..... we want to believe it's made here in America, so we believe it is....

Kobudo

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Evansville, IN
ok. exactly what did he say that was so off base? I just read the article and watched the video....

what are you disagreeing with exactly? The age restriction can't be inforced, simply clicking a button that says "I'm 18" .....that's not much security...

It's the hyperbole, mostly. "More addictive than crack?" I highly doubt that the author had ever had to attempt to quit smoking tobacco. They are also NOT "easier to buy online than textbooks." They are AS easy, assuming you have a credit card -- which most persons under the age of 18 do not have.

Far be it from the Chinese to sell us something that's really dangerous...ie happy meal toy's and Disney trinkets that contain lead....

I know exactly what is in the liquids I order, and in what quantities (more or less). Yes, the Chinese have a history of poor quality control with a number of products. That's why I prefer to buy my liquids from US suppliers who make their own.

It is slanted, I'll give you that, but none of what they said is untrue as far as I could tell, slanted yes. Teenagers DO hang out at the mall and online....well so adults, so that is slanting things, but I just didn't see a smoking gun of complete mis-information..

I know I'm about to get flaming arrows sent my way... because everyone on this forum says they are safe, therefore they must be...

No flaming arrows here. Like I hinted at in my response to the article, he merely has an agenda -- a poorly researched, non-thinker's agenda that appeals more to Steven Colbert's concept of "truthiness" than researched reality.

christym81

Mar 31, 2010
Keller, Texas

I have many, many, many problems with his article and I can cite one after another after another. But let's just start with a few of the major ones. First, and foremost, let's start with the title: The E-Cigarette Scam. Huh??? What's the scam? Totally misleading and totally crap.

Then let's look at this statement: "The reason you don’t have versions of this technology for ......., ...... or ... (the active ingredient in .........) is because those particular substances are banned as dangerous drugs. Nicotine is just as dangerous..." Where do I even begin.... there are so many reasons that I take MAJOR issue with this blatantly ill-researched "fact" that he states. How in the hell are you going to compare the effects of nicotine (not tobacco mind you, JUST nicotine) with Heroine usage!?! Seriously, I want to know. I know, I know, technically they are both drugs but let's get real here. Technically coffee and chocolate can be put into that category, but last time I checked, there weren't any reports of people walking the streets offering blow-jobs and turning tricks for a cigarette and a hershey bar. Correct me if I'm wrong. I also never saw a "Hollywood True Story" on E about a rising star whose life was destroyed by Starbucks. I pride myself on being able to see everyone's point of view to some extent, but I draw the line when someone compares me to a crackhead or heroine addict. That's just taking things way too far.

I can go on with many more, but I have to run to the gas station and grab a cup of coffee before they stop making it fresh for the day. Ya know, so I can get my "fix"! (Note: I am actually serious about the coffee thing, so I will be back in a few...)

tarazarr

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2010
Texas
I know exactly what is in the liquids I order, and in what quantities (more or less). Yes, the Chinese have a history of poor quality control with a number of products. That's why I prefer to buy my liquids from US suppliers who make their own.

who is your US supplier? Do they produce their own nicotine liquid? Or do they just "mix" their Chinese produced nicotine liquid, with other products made in China or some other country. In America and tell you it's American made?

And for those who argue nicotine isn't a dangerous drug....Really? whens the last time you tried quitting nicotine?

Last edited:

tarazarr

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2010
Texas
I draw the line when someone compares me to a crackhead or heroine addict. That's just taking things way too far.

Nobody wants to be put in the same group as a crack head or heroine addict..... but the truth hurts, Nicotine is "Harder" to kick then either one of those drugs... You'll find meeting halls everyday of the week filled with people attending NA and AA meetings who have kicked those addictions....But Nicotine? whooooa now, they aren't about to give up nicotine..... and your fighting pretty hard against it too......

You say lets get real....Ok I'm with you.... Lets get real, enough of this I love my PV crap everyone post here everyday.... How are we supposed to get off these? I fear when these devices are illegal, we'll all be off cigarettes....well about as long as it takes us to get in the car and get to the store.....

I'm smoke free for 31 days now and I'm very thankful for that.... Very thankful, but I'm also scared, as most obese people have figured out by now despite all the magic bullet marketing on TV for the "Eat all you want, don't excercise and lose all the weight, look like a body builder in 8 weeks programs out there. There ARE no magic bullets.

We all want to get together on this forum and sing Kum-ba-ya together and yell we are free from cigarettes, but who are we fooling? We aren't addressing any of the addictions with an e-cig. still getting our nicotine "fix" still getting to pretend we are smoking a cig, Hell we even get to blow out big plumes of smoke...oops sorry vapor.... we are kidding ourselves...

As soon as this is pointed out then we rationalize ( I love reading fellow addicts rationalizing their addiction) we've found a safer way.... I'm not a smoker.... well give up your PV and see how long that last.... I admit, I'll be the guy in line in front of you at the convenience store buying a pack of marlboros..... Eye's wide shut..... it's not just the anti-vaping community that suffers from this....

Tober138

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
cHARLOTte, NC
You say lets get real....Ok I'm with you.... Lets get real, enough of this I love my PV crap everyone post here everyday.... How are we supposed to get off these? I fear when these devices are illegal, we'll all be off cigarettes....well about as long as it takes us to get in the car and get to the store.....

I'm smoke free for 31 days now and I'm very thankful for that.... Very thankful, but I'm also scared, as most obese people have figured out by now despite all the magic bullet marketing on TV for the "Eat all you want, don't excercise and lose all the weight, look like a body builder in 8 weeks programs out there. There ARE no magic bullets.

We all want to get together on this forum and sing Kum-ba-ya together and yell we are free from cigarettes, but who are we fooling? We aren't addressing any of the addictions with an e-cig. still getting our nicotine "fix" still getting to pretend we are smoking a cig, Hell we even get to blow out big plumes of smoke...oops sorry vapor.... we are kidding ourselves...

As soon as this is pointed out then we rationalize ( I love reading fellow addicts rationalizing their addiction) we've found a safer way.... I'm not a smoker.... well give up your PV and see how long that last.... I admit, I'll be the guy in line in front of you at the convenience store buying a pack of marlboros..... Eye's wide shut..... it's not just the anti-vaping community that suffers from this....

You fail to realize that there are a number of us who do not plan on vaping forever. I have been for a couple of months now, and have found a nic level that keeps me on the level. I plan to slowly start reducing the nic levels in my e-juice until I get that down to zero. My goal is not to simply be a vaper who used to smoke, I want to kick my nicotine addiction out the door for good, put down my PV, and walk away from all forms of cigarettes (analog and electronic) for good.

I do not see my e-cig as a "magic bullet". I see it as a tool (one that works better than patches or the gum did for me) that has gotten me away from analogs, and that will help me kick my nic habit - although I realize it will still take some effort on my part.

Jonmo1

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Bryan, TX
:On SoapBox

I see the Ecig for what it is, a recreational device for the delivery of nicotine.

At the moment, and for the LONG forseeable future, Nicotine is NOT an illegal substance.
As an Adult human being, I have the right to choose to use Nicotine.

I have found the Ecig to be a better way to deliver the nicotine than Cigarettes were.

I am simply exercising my human right to choose.

:Off SoapBox.

Last edited:

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
Nobody wants to be put in the same group as a crack head or heroine addict..... but the truth hurts, Nicotine is "Harder" to kick then either one of those drugs... You'll find meeting halls everyday of the week filled with people attending NA and AA meetings who have kicked those addictions....But Nicotine? whooooa now, they aren't about to give up nicotine..... and your fighting pretty hard against it too......

I think you're missing their point, though. Yes, nicotine is addictive. So are any number of drugs, both legal and illegal. No one seems to be saying otherwise. But the author, by using illicit drugs as their touchstone to "prove" what a bad product this is, is trying to slant toward nicotine as some big bad evil substance, and we "users" as undesirable.

Ever try to go "cold turkey" off of coffee after a 3 cup a morning habit? (Insert Mountain Dew/Dr.Pepper/whatever device you're using to get your fix here.) It's hell. The worst headache you will ever have outside of cluster/migraines. But addictive, with adverse effect upon withdrawal, and in no way/shape/form is it considered taboo. It's a substance extracted from a plant which provides a fully legal effect on the body. Ditto for nicotine. So why the moral outcry in the article's tone?

christym81

Mar 31, 2010
Keller, Texas

"Nobody wants to be put in the same group as a crack head or heroine addict..... but the truth hurts..."

No, it's not the truth because I'm not using an illegal substance. You can argue the fact that it's still a "drug" but unless it is outlawed and I am acquiring and using it illegally then no, it is not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread