Ridiculous article calling E-Cigs a "Scam"!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapulicious

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
E.Tx
he needs to educate himself if he intends to remain a journalist,
i wrote:

This looks like a hatchet job piece, are you a schill for the tobacco industry or the FDA? (one in the same)
Obviously you know very little in the way of facts, other than the FDA wants to ban a product that has virtually ZERO unhealthy side effects compared to cigarettes. E-cigs are legal in many countries around the world and are probably here to stay, they/you can try to ban it , but you wont be able to ban the technology. You should avail yourself of the facts before you malign something.Better yet, just leave ecigs out of it, go ban the real killer 'cigarettes', before you pass judgment on peoples right to choose a healthier option.

foggy1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
S F Bay Area

oettinger

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2010
Tampa, Fl.
Thank you DC2 for your link to the earlier information.
I'm still a little confused if the nicotine is absorbed in the mouth or in our lungs bit it's working and thats what matters ;)

As for Dana's 2 year old article, you can show people the truth, it doesn't mean they'll believe it. Vaping IS safer than smoking; period. :ohmy:

MOST medical professionals agree with US, so who is the REAL scam?

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
And for those who argue nicotine isn't a dangerous drug....Really? whens the last time you tried quitting nicotine?

Okay, I've got one. Do you eat wheat? If so, try taking every bit of it out of your diet for the next month. Ten to one says you have several, if not all, of the exact same withdrawal symptoms that you would with quitting nicotine, some possibly more debilitating. It turns out that the peptides from gluten, and even casein from milk, also bind with opiate sensors in your brain. Using this argument, should cookies and milk now be classified as dangerous drugs?

christym81

Mar 31, 2010
Keller, Texas
Incidentally, I didn't quit smoking and start vaping for my health. I quit smoking and started using e-cigs for these reasons:

1. My husband and family constantly .....ed about me smelling like smoke. Mainly my husband, who has a major aversion to the smell of smoke. (His mother has smoked all of her life and when he was little she used to smoke in the house and in the car with the windows rolled up with him in the passenger seat)

2. There were a lot of people at work who didn't know that I was a smoker and I was tired of going through the whole ritual hiding it by going out to my car and trying to smoke with my hand sticking out the window, holding the cigarette as far away from my clothes and hair as possible, then trying to "de-stinkify" myself after sneaking a smoke. You guys know what I'm talking about; scrubbing your hands/smoking fingers multiple times in a row, brushing teeth, mouthwash, mints, then a spritz of Febreeze or body spray, etc... Gets really old and your hands and mouth start to get raw by the 3rd time! Even after all that, I was constantly worried that I smelled like smoke.

3. Long car trips with family and people who didn't smoke were a nightmare!

The list could go on and on, but the point is that all of that has gone away and I no longer have to worry about any of that! I love the e-cig. I got exactly, if not more than what I paid for and, therefore, it is NOT a scam. Even if the e-cig was somehow found not to be a "healthier" alternative, I still would have gotten exactly what I paid for and would still vape. Period. The whole concept of the FDA trying to ban e-cigs and all the while continuing to sell products KNOWN to cause death is just ludicrous, unconstitutional and downright scary. Scary because it is plain to see the truth behind their motives and scary because it isn't to protect consumers.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm not sure that any supplier has tried to prove it, but it would be entirely possible for them to make juice here in the US. It is extremely easy to get nic liquid from labs around the states.
From this Wall Street Journal article...
E-Cigarettes Spark New Smoking War - WSJ.com

To counteract pressure from the FDA, the company has begun producing some products in the U.S. Mr. McVey hired 28-year-old Jeff Hildebrand, a biomedical sciences graduate from Texas A&M University, to brew e-cigarette juice in a small laboratory.

Several other companies are producing e-cigarette liquids in the U.S., partly because of the concern the FDA raised last year about quality control in Chinese factories.

Johnson Creek Enterprises LLC, a Wisconsin firm that makes its own "smoke juice," says it lists all the ingredients on its packaging and uses childproof caps.

Kobudo

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Evansville, IN
Thanks for that link DC, it is a very well-rounded article written by an honest-to-goodness journalist and not a hack. Though I wonder what happened to that old research study performed by Dr. Robertson and others...

Of much interest from page 2:

Propylene glycol is harmless to man when swallowed or injected into the veins. It is also harmless to mice who have breathed it for long periods. But medical science is cautious—there was still a remote chance that glycol might accumulate harmfully in the erect human lungs which, unlike those of mice, do not drain themselves. So last June Dr. Robertson began studying the effect of glycol vapor on monkeys imported from the University of Puerto Rico's School of Tropical Medicine. So far, after many months' exposure to the vapor, the monkeys are happy and fatter than ever. Dr. Robertson does not expect mankind to live, like his monkeys, continuously in an atmosphere of glycol vapor; but it should be most valuable in such crowded places as schools and theaters, where most respiratory diseases are picked up.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Unfortunately the people with the biggest mouths tend to know the least about what it spews out. Calling something a scam would mean that it promises something without delivering it. This guy either knew it was total BS and wanted attention, chose to ignore the obvious, or just lacks the intelligence to find out the truth.

I have just as much a problem with the article as I do with some of the responses. Reasonable people will listen to factual opinions about something and come to their own conclusions.

The fact is that almost EVERYONE knows a smoker. It may not be you or a family member, but you know one. If you found out about a product that is potentially safer you would probably want to know more. If you found objective reporting on this subject without extremist points of view, you might dig deeper. If you then found legitimate research that eliminated some of your doubts you might recommend it to the smoker in your life.

We need to be the honest, non extremist, research seeking, non fan boy types that people tend to listen to. There will always be someone who thinks any form of nicotine use is the devil, but why bother trying to educate someone who is all knowing in their mind. Just keep in mind that to a non PV user, you could come off as that same type of person.

To the guy questioning where the nicotine comes from in US made juices... Where does the Tobacco in major cigarette brands come from? I would tell you but you might want to read for yourself.. *hint* you will never find a true answer.

The last bit that I hear way too much is the nicotine addiction is equal to crack addiction line. Anyone who says this has two things in common.. they never did an addictive narcotic before, and they found a way to kill all their brain cells without one. Go read something about it before you even say another word, there is nothing more tragic than an addict of that type of drug.

ASmith

Sep 1, 2010
Salt Lake City
Well most websites I've been on are as secure as other Adult sites if you know what I mean, and no one is up in arms about those. what the detractors fail to realise about E-smoke sites is no kid is going to wait 5 to 10 days for an e cig when he can get a pack of smokes from the sev the same day. Kids have an instant gratification thing that will naturally steer them away from any mail order sites, especially when your folks are going to want to know what you ordered and will police their own home, at least I hope so.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Kids have an instant gratification thing that will naturally steer them away from any mail order sites, especially when your folks are going to want to know what you ordered and will police their own home, at least I hope so.
Can you imagine a kid charging their electronic cigarette batteries all the time AND trying to hide that from their parents? The idea that kids are going to use these things is completely and totally absurd.

brandon555

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2010
Wisconsin
Thank you DC2 for your link to the earlier information.
I'm still a little confused if the nicotine is absorbed in the mouth or in our lungs bit it's working and thats what matters ;)

As for Dana's 2 year old article, you can show people the truth, it doesn't mean they'll believe it. Vaping IS safer than smoking; period. :ohmy:

Nicotine is absorbed via mucous membranes. Thats why cigar smokers don't inhale, theres so much nicotine in a cigar that enough gets absorbed orally. Also, the pH of cigar smoke is more alkaline than cigarettes and gets absorbed more readily.

As for e-cigs evidence shows that the majority of the nic gets absorbed orally as well. The particles of vapor are bigger than the smoke particles from a cigarette. The small particles from cigarettes are absorbed better in the lungs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread