Series / Parallel confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT!

Jul 13, 2015
I'm looking into buying a mech mod but getting a little confused...

At first I thought series would double the voltage and parallel would be the same as having one battery but it would just share the load and would last twice as long.

However I've read that batteries in parallel will double the current. So if that is the case, then would series and parallel not really make any difference, being that V*A=W you're going to get the same wattage regardless anyway?

If that is the case, why would series be an option at all?

(for the record I have two sony vtc 4 batteries)

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Parallel doubles the mAh, the current stays the same, 4.2 volts fully charged. Series doubles the current, 8.4 fully charge.

It's good to know you have a pair of good batteries, but what do you plan to use them in? I doubt you mean a "mech mod" as that would already be set on which way your batteries would be used and would mean a fully mechanical device without wires.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
On an unregulated parallel with you VCT4s you have about 50 amps (Leaving a comfy headroom) to play with so you can build low ohm builds. with a series you will have the amp cap of ONE vct4 so 30 (but think 25 so you again have a safety cap) and you can only build coils that will not go below that. on a parallel you may be able to build down to .1 where as on a series you cant, you need to be staying above .3

Note: The above ohm ratings for builds are generalized and are simply used as examples. its way to early for me to do any form of math to work out what you can ACTUALLY build so I gave generalized examples to attempt to confuse the op about the differences.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
There's a lot of math in it. Higher voltage will allow you to run the same resistance at a slightly lower amperage, but as the batteries discharge, the voltage drops off and the amp load increases. Higher voltage (series) will heat up larger builds with more metal in them better, but you trade off maximum amp limit. Parallel mods have a higher amp limit so you can build at lower resistances and they split the load so your batteries last longer between charges. Batteries will also have a longer life in comparison because the batteries share the load and don't have to work as hard. But you are limited to 4.2V, and they wont heat up Claptons, zipper, twisted, etc... builds as well as a series mod. It's a trade-off either way.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I'm looking into buying a mech mod but getting a little confused...

At first I thought series would double the voltage and parallel would be the same as having one battery but it would just share the load and would last twice as long.

However I've read that batteries in parallel will double the current. So if that is the case, then would series and parallel not really make any difference, being that V*A=W you're going to get the same wattage regardless anyway?

If that is the case, why would series be an option at all?

(for the record I have two sony vtc 4 batteries)

Most dual battery mech mods have the batteries connected in parallel.
Most dual battery regulated mods have the batteries connected in series; one exception being the vapour flask.

parallel unregulated; note the 2 "+" at the top
2000102-2.jpg

series regulated; note the "+" and "-" at the bottom
2628300-6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread