Smokers Turned off from Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

GypsySyx

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Atlanta, GA
The setup I carry to work/out (Vision Spinner 400mah and a Vapeonly Mini BCC with a little tip) takes way less room than a pack of cigs and a lighter :)

One interesting side observation I've had over the last few months at work in our small control group (about 40 smokers total, and about half men and half women, all facing a total smoking ban on campus on October 1) is that way more men than women have switched to vaping (almost all the men vape now and only one woman...me). The men just switch and go...never look back (much like I did), while the women may talk a little about it, ask a couple of questions, pretend to listen to the answers (my conclusion), may even buy a starter set, but just never DO it. Maybe it is all the fidgeting to find a comfortable setup that seems like too much bother or maybe they're just too busy or think they are or maybe they're just not ready like many here have said. Who knows.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
The smoker has to want to quit. It all starts there. A smoker who doesn't really want to quit never will and the rest is just excuses.

Like most, I started with a cigalike but like most, I continue to chase the dragon lol. Physically small batteries just aren't there yet. Just the way it is.

I still use a few different cigalikes in various situations and, sure, prefer a VW mod with my latest creation on top of it or a mech making clouds that make my head swim, but the bottom line is no matter how good or bad the vape is, I will never, ever light up another cigarette. Any smoker who just hasn't made up their mind similarly will always find an excuse.

VprNomi

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
WI
I agree with the folks that were saying it's an excuse for folks who don't really want to quit. We all know an eGo setup takes up less pocket room than a pack of smokes and a lighter, and I disagree with whoever it was that said smoking is less of a hassle than vaping. No worries about where to ash, put your butts, cleaning ashtrays, cleaning up after you SPILL an ashtray, cleaning ashes out of your car, scrubbing that weird film off your windshield you get after smoking in your car for awhile, burn holes in upholstery, seats, clothes, etc. Oh, and CANCER. Cancer is a hassle. Sorry, but having to stick it on a charger at the end of the day and finding room in your pocket for something the size of a freaking sharpie doesn't offset the simple benefit of NOT GETTING CANCER OR HEART DISEASE or any of the other thousand freaking things that cigarettes do to you. So tell 'em to quit making excuses. Here's the world's easiest way to get off cigarettes. They can take it from there.

I respect your opinion but I disagree. Finding a place to ash, put the butts, dumping ashtrays, etc. isn't a hassle at all when you're a smoker because you have ashtrays where you need them and it's not like you don't walk into the kitchen several times a day so it's really no big deal to take the ashtray with you to dump it in a second and then bring it back with you when you leave. Ashtray spills? Well, I guess how much hassle that is to clean up depends on how full you let the ashtray get and often that happens to you. Same with burns; depends on how often that happens, I guess. For some smokers, those things aren't much hassle because they're not common. Cleaning tar buildup from the windshield was never a big deal for me because I have to clean the windshield from the inside every so often anyway because my kids get it all smudged up from putting their hands (and feet) up there. I never had tar buildup so bad that I couldn't see well through it, just a bit of orange/black on the paper towel while I was cleaning my kids' smudges off.

As far as cancer, heart disease, etc. - those are all absolutely the best reasons to quit - logically. The problem with that is that smokers (at least long term smokers) are addicts and addiction changes the way the addict applies (or doesn't) logic to sort their priorities. I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows smokers that have suffered multiple heart attacks, cancer & all other kind of afflictions who still smoke. They know better and have almost certainly tried to quit at least once but they haven't found success yet & may have given up thinking nothing will ever succeed because that's all they've seen is failure at trying to quit. My mother was one of these. She died a year and a half ago (not long after I started my vaping journey). She wasn't making excuses, she was doing the best that she could to make positive changes in her life, from totally different eating habits to finding the right medications (some made her sick & had to be switched out for another type), not to mention dealing with the stress of going from earning a pretty good living to being poor (while fighting for SSDI), losing her house as a result and having to move in with us. It's just not right to judge people you don't know anything about & say that they're "just making excuses" because you found a way that works for you but they didn't try it. Vaping doesn't replace smoking for everyone. It's not 100% effective.

I didn't want to start off with anything bigger than a cigarette not because an Ego doesn't fit in my pocket but because I thought for sure it wouldn't feel right to be puffing from what looks a lot like a large magic marker. It wasn't about excuses at all. I went through all kinds of time and money charging 6 KR808's twice a day, filling & refilling cartos, etc. That's

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
The smoker has to want to quit. It all starts there. A smoker who doesn't really want to quit never will and the rest is just excuses.
<snip>
Any smoker who just hasn't made up their mind similarly will always find an excuse.

I don't agree with that. I had no intention of quitting. (In fact, I'd been known to use the words 'cigarette' and 'pry out of my cold, dead hands' in the same sentence. :) )

I picked up my first e-cig (disposable) out of curiosity. I just found e-cigs to taste much better.

belsenj

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
East Northport, NY USA
I started because I had almost run out of Seneca's (Indian) and had to go to the store and buy a pack of Marlboro.

But...I was walking around with a terrible cough and my breathing was starting to be affected. I asked the guy behind the counter about those electronic cigarettes. He was great! Told me to buy a disposable, not the rechargeable just in case I didn't like it and I wouldn't waste any money. By the next afternoon, I bought a Logic rechargeable - and it's been all uphill since then (down on the pocketbook, but that's OK).

I switched for 2 reasons. 1 - I needed to after 38 years. 2 - Curiousity

KnurledNut

Moved On
Aug 15, 2013
Marineland
Only one of our friends smoke. Saying that, the others have been quite supportive. A few of our ex-smoker friends have even asked questions for their family members.

I did wander out to the barber shop today where everyone is allowed to smoke. I was hitting my vaper like a madman.

The older guys, like me, had no interest in quitting or even talking about what I was doing. There was one vaper in there with me. He moved over and we started chatting. Since I'm new (almost 25 hours now) he was great to talk to. I was in awe of his 'kit'.

jotook24tovaip

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas Tx. USA
I myself fought my e cigs (cigalikes) for a short time too. All the arguments fit when you need them. I was lucky, I found myself in a situation where I ran out of cigs (analogs) in a place where I couldn't smoke anyway! Sneaking was no option. My wife packed my cigalikes (virtually untouched), no smell others enjoyed trying to smell them, talked, joked etc. I haven't smoked since. Now when I see a person that has a question I sometimes offer a try... I carry plastic protectors I get from my b&m (local store) I can tell in the first 5 seconds if they are ready to open they're mind or fight it...everyone at your own pace me included. Oh, forgive my spelling as necessary.
Joe

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I respect your opinion but I disagree. Finding a place to ash, put the butts, dumping ashtrays, etc. isn't a hassle at all when you're a smoker because you have ashtrays where you need them and it's not like you don't walk into the kitchen several times a day so it's really no big deal to take the ashtray with you to dump it in a second and then bring it back with you when you leave. Ashtray spills? Well, I guess how much hassle that is to clean up depends on how full you let the ashtray get and often that happens to you. Same with burns; depends on how often that happens, I guess. For some smokers, those things aren't much hassle because they're not common. Cleaning tar buildup from the windshield was never a big deal for me because I have to clean the windshield from the inside every so often anyway because my kids get it all smudged up from putting their hands (and feet) up there. I never had tar buildup so bad that I couldn't see well through it, just a bit of orange/black on the paper towel while I was cleaning my kids' smudges off.

As far as cancer, heart disease, etc. - those are all absolutely the best reasons to quit - logically. The problem with that is that smokers (at least long term smokers) are addicts and addiction changes the way the addict applies (or doesn't) logic to sort their priorities. I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows smokers that have suffered multiple heart attacks, cancer & all other kind of afflictions who still smoke. They know better and have almost certainly tried to quit at least once but they haven't found success yet & may have given up thinking nothing will ever succeed because that's all they've seen is failure at trying to quit. My mother was one of these. She died a year and a half ago (not long after I started my vaping journey). She wasn't making excuses, she was doing the best that she could to make positive changes in her life, from totally different eating habits to finding the right medications (some made her sick & had to be switched out for another type), not to mention dealing with the stress of going from earning a pretty good living to being poor (while fighting for SSDI), losing her house as a result and having to move in with us. It's just not right to judge people you don't know anything about & say that they're "just making excuses" because you found a way that works for you but they didn't try it. Vaping doesn't replace smoking for everyone. It's not 100% effective.

I didn't want to start off with anything bigger than a cigarette not because an Ego doesn't fit in my pocket but because I thought for sure it wouldn't feel right to be puffing from what looks a lot like a large magic marker. It wasn't about excuses at all. I went through all kinds of time and money charging 6 KR808's twice a day, filling & refilling cartos, etc. That's

I was a smoker, more than a pack a day, for over 25 years, and just because something is a hassle you are used to, doesn't make it not a hassle. And I pointed out those particular examples to point out that, while vaping does come with its own set of hassles, so does smoking, so that particular argument for not trying it doesn't hold water. I realize that it won't work for everyone, and I'm not trying to downplay how hard it is to quit smoking, I'm referring not to the folks that are trying and failing, but to the folks that use any excuse at hand to not try at all. I did it myself for years. People will quit when they are ready, IF they are ready, and not before. My point, and I guess I made it badly, is that someone who isn't ready to quit will find an excuse not to, and while they have the right to make that choice, personally I'm going to keep pestering my dad until he gives vaping a shot. I'll be preachy and pushy and punch his excuses full of as many holes as I can, because vaping CAN help him stop. It helped me stop, and I LOVE to smoke. And he claims to want to quit. Well, here is something that could help. And, while I respect your opinion as well, I do think that someone who writes it off without trying it IS making excuses. If they try it and for whatever reason it doesn't work for them, that's a different story. Not to even TRY just because it's a little bigger than a cig IS making an excuse.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
Please don't take this the wrong way...

<snip>
People will quit when they are ready, IF they are ready, and not before. My point, and I guess I made it badly, is that someone who isn't ready to quit will find an excuse not to, and while they have the right to make that choice, personally I'm going to keep pestering my dad until he gives vaping a shot. I'll be preachy and pushy and punch his excuses full of as many holes as I can, because vaping CAN help him stop. It helped me stop, and I LOVE to smoke. And he claims to want to quit. Well, here is something that could help. <snip>

I realize that you want to help your Dad and that's commendable. But I would humbly suggest that 'pestering' and being 'preachy and pushy' is exactly the wrong way to go about it.

I know you're excited about vaping and quitting smoking but you said yourself that a person has to be ready. 'Pushing' doesn't work because the natural tendency is to dig in and push back.

My suggestion would be to just back off a bit. Show how much you're enjoying your different flavors, have a starter kit ready to give him, offer him the chance to 'try the new flavor' you got, etc. Make it a game - 'can you tell what flavor this is?' Stuff like that.

That's something I learned as a mother. The way to get the kids to try something new was not to push them but to show them how much I enjoyed doing it.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA

<snip>
People will quit when they are ready, IF they are ready, and not before. My point, and I guess I made it badly, is that someone who isn't ready to quit will find an excuse not to, and while they have the right to make that choice, personally I'm going to keep pestering my dad until he gives vaping a shot. I'll be preachy and pushy and punch his excuses full of as many holes as I can, because vaping CAN help him stop. It helped me stop, and I LOVE to smoke. And he claims to want to quit. Well, here is something that could help. <snip>

I realize that you want to help your Dad and that's commendable. But I would humbly suggest that 'pestering' and being 'preachy and pushy' is exactly the wrong way to go about it.

I know you're excited about vaping and quitting smoking but you said yourself that a person has to be ready. 'Pushing' doesn't work because the natural tendency is to dig in and push back.

My suggestion would be to just back off a bit. Show how much you're enjoying your different flavors, have a starter kit ready to give him, offer him the chance to 'try the new flavor' you got, etc. Make it a game - 'can you tell what flavor this is?' Stuff like that.

That's something I learned as a mother. The way to get the kids to try something new was not to push them but to show them how much I enjoyed doing it.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

I agree with Barbara. The more you push some people they more they resist. I would suggest the "curiosity method". Figure out what his favorite all time flavor is and try to get juice that tastes the same or similar. Then load some up in a device and just leave it lying around where he will find it and just leave it there....maybe for days. Eventually he will keep seeing it and when no one is looking his curiosity will get the better of him and he will just HAVE to try it. If he likes it he will probably then bring the topic up with you about what that wonderful flavor was and where you got it.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole

I'm actually finding with him it's the techie aspect that's starting to hook in. I got him to watch a pbusardo video that explains the basic tech for newbies and my mom says he's been watching videos and reading reviews, finally. Part of the problem is that I live so far away from them at the moment, so I can't just hand him my PV and get him to try it. With anyone else I'd probably agree with you about the not nagging thing, but with my dad you sometimes have to just hammer away till he listens. I can't really say he WANTS to quit, but he gets that his health is making it not an option to keep smoking, so I really do think vaping will be the best option for him. The funny thing is, once he starts I'm 100% sure that within a month he'll be building coils and DIY'ing his own juice and giving ME advice. Just the kinda guy he is.

Vapeman12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Georgia
Was in a vape shop today and seen some boxes that were same size as cigarette boxes, now that would be handy take your 450-650 mah batt your clearomizer and a bottle of juice im sure it all would fit. just screw together vape then unscrew put back in, i don't see the problem but never was a smoker.
Something that has no continuous smoke, no ash no bad smell. whats the issue really?

tdavids

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Oregon
I am actually having the exact opposite response from smokers, i work for a contractror at a high tech plant and ecigs are treated the same my thier management as analogs. but when I am in the smoking area with my Vamo and Evod. all I get are questins about ecigs and juice and ease of use od you miss smoking ect. I have given out ECF and vendors that I use to afew people, it would probably be more but I am only on the site for 2 hrs a day. I smoked my last analog in January and haven't looked back even through 60hr weeks and pressure cooker deadlines.:vapor:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
^^^ Exactly what I was going to type myself :)

The "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" example.

If they really want to, they will. If they don't, they won't. Don't push too hard, otherwise you may alienate them altogether. And after all, some people do come around.

Last edited:

NewVaprr

Mar 6, 2011
Kansas
I think it is a convenience thing... started with a luci and found I had to keep a batt on charge at all time and several cartridges... it was inconvenient.
Moved up to the EGO-T, but the stupid things kept leaking...
Am now using the Ego batteries and seeing which I like better, the Apollo E2 clearomizer or the Anyvape Davide... (leaning towards the latter)...
There is a learning curve with the equipment, but am finding that the flavors and quality of the ejuice has come a long ways since I first started... tomorrow will likely be my first day of analog free with my recent shipment from goodlifevapor.com

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
I quit thinking of vaping as a substitute for smoking a long time ago. Now with the equipment I have its a complete different experience. I also don't have to have my PV tied to me at all times. When Im out and about now I rarely even think about it. I like to save it for night time when everything is done and I can relax on the couch.

And i was working 2 jobs when I started and I still had the time to learn and get my routine down ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread