Steeping herbs in e-juice, bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporGourmet

May 30, 2015
So I've been enjoying my new hobby for a week and a half or so now, and my favorite thing about it is the huge variety of custom flavors mods a person can have. It's genuinely fun to make my own mixes of juice and share them with friends and other people that vape (those little silicone mouthpiece tips are a godsend).

Lately, I've had a couple ideas to enhance some of my juices with herbs from my garden; let the orange creamsickle sit with some chocolate mint leaves in it for a few days, or steep cilantro in my pineapple mango blend, basil or mint in the lemonade, and so on, you guys get the idea.

I haven't tried it yet, since from a flavor viewpoint, it may sound great, but I'm not actually sure how smart it is from a vapor standpoint. I'm not sure if something from steeping the herbs in the oil would react when using the juice in my vaporizer, or clog it, etc. etc.

I thought I'd ask those of you with more experience on the matter; is steeping herbs in my e-juices to make new flavors the great idea I think it is, or a great way to ruin my hardware in a hurry?

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
So I've been enjoying my new hobby for a week and a half or so now, and my favorite thing about it is the huge variety of custom flavors mods a person can have. It's genuinely fun to make my own mixes of juice and share them with friends and other people that vape (those little silicone mouthpiece tips are a godsend).

Lately, I've had a couple ideas to enhance some of my juices with herbs from my garden; let the orange creamsickle sit with some chocolate mint leaves in it for a few days, or steep cilantro in my pineapple mango blend, basil or mint in the lemonade, and so on, you guys get the idea.

I haven't tried it yet, since from a flavor viewpoint, it may sound great, but I'm not actually sure how smart it is from a vapor standpoint. I'm not sure if something from steeping the herbs in the oil would react when using the juice in my vaporizer, or clog it, etc. etc.

I thought I'd ask those of you with more experience on the matter; is steeping herbs in my e-juices to make new flavors the great idea I think it is, or a great way to ruin my hardware in a hurry?
Mint shouldn't be too much of a problem but there is a possibility that some other herbs could prove to be an irritant when inhaled . I vape a lot of NET's , naturally extracted tobacco liquids made by essentially the same steeping process and some of them will gunk up a coil pretty quickly but not a problem other than that . The only thing I can suggests is trying small amounts and see how it vapes , I do think it's worth trying just a little at a time .

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Agreed. The addition of herbal essences should be done either by 1) using flavor extracts of those herbs and adding them to the juice or 2) steeping herbs into the flavor concentrate used to mix the juice, being sure to strain the concentrate with a fine paper filter prior to mixing. Any particles left in your juice might burn... and steeping after the mix will likely have really strong and undesirable resutls. Also, something like cilantro might hurt the lungs when inhaled. Same is true for other edible herbs.

kaahn

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern NC
Yeah I agree with the above post. Try a little and see how it tastes or you can try your own cold maceration and make your own extract. There are posts over in the DIY section of the forums pertaining to the process of extracting tobacco flavor. I'm sure it would work the same way with your mint for instance. Its a fairly easy process it seems. It just takes time. Good luck!

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Better to take mint leaves and put in bottle and add some VG and put it in microwave for 15 seconds, let it cool and put it in a second time for 15 seconds, cool down again and then 5 seconds and dump it through a piece of coffee filter into a shot glass. Then use it as a mix. That's how I do it with coffee. CHEERS!

Ravi Brounstein

Unresolved Status
Jun 4, 2015
Eugene Oregon
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread