Success!! I hope... also; need repair advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a week ago I narrowly avoided a motor vehicle accident. In doing so, my trusty ego twist - ever in my left hand while driving - got wedged between the steering wheel and shifter, and the threaded end was forcibly ripped out of the body. My soldering skills are pretty rusty to say the least, but after 4 frustrating nights, I finally managed to get it soldered and working again. With all the parts laying out on the counter, connected by wires, but not assembled, I got it to vape. As soon as I put it all back together, it died. It's charging now, and I really really really hope I fixed it. Update to follow in the AM.

Anybody here ever repaired a unit like this? I was recently given a Kamry X6 1300mah battery that has a pushed-in center pin, it will be my next little project. The unit charges, and the button lights up/changes voltage etc... but no vape. when compared to my functional X6, the center pin is not even visible in the hole. I have been trying to get the silly thing apart for 2 days now, but can't figure out if its pressed, glued, or screwed together. Anybody ever taken one apart before? or know where I can find anything resembling a schematic or exploded view???

Satava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm not sure what kind of precautions are taken internally to protect the Li-ion battery, but I can tell you that moisture is a good way to really make it mad if it's not properly sealed. I'd be very wary of using a sealed type setup that has been pulled apart like that personally. It might be time to retire the old girl and buy a new one =(

I appreciate everyone's concern, but I don't believe in throwing something out that can be fixed. Case in point, I'm currently vaping my newly repaired twist referenced above, just a little solder and patience and she's good as new. Satava; The twist units are not "sealed" at all, it's a tight slip fit that can easily be wiggled and pulled apart, one of mine was a little too loose from the factory, so I applied a little dab of liquid nails on the ribbed part and it hasn't come loose since. The wires that are soldered to the battery do have what appears to be a watertight urethane coating over the soldered connections, so moisture should not be a problem. Over_Stim; the unit is charging and functioning 100% normally... perhaps I should've taken pics to better explain what happened and how I fixed it, but rest assured that I have more than a little bit of technical knowledge and would not attempt something like this if I didn't believe it to be safe. Further, I would never recommend or condone someone doing a repair like this if they were not comfortable with electronic repairs - it's not for everybody:)

Over_Stimulation

Moved On
Mar 10, 2013
Over_Stim; the unit is charging and functioning 100% normally... perhaps I should've taken pics to better explain what happened and how I fixed it, but rest assured that I have more than a little bit of technical knowledge and would not attempt something like this if I didn't believe it to be safe.

rock on brother, I'm stoked it worked and that ur happy! :toast:

SoundlessHero

Mar 1, 2013
Emeryville
Glad you got it working. DIY is much funner than passing cash. Unless you kill yourself...then I'm pretty sure it's not worth it :)

My eGo-C 900mAh ended up with a pushed in center. I took it back to the B&M I purchased it from and for 10 bucks he gave me a 1300 mAh Vision Spinner :thumb:

He said he fixes them by removing the battery and using a magnet and paperclip to get it to pop up. I don't know how safe that is though. If I had exceeded my warranty, I would have tried my angled tip ball joint O-ring pliers to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread