Swedish snus? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenix-T

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2010
NC
So, I've just recently started using (again) some Camel Mellow snus I had in my fridge. I got them as samples back in my smoking days. I really like the taste of them. Then I started reading raves about Swedish snus being better.

Yesterday, I 'ordered' the free sample of General White from getsnus. Today, I stopped by the 'bacco shop next to barber shop I was stopping for. I asked about snus (my curiosity was getting me), and the only Swedish snus they had was Grand Prix. I picked up a can.

I put it in my lip after getting done with the barber. All I could taste was salt. I figured it would pass, and it did. After the salt, I couldn't taste anything. So I worked the pouch around and just got a mouthful of more salt. The whole time I was salivating and spitting just like my dipping days.

To say the least, I was pretty disappointed. Is this typical of what to expect from Swedish snus? Of the General White I have on the way?

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
To say the least, I was pretty disappointed. Is this typical of what to expect from Swedish snus? Of the General White I have on the way?

The bigger question is what are you expecting? As to the flavor, General White portions are salty, particularly to a new snuser. More of a traditional Swedish flavor, with bergamot (a citrusy peppered taste). I don't particularly care for it myself. Luckily for me there's several tobacco and other flavors I love. But for me, the most important factor is does it deliver, which it does very well. And welcome to the neighborhood :).

Fenix-T

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2010
NC
The bigger question is what are you expecting? As to the flavor, General White portions are salty, particularly to a new snuser. More of a traditional Swedish flavor, with bergamot (a citrusy peppered taste). I don't particularly care for it myself. Luckily for me there's several tobacco and other flavors I love. But for me, the most important factor is does it deliver, which it does very well. And welcome to the neighborhood :).

I was expecting more than just salt :p. I've read up a bit more on Grand Prix and I guess it is the bottom of the barrel. OTT salt taste, as long as it doesn't taste like Copenhagen dip, that's a start. To me, flavor is just as important as getting the fix. If I don't like the way it tastes, I'll spit it out.

Skrymr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
I was expecting more than just salt :p. I've read up a bit more on Grand Prix and I guess it is the bottom of the barrel. OTT salt taste, as long as it doesn't taste like Copenhagen dip, that's a start. To me, flavor is just as important as getting the fix. If I don't like the way it tastes, I'll spit it out.

My first impression of general portions was copenhagen dip. After my taste buds got acclimated to snus however it changed for the better... much better. My favorite snus are grovsnus. White, black, portions, as far as flavor it doesn't matter. Grov Black has the perfect combination of flavor and vitamin N for me though.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
If you like the taste of Camel, you may want to start with some Swedish "beginners' snus" or womens' snus, which is sweeter, less salty and often flavored with fruit, eucalyptus, mint or coffee. I like General white mint minis, almost all the Fellini flavors (not too sure about licorice/lemon), Mocha Pomegranate, Mocha Mint, Catch Dry rhubarb, and so on. You may even like the purified portions (Wine and Dine is flavorless). These are all available in white mini portions at Northerner. If 3-6 mg range is too weak for you, you can find most flavors with higher nic content. Visit Northerner.com, they provide very good descriptions and reviews of every flavor they carry.

Good luck and have fun.

Skrymr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
It doesn't have to be a sweet flavor at all. It's just that taste from Cope. As far as when I dipped, I used Grizzly Straight (cheap, good flavor and very nice bite). I didn't see the "beginners" section on Northerner.com?

I would recommend:

Ettan- nice straight tobacco flavor

Lab 01- nice straight tobacco flavor

Lab 02- strong version of Lab 01.

Grovsnus Black- my personal favorite

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
It doesn't have to be a sweet flavor at all. It's just that taste from Cope. As far as when I dipped, I used Grizzly Straight (cheap, good flavor and very nice bite). I didn't see the "beginners" section on Northerner.com?

Fenix, they don't have a beginners' sections per se, but all the flavors/brands I had mentioned are perfect entry-level choices. Just read the descriptions and reviews, they are very helpful and accurate.

AllCoExPat

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2010
Elkton, MD
I picked up the habbit and combined with PV its just great =)

My question is, i've heard alot of horror stories and seen pictures what it has done to ur teeth and gums. Does swedish snus do it too ?

I'm sure that someone can point you towards the research the've done in Sweden, but my personal experience has shown that my teeth look much better now than they did when I was smoking. My gums had receded a bit from smoking, but I haven't noticed any worsening when I switched to snus.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Krahv, I have been using snus for about five or six months and am in braces. I have been to the dentist twice and the orthodontist once a month. My last cleaning the lady that cleans my teeth commented on how good I was taking care of them. There has never been a mention of anything from either the dentist or orthodontist. I think that there are some chances of gum recession but I still think the chances are less than with smoking. Here is an article by Swedish Match which is one of the biggest producers of snus.
    Oral lesions - Swedish Match

I think that if you brush regularly and floss every day like we are all supposed to do anyway that most likely recession will be minimal.

AllCoExPat

ECF Veteran
    Feb 1, 2010
    Elkton, MD
    I won't lie, there was some initial soreness when I started using snus. I just had a dentist visit a few weeks ago and my gums are healthier than they were at my visit 6 months ago. I am flossing like a fiend too. Isn't it funny how much more health conscious we seem to become after we quit smoking?

You know, I had forgotten about that first few days. You're right about the gums being a little tender when you start snussing. As long as I didn't leave it in one place too long, that help minimize that raw feeling. Now I find myself consistantly hitting a spot just left of center with most portions and haven't seen any problems. Just seems to feel most "natural" there for some reason.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread