Talked to My Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighHeeledGoddess

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
I went to the doctor on Friday, and told him I quit smoking a year ago - the last time I saw him. He knew I was quitting at that time (last year's visit) and was happy to hear I was able to keep up with it.

I told him I'd started using a PV, and he told me he is going to start making under the table recommendations to people that they use them, because so many of his patients are reporting success with them. He said the only real risks we have from continually using these long term are 1 - the risks associated with nicotine, and 2 - an increased incidence/risk of developing pneumonia because of the moisture introduced to the lungs.

He told me he'd like to see me get down to 0mgs of nicotine, and after that I can vape forever without doing any harm to myself. He based this off the people who have vaporizer usage prescribed to them for various things.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Very cool! Nice to see some open-minded health professionals. In fact, based on what I've read, it seems like the people who work in the field, like doctors, are far more receptive to it than the big wigs who are removed from it all.

I have also wondered about the pneumonia thing - it makes sense that the risk from vaping would be increased, however slight that increase may be.

What we really need are a bunch of doctors to petition the FDA. They're seeing our results first hand in their examination rooms.

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
I think one way to avoid pneumonia is to add a teeny tiny drop of 100% pure peppermint oil (make sure it's pure!) to your juice...peppermint oil is a natural expectorant and helps expel junk from your lungs and sinuses. If you don't feel comfortable putting it into your juice, just rub it on your chest at night (like you would with Vick's). I've been using PO for years and it works better than any Robitussin or other expectorant on the market.

Just a suggestion. I'm not a doc, so maybe it's just wishful thinking.

dfs405

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2010
amherst new york
I am not a doctor and do not pretend to know better than he does-I am glad to hear he is supportive. The only thing I don't like is the thing about getting sick easier from the vapor in the lungs. I don't know how you can determine such a thing. For example I started vaping a year ago and have been off analogs and only vaping since January 16th this year. I have not even had a cold since I started, yet this would not be reported to the doctor for the obvious reasons. My point is , how would anyone know if there is any increase in illness without knowing how many converts there are and what the percentage is that are getting ill compared to the amount those same people used to get ill before vaping. Please don't take this post wrong, its great to hear your doctor is on your (our) side. I myself can see a huge difference in my breathing capabilities since I have quit smoking.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
I am not a doctor and do not pretend to know better than he does-I am glad to hear he is supportive. The only thing I don't like is the thing about getting sick easier from the vapor in the lungs. I don't know how you can determine such a thing. For example I started vaping a year ago and have been off analogs and only vaping since January 16th this year. I have not even had a cold since I started, yet this would not be reported to the doctor for the obvious reasons. My point is , how would anyone know if there is any increase in illness without knowing how many converts there are and what the percentage is that are getting ill compared to the amount those same people used to get ill before vaping. Please don't take this post wrong, its great to hear your doctor is on your (our) side. I myself can see a huge difference in my breathing capabilities since I have quit smoking.

They can infer an increased risk due to other vaporized substances, some used for medicinal purposes, that have been studied in the past. I think that is a perfectly reasonable assertion, that vapor in the lungs creates more moisture than no vapor in the lungs.

However, her doctor did ALSO say that if she vaped 0-nic, she could quite happily continue doing so with no expected complications all her life.

So from this we can infer -

1. Someone who vapes has more moisture in their lungs than someone who doesn't, and thus more susceptibility than someone who doesn't vape.

2. That this risk is extremely small, and an otherwise healthy person shouldn't expect to experience this complication.

Everything has risks, some big and some small. It is good to be aware of all risks, even the small ones. That is how we make informed decisions.

I don't think stating this small risk is a bad thing, and her doctor seems to be acknowledging that it is, indeed, a small risk, and thus not a big enough deal that she should quit vaping.

And by the by... do you vape PG? PG is a mild anti-microbial. This has likely been the reason you aren't getting sick. :)

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
He said the only real risks we have from continually using these long term are 1 - the risks associated with nicotine, and 2 - an increased incidence/risk of developing pneumonia because of the moisture introduced to the lungs.

Perhaps you might want to remind your physician that PG has been used as the vehicle for inhaled Cyclosporine for lung transplant patients. Propylene Glycol is used as a drug delivery system, even for patients who have pulmonary complications and for those whose lungs are compromised. PG is used in this case because of the germicidal and virucidal properties.

I can't imagine why he'd even think that PG would cause pneumonia. Perhaps he confused the cause of Lipoid pneumonia (uncommon condition that results from the chronic aspiration of mineral, animal, or vegetable oils into the lungs). PG and VG are not oils and are water soluble. For this reason, I don't think that oils are a good idea in our liquids (Pheisty - regarding peppermint oils) and even then, unless a very small amount is used. While some have used oils for quite a while, with no reported problems, I certainly wouldn't vape it all day every day for the very reason just cited.

If PG or VG were to cause any kind of moisture in the lungs, I'm sure by now we'd have tons of people reporting respiratory issues, severe bronchitis and pneumonia episodes. Before starting on e-cigs I suffered from major bronchitis bouts at least 3 times each year that would last for weeks and had pneumonia once while smoking (about 15 years ago). Since switching over (17 months ago) I have had one "cold" that lasted all of 3 days with hardly any symptoms. I vaped the whole time through it and I chain vape all day 365 days a year. LOL.

Maybe you can send your Physician some more info so he can reconsider this (and isn't telling what he told you to more of his patients). Unfortunately, it is up to us to help to educate our medical professionals so they aren't relying on the FDA B.S. and other misconceptions when it comes to this product. This page might be a good one to just mail him a copy of? Worldwide H1N1 Flu Pandemic? Is Propylene Glycol the answer?

PVPuff&Stuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Bishop, California, United States
Quite possibly. Anyone going to the doctor soon...? :D

I'm headed that way on Tuesday, I'll have to remember to ask. Going to see what the VA asthma doctor thinks about vaping, and leave a huge stack of business cards in my wake. Last doc I showed the 510 to was very supportive and amazed at how well it seemed to work.

oettinger

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2010
Tampa, Fl.
My VA doctor is very supportive, and calls me an EX-smoker. I see a cardiologist every cpl months, as I was discharged for "Sick Sinus Syndrome" meaning that my heart rate while I was sleeping was dropping below 12 beats a minute. The doctors told me that if I had quit smoking and drinking coffee back them that I would have had heart failure, and that the stimulants were keeping me alive.

HighHeeledGoddess

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
They can infer an increased risk due to other vaporized substances, some used for medicinal purposes, that have been studied in the past. I think that is a perfectly reasonable assertion, that vapor in the lungs creates more moisture than no vapor in the lungs.

However, her doctor did ALSO say that if she vaped 0-nic, she could quite happily continue doing so with no expected complications all her life.

So from this we can infer -

1. Someone who vapes has more moisture in their lungs than someone who doesn't, and thus more susceptibility than someone who doesn't vape.

2. That this risk is extremely small, and an otherwise healthy person shouldn't expect to experience this complication.

Everything has risks, some big and some small. It is good to be aware of all risks, even the small ones. That is how we make informed decisions.

I don't think stating this small risk is a bad thing, and her doctor seems to be acknowledging that it is, indeed, a small risk, and thus not a big enough deal that she should quit vaping.

And by the by... do you vape PG? PG is a mild anti-microbial. This has likely been the reason you aren't getting sick. :)

Yes, that is exactly what he said. He told me this was based upon incidences with people who are prescribed vaporizers for other medical conditions. He was very much in favor of me continuing to use it until I either drop it on my own, or I pass away.

To some of the other people that posted - he never said the PG would cause pneumonia, only that introducing increased moisture to your lungs than what would normally be there could increase the chances of getting pneumonia, but that these were very small risks. As a doctor, he has to tell me there is a 1 in a million chance of it happening, because I could very well be that 1.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
I'd ask that Dr if people living in Florida get pnumonia more often that people living in Arizona. By his reasoning, more humidity would mena more risk as well - Sorry but I can't see that.

Actually...
Bronchitis and pneumonia cases rise as temps and humidity soar | WSBT - News, Weather, Sports South Bend | Local News

And this quote:
And the increase in respiratory cases for infants and toddlers are also prevalent. Doctors at Medpoint have noticed the increase as pollen and mold counts, along with heavy rains, made people sick this summer.

And:
Mold

Mold exposure also may lead to infections such as fungal pneumonia in persons with compromised immune systems.

So, it's not the humidity directly, but rather what humidity fosters. This was mostly seen in the vulnerable (young, elderly, sickly, etc). But... well, there ya go.

Couldn't find a state-by-state record, but I imagine it would follow suit.

t9c

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Houston
:thumb: I have (had?) COPD too. I had to puff an inhaler almost anytime I did anything strenuous, in the middle of the night while waking up from short breath, etc. It seems worse in more humid conditions, so I can see how living in AZ would be better for those with pulmonary issues. Nowadays I only need a puff every now and then and depending how much I do lung vapes.

Anyway, get him an e-cig asap. You can even get a disposable for ~$10. It will recharge for several weeks, but I'm sure he will take to it IF he wants to quit, then get something better.

Drexn get him the ecig. I have copd , and had major shortness of breath. so much so that I could barely walk across the house.
Now I can mop the floor !! When the weather turns cooler I am going to start going for walks outside . 6 months of ecigs has changed my life and my doc cant believe the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread