The Gas Station Argument

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samie

Apr 16, 2010
OR, USA
You're going to have people freaking out about something that looks like smoke around a gas pump.
Just let the ...... go right ahead and freak on out. Okay?:closedeyes:

Fixed it for ya. ;)

LOL agreed!! I still don't think we should vape at the pump, but don't we freak enough people out otherwise?? Restaurants and bars and such? It's no different smoking at the pump then it is in a restaurant (without the huge possibility that the coil is hot enough to cause a spark) IMO.

SubSplat

Jan 25, 2012
Oregon
Nor do I ever recall seeing a gas station or pump with any sort of fire damage, except in action flicks. Doesn't mean it never happened, but I just don't recall it ever happening in the real world.

People watch too many movies. Or movies exaggerate things too much, depending on perspective. Probably a bit of both.

Either way, the result is that most people have a very distorted view of reality.

minx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2011
South Florida
but then it got me thinkin', is this going to be one of those orange plastic caps on toy guns situations? Are Ecigs going to be the target of needless regulations such as forcing the companies to produce batteries that do not resemble traditional cigarettes?

Every time my imagination runs wild with theoretical and absurd laws, they end up becoming reality.

I'm not intending to get into a gun debate here, but... To compare an ecig to a toy gun with an orange cap on it is a bit extreme. "Real" cigarettes don't have an LED light on the end, and they get smaller the more you puff. If your pv does not have an LED on the end, it has no glow, unlike an analog that does burn and ash. Many many pvs out there don't look like an analog, my pvs never did. I have vaped while pumping gas, I get more looks because my Buzz with a tank looks odd to people, not because they are afraid I am going to blow the place up.
Puffing your ecig in front of me will not get you killed. Pointing a toy gun at me might get you killed, orange cap or not.

Myriad Dark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Las Vegas
The sad thing about modern society is that many people don't feel safe unless they have something to fear. I'm not sure if it's a case of "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't" or what, but it is becoming all too clear that this mentality is a byproduct of the information age being warped into the misinformation age. If they don't immediately understand it, or if it doesn't directly apply to them then it must be harmful and wrong in their minds. If people would spend half the time trying to understand something as they do coming up with reasons to fear and ban it I think we would find ourselves in a far more reasonable world.

Last edited:

subliminalurge

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2011
Quad Cities
Still? The coils of nearly any PV can be red-hot.

Might be red-hot, but they're also enclosed inside a metal container and soaked in non-flammable liquid. An e-cig that's ready to use (fully assembled, full of juice) is not going to be able to ignite gasoline. It's just not going to happen.

Hmm.... Next time I have a bad-tasting atty I think I'll try a little experiment. Drip a few drops of gasoline right on the element, power it up and see if it ignites. I suppose that might do it, but my suspicion is that even under those circumstances it will just evaporate away.

Vaping near dangerous things to freak out little old ladies demonstrates a need for several things.

Why should I avoid doing perfectly safe things just to calm the nerves of those who are completely irrational? That also demonstrates an unhealthy need.

Last edited:

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Stosh, with all due respect, that video looks like a static-discharge fire, not a cigarette-ignited fire. Static-discharge fires are quite common. And, while spectacular, they usually blow themselves out without blistering any paint.

Cigarette-ignited fires, by contrast, are quite rare. You need a) a big puddle of gasoline spilled all over b) really lumpy, worn out concrete with a huge surface area, and c) a really, really hot day to evaporate the gasoline with d) no breeze at all so the vapor concentrates, and finally e) usually direct contact of the smoldering cigarette with the liquid gasoline right at the liquid/vapor boundary.

Cigarettes, by the way, smolder at around 800-900 degrees F. Gasoline ignites at around 475-525 degrees F. The very hottest part of the atomizer or atomizer part of a carto might get up around 400 degrees F., but it's surrounded with e-liquid at a much cooler temperature, around boiling or below. Witness the fact that, even after heavy chain-vaping, you can still pick up your PV by the hottest part of the carto with no damage done to your fingertips.

Last edited:

subliminalurge

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2011
Quad Cities
The problem with gasoline is that the liquid doesn't burn, only the vapors burn. And even the lightest of breezes will disperse those vapors fast enough to make ignition difficult to achieve.

If you're trying to start a fire with a lit cigarette, dry leaves will be a much better friend to you than gasoline, and people seem to go to sleep at night with no trouble at all inside a house that's surrounded by dry leaves....

Yes, gasoline can be dangerous in the right conditions and should be respected. But it is not "Instant Fire" just by getting something relatively warm near it.

subliminalurge

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2011
Quad Cities
In my opinion you should be able to refrain from Vaping for the 5 minutes it takes to fill your vehicle. Even if they realize you are Vaping why would you want to cause someone to have a negative opinion of ecig users?

Why would that cause a rational person to have a negative opinion? It wouldn't.

And I refuse to live my life catering to the irrational. That's a ride that just never ends....

MrsCasey

Pink Spot Fanatic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Vaping while filling my tank is like using my cell phone. They are both a no-no.

I agree 100% bjannr. I am not a little old lady but I get upset with people who take the risk of using a cell phone at the pump. They are not only taking a chance with their own safety but also mine and everyone else at the station. The chances may be very small that an explosion could occur but I don't appreciate someone taking that chance for me.

subliminalurge

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2011
Quad Cities
The chances may be very small that an explosion could occur but I don't appreciate someone taking that chance for me.

And there's a "small chance" that you could be killed by a polar bear that escaped from the local zoo. Are you also angry at the zoo for "taking that chance for you"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread