Unwelcoming Brick & Mortar

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRIPDUBZ

Feb 10, 2014
Michigan
I was hesitant to post this, but I want your opinion on this...

My friends have only been vaping for a few months and ventured out to a new shop about 45 minutes away. We open the door, and seem to immediately inconvenience the store attendant by taking them away from their xbox. We say hi and continue to mosey over to the counter. "Whats up, how are you?" I say in attempt to start conversation.

After staring in the case silently for a few minutes, I ask him how old the some juice is in the shelf "I don't vape anything out of plastic bottles" he dismissively replies, "I like high-end juice." So I say "okay then great, what do you have? What do you recommend?"

"The descriptions are right there" as he languidly points to some paper on the counter with brief descriptions of the juice lines. Hmm. Seems like info easily retrievable online (e.g. frankenvape is a kiwi marshmallow).

Hm. "Do you have a sample?" The silence is militant at this point. I took a couple puffs, hmft a couple hmmfts, then said "well thanks for your time" and walked out, for the first and last time.

Here's the thing, I was in retail for about 5-6 years, and if I learned one thing, it's that you are selling yourself. If people are comfortable and trustworthy of you, they are much more likely to buy and come back. I felt like I we were simply keeping the store attendant from the xbox sticks...

I have been to multiple other stores and had a MUCH different (and positive, welcoming, encouraging, open) experience. I tried to portray my experience fairly and honestly, but why would a shop not be chock full of friendly, helpful, informative and welcoming staff? I don't doubt that this person is probably nice - but I'm really not how they expect to grow a business with this kind of attitude.

Has anybody had experiences like this? Sorry if this is a dupe post (other brick & mortar stories - please link or direct).

P.S. - NOT a tobacco shop with a side chest of gear and sauce, this was a dedicated vapor shop.

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
To me its never a good sign if employees in any kind of retail store have time to sit around playing video games, it shows a nonprofessional attitude (not to mention lack of customers)
Video games have no place in a retail store (unless its one that sells them), and the customer shop always get your complete attention.

Bob92985

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2012
Indiana
I hate to say it but a lot of vapers are setting some really bad examples for us as a whole. This guy seems to have some "I work at/own a vapor store and I'm cool because of it" mentality (thats just what i got from it as I've seen this before in my POS local place.) I mean you've got people in malls and outside of stores and stuff standing in crowds blowing vapor at people and daring people to say something about it like its a challenge to authority.

No wonder a lot of people want to see it banned. A lot of vapers are starting to look a lot like the old skate boarder stereotype.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
So sorry for your bad experience. The sad thing is, the owner/manager will probably look at very low, to no, receipts for the day, and the clerk will tell him, "Well, I couldn't help it. Nobody came in the store."

Small shops would do well to install small surveillance cameras - not to watch the customers, but to check up on terrible employees like that one.

Recycled Roadkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2013
Garland, TX
In my opinion any customer of any shop should be treated as if they're the only customer they have.

Some vape stores employ teens because they'll work cheap. If the boss is away they'd rather play. I'm pretty sure the teen don't have the kind of money it takes to run a B&M.

Teens often seem to believe the actual owners just have tons of money and don't believe they have any responsibility to the owners profitability with the business and both parties often learn this the hard way.

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
I complain about the selection at the closest thing my town has to a vape shop. They sell analogs, tobacco, incense, glass (you know what I mean), hookahs and everything else under the sun but don't have much of a vape selection. HOWEVER, the guy I talked to the night I walked in and said "Tell me about e-cigs" was the antithesis of what the OP described. Granted, thanks to ECF and the internet I have not stepped foot back into that store. But If he worked at a REAL vape shop, I would hang out there all the time.

I think next week I will go by and thank him for not being an jerk.

Laylel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
Victoria, BC, CA
I really don't get it. Why anyone get employees... They say - "Find hobby - make it your job - and you never have to work again". You have to get vapors, those who is in love with all this little and not little toys. Not just dude who did read about it all. Also those guys who so bloody snobby - they are at high end... aha... you are in little store with min wage body, no... you are owner, well with this attitude you will be in Bankrupt process very soon.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
There has been more than one vape shop that I've walked out of without buying anything because of the poor customer service.

I'm fortunate enough to have several really good shops close to me, so I am not forced into doing business with someplace with bad customer service. I've told several store owners and employees that they should get their unemployment paperwork ready because they won't last 6 months with their attitudes. So far, I've been right with one of them at least.

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
I actually went to a local vape shop on Saturday, and the guy was trying to sell me an OCD carto tank claiming that it was from a local glass blower and that it was one of a kind and that's why there were $50-$75 dollars. I had to argue with him that they were from IBTanked, not in GA, and even though they are top grade carto tanks, they were wayyyy over priced. Also they had VTC4 batteries for $30 each. Then, the kid working the counter started trash talking the other 2 B&M's in town. Will never go there again!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Have to remember - it only takes money to open a business. Unfortunately to many unskilled persons will make an attempt at becoming business owners and will eventually fail and shut down.
Sadly others will close for other reasons. Health, excessive competition(good and Bad), regional financial conditions, pure frustration, etc.
A Rare few will learn as they go and become successful, building a good reputation for customer support over time.

Better to explain why you are not buying and leave food for thought than to assure one less business by boycott.
The source you save may be the one you eventually need to depend upon.

Laylel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
Victoria, BC, CA
Then, the kid working the counter started trash talking the other 2 B&M's in town. Will never go there again!
Yeaa, happened to me as well. No service, no knowledge of there's own product, but they knew guy across the street sell crap and known as being very overpriced and customer unfriendly. Also on "high end" with provary in hand topped with protank.

Not sure if guys still in business but from 4 employees only one looked like hi knew what hi was talking about. I loved the girl, who i did asked about some tank, answer was amazing... but it's pink isn't? I was speechless for a minute lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread