Upgrading: Gripper, Groove, or iTaste MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I've been vaping for about three months. I have started with the ego-c upgrades and now have a Vision Spinner. I now want to upgrade to a nice box mod. I originally wanted to get the MVP, but now I've been looking at the Gripper and Groove and have my doubts about which may be best for me. I would like to hear about other peoples experience with these devices, especially people who have owned/used multiple of these. Thanks a lot and vape on!

Matt

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Only have the MVP in a box mod, and it's really well made, smaller than you'd think. Fits well in a shirt pocket. Nice feel in the hand.

I've heard that the Groove is significantly bigger, but haven't actually handled one. It is, however, VV and VW, which the MVP is not (only VV) So if VW is critical to you, then the MVP is off the list. (VW has the potential to be easier if you always vape the same juice at the same wattage, but in different devices whose resistance may vary. VV you might want to adjust the voltage to suit.)

Hope this helps,

Renzuli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
North Las Vegas
Welcome and even though the MVP is only VV , it's much better made than the other choices . Another one to look at , is the Sigelei T-max . Just got one myself . All metal , very heavy , but sturdy . Has both VV , and VW , and gives battery level , and ohm level . It also carries two batteries , one to use , and one for a spare . And it's about the same cost as the other one's your looking at . I got mine from Exhale Vapors for 68.00 Good Luck , in choosing one . Look at my avatar , it's the blue box mod , on the left .

Last edited:

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
Welcome and even though the MVP is only VV , it's much better made than the other choices . Another one to look at , is the Sigelei T-max . Just got one myself . All metal , very heavy , but sturdy . Has both VV , and VW , and gives battery level , and ohm level . It also carries two batteries , one to use , and one for a spare . And it's about the same cost as the other one's your looking at . I got mine from Exhale Vapors for 68.00 Good Luck , in choosing one . Look at my avatar , it's the blue box mod , on the left .

Ah, no:

TMAX ecig Mod Review made by sigelei that FAILED me! - YouTube

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I have a gripper, an itaste and a Tmax. I can't speak to the groove.

Anyhow, I loved the gripper up until I dropped it. It still works ok, but the connection is all crooked and really it just feels like it's about to fall apart. I've had it 6 months.

The T-max is ridiculously heavy and big. It isn't pocketable. I hate it actually and I've only owned it 2 weeks. I wish I hadn't bought it.

The iTaste to me is the best of the ones you've mentioned. For what you get, I think the price is reasonable. Fasttech has them for 49.86 and ivape has them for $55. For that you get two clearos, the taste and the little charging do hicky. You can also charge other electronics with it if you want. It works great and the charge lasts forever. It is pocketable and not too heavy. I would go with the iTaste though I've seen those new metallic grooves and want one but after the tmax fiasco, I'm rethinking.

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
Out of the box mods, the iTaste MVP is still the highest rated, with the original "ego threading" flaw already fixed.

I've had mine for a good week and the only bad thing about it is waiting for it to re-charge after I deplete the battery. Seriously thinking of getting a second one, since the sales keep coming on them. Certainly, I would love to have an OHM reader or have variable wattage as well, but the build quality is exceptional with the iTaste. It's only the size if a pack of cigarette 100's, and isn't very heavy, but it feels sturdy, fits in my hand well and fires perfectly for 2 days before I even see any yellow lights.

I really don't want to have 2 of the same device, and have been looking into the other box mods. I was nearly sold on the TMAX, even though it was bulkier, until Smokey posted that video, and then others chimed in saying that happened to them. The other two are plastic... with plastic buttons...

So if I don't grab a discount Vamo, I will be grabbing a second iTaste in a different color so I don't have any downtime.

stillnotsmoking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
GA, USA
I only have experience with the MVP, but it's a great device. VERY good build quality and long battery life. I get on average 30 hours vape time out of it!!!! It has 510/eGo threading so you can use all your current toppers on it, the 5V/3.5A limit is not an issue for me, YMMV. The MVP is built like a tank yet it's still very pocketable...I carry mine with either a ProTank or large ViVi Nova no problems. It's also nice that if you're just getting into mods you don't have to buy batteries and charger for it.

tbx59

Mar 20, 2013
los angeles
Love the mvp. Hell, it charges by micro usb, so when i'm driving around, I just throw it on my phone charger if I've been using it for a while, works as a pass through. No charging individual batteries, no ego stylecharging inputs, etc. Huge battery, pass through, charge other devices -it is a very nice device and I think it fits nice in the hand, too.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Those should be ok. Just plug the provided multi-cable USB2 connector into one of those, and the micro onto the MVP.

And you can pick up a micro to standard USB coiled cable pretty cheap most anywhere. A bit more convenient for travel, but of course you don't have the multi for use if you want to use the MVP as a charger for, say, your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread