Status
Not open for further replies.

NiNi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Paulden, Arizona
I bred, raised, sold and showed Chinese Silkie Bantam chickens for over 20 years (one of my strange and diverse adventures in life). The "fancy" hadn't been polluted with that "balls to the wall, color of the month club, cross breeding garbage, $1000 chicken" mentality and shipping eggs, chicks, juveniles, and adult birds was still a novelty for most Post Offices. You could send everything next day air and be guaranteed it would get to where it was going in 48 hours. Most shippers knew where the "hubs" where from point A to B, insurance wasn't too much, we all purchased special "live animal" shipping boxes in bulk, and we tracked shipments coming and going........life was GOOD!

1995-2000, enter big investors, USDA, NAIS, and PETA. And the USPS handlers picked and chose which guidelines they were going to go with, and some employees even took it upon themselves to return boxes when they hit the loading docks before being put on a flight, BECAUSE OF THEIR PERSONAL BELIEFS. Putting on a label that said "Hatching Eggs" or "Live Embryos" dropped your chances of an intact box getting to the buyer by 50%. USPS didn't send out memos that stated the weather (usually heat) restricted or closed any hub for receiving live birds, and many times the animals got lost at the transfer points and showed up 4 or 5 days later back at the shippers, dead or half dead.

I received a few packages containing birds, that look like someone had played football with their box, eggs double boxed with 2 inches of Styrofoam surrounding the inner box that had scramble goo dripping out of it. One customer I sent emu eggs to had to go to a Naval Base to pick up a destroyed box because Haz Mat had been called to the Post Office for a suspicious leaking package.......:blink:

I'd go Fed Ex, UPS any day, if they took live animals or their rates had been low enough to send eggs, but it wasn't a choice. The one thing I had going for me was I have no home delivery in this po dunk "town" which is basically a zip code, a post office and 2 gas stations, ALL packages had to be picked up at the post office, so if anything got lost, it was all on USPS.

Between the recession, wondering what hair brained BS PETA was going to pull, whether NAIS was going to be extended with the Patriot Act, again, and the ever increasing costs and growing ineptness of USPS, I called it quits. I have a large menagerie of "lawn ornaments" now, I might turn on my cabinet incubator if someone wants some chicks, cygnets, peafowl or whatever and will drive here to pick up, but the head aches and the return on what I had spent years developing isn't worth the hassle with USPS (or the Gov or special interest groups).

USPS is what it is. We can't change how the USPS conducts their business or the integrity of their employees, up or down the food chain. If you have something expensive being shipped, go for the insurance or go Fed Ex, UPS. Think of it this way: If you had to "ship" your child or dog.........what would you do, yourself, to insure safe delivery and who would you trust?

JMO. I have a great Post Office and all the people who work there are top notch. I have never had an "Issue" with anything I ever shipped or received that was directly or indirectly related to how they handled my mail. :2c:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Delivery times to Canada:
USPS- usually about 15 biz days.
Singapore Post/ Hong Kong: 8-11 biz days.
Just had a delivery last week from the U.S. via Fedex...took a total of 3 biz days.
Last order form the U.S. via USPS. Ordered from a company in Washington (right across the border from British Columbia)...was amazed when I saw it shipped down to the L.A. sort plant. Was delivered in 14 biz days.
I avoid USPS like the plague regardless of the cost.

TruckDrivinMama

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2013
CA, USA
I feel for those of you who've lost packages. I too lost $200 from USPS shipping textbooks and the postmaster sent me a letter saying it was lost 5 months later after I shipped.
But I myself deliver and work for a delivery company. Honestly after working for years inside the building sorting and loading packages, LOTS of packages esp the envelopes and smalls fall below grated floors, into conveyor traps, between cage rails, etc. A handful for broken esp during peak seasons, ie Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mothers Day, summer June July months. Smalls WILL LIKELY get smooshed by 60 lb Thanksgiving wine, Christmas presents, summer mini fridges, weight sets, and BBQ sets. Mind you if you live near industrial complexes, your package may get smooshed by huge barrels of chemicals or heavy bulk boxes. Insure, insure, insure!

Get in touch with your vendor to see if it could get sorted out. If insured, get in touch with USPS but it could take a while. In the end insure EVERYTHING or have your vendor insure it.

Sikkrich

Sep 20, 2013
MA USA
I too was upset with the usps just a few days ago waiting for new setup that said out for delivery. Saw the mailman drive right by my house.:confused:Went out to box, nothing. Checked my tracking again still out for delivery. Half hour later I was outside and decided to take a look again expecting nothing and woohoo it was in the box. We have a new carrier.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
lol.

USPS just lost my Netflix return. Slowing up my DVD rentals (or Netflix is if they are holding it). Am I mad? Well, not happy but overall I gotta say the USPS gang is one of the most under-appreciated groups out there.

There's a reason "going postal" has a slang meaning in this country. The crap they put up with, particularly in the 80's was bad, as "management" was forcing a lot of people out with bad management practices. Most of these guys and gals are hard workers and try their best. I guess some routes are better than others.

I understand why the OP is mad in particular about a $100.00++ order. I think there's recourse, tracking, etc. Please follow up.

I have a ton of respect for all the "shippers" out there...USPS, FedEx and UPS and any others too. It's not an easy job. Those of you out there that work in the industry (and there's a LOT of shipping) have my thanks.

P.S. They are going under due to Congress and e-mail and security costs, not from particularly bad service.

And, no, I don't work in the industry.

TruckDrivinMama

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2013
CA, USA
Thank you all for appreciating the service we do. I dont work for USPS but I deliver for a major carrier in the US.

Big time politics and money hugging within each company are really hurting the service quality of all carriers but all us union brothers and sisters in UPS and USPS (Fedex aint union, dont know about DHL) do our best to deliver. Just to inform you all that LOTS of bean counters in mgmt push us to deliver, sort, load more packages per hour more than a human body is designed to handle. It leads to cramming huge # of packages on conveyers that arent designed to handle the volume leading to broken and lost packages sometimes. Literally I see packages squishing and breaking belts every other morning I walk into my truck. And cramming for what? I hate to say it but its for making more company profit. But I do my best to deliver for my customers. If my junk arrives with a broken case, meh... I dont mind. As long as it actually landed in my hands as a working unit.

Just giving all you out there an inside look and what happens inside. Sorry for the rant. But a reminder again, take those extra 30 seconds to fill out the insurance form everytime you ship. Its worthed. :2cool:

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
That is not my experience. My wonderful USPS carrier is the only one to ring the doorbell. UPS and Fedex drop it and haul .... Notice that I get different service from them than you do. It helps I think if you do things like offer a cold beverage on hot days and do the Christmas gift thing. Remember they don't get tips. But if you cultivate a good relationship then you will get better service. The only time I lost expensive stuff was a private trucking company. They had a TV fall off the truck. To make a blanket statement that USPS sucks is just wrong. Just like for me to say UPS and Fedex suck. It comes down to region and supervisors and moral. It is not as bad as it use to be but do you know where going Postal came from. In the USPS it takes a lot to lose your job. So if they wanted to cut people good or bad they would make their work life miserable. Well I know about that. You need the job/medical coverage/etc. So you put up with it but your motivation suffers. Some went "POSTAL" and went on killing sprees. Even though it is suppose to be better now it is not a easy job. Use rewards not beatings. You'll get better results.

NiNi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Paulden, Arizona
Good lord, what if we still had to count on the Pony Express?:laugh:
I've enjoyed this thread, some of us got things off our chests and learned some things at the same time. If it's really important, insure it! In my case, insurance covered losses I couldn't afford to suck up, granted, if something dies in transit, I couldn't easily replace it, but that was the nature of the business.
To you vapers in the delivery sector, I salute you! It's a tough job and many of you receive undo wrath for something that was entirely out of your hands. That being said, I'd still like to find the individual responsible for the crushed box of emu eggs confiscated by Haz Mat!:glare:

Zinophile

Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
Up in Smoke
Okay folks, I'm going to tell you how it is. It's not a pretty picture. Greedy politicians and incompetent management are responsible for the downfall of USPS. The employees are treated like dirt. This has been going on for decades. There is no respect or dignity for the workforce. As mentioned earlier in this thread "Going Postal" made it into the urban dictionary for good reason. So please stop and think next time you have a issue with USPS. Direct your anger to the root of the problem. The member who suggested offering a cold beverage and tip at Christmas has the right idea. Rewards not beatings. Words of wisdom!

nomeX

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
HTX, USA
We've got a bitter postman that delivers to my complex. He's actually opened one of our packages and hidden the packaging while leaving the poster on our porch during a rainy day. He's folded up a golf disc and shoved it into my mailbox- thank goodness it was champion blizzard plastic! This guy kills my faith in USPS, but you can't really complain, or they start losing bills for you. I have a Provari coming tomorrow, and since it's signature required, I have a feeling he'll find a way to have us "unavailable."

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
That's 'globalisation' knocking on your door - investors expecting a dollar return for every cent they put in, 'streamlining' 'downsizing' everything - except the profit margin. Eventually someone's going to pay the price for it, usually it's the folks on the bottom rungs of the ladder working their behinds off and the customers... Or did you ever hear from some CEO or other 'top manager' foregoing his bonus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread