vamo or mech mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

samturdo

Verified Member
Aug 28, 2014
keyes, ca, usa
for my next battery im undecided if i want this

$26.25 Vamo V5 Variable Voltage/Wattage Mod / APV - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

or this

$17.48 King Style Mechanical Mod - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

as far as i understand regular 510 threaded clearos are fine to use on the mech mod.

all i need to know is, which one will i get the most life out of a stock kanger coil with? not interested in building my own coils.
and are there any downsides to using mech mods with stock coils?

im leaning toward the mech mod, just need to learn some things first.

and just so you guys know, im not going to sub-ohm or do anything dangerous, so im assuming the mech mod will be just as safe as the vamo.

as long as i could get about two weeks out of the stock kanger coil with the mech mod ill be perfectly happy. after that i dont really care how much longer it lasts

i use either 2.0 ohm or 1.8 ohm coils

Last edited:

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
I build coils and as such I am bias against factory made coils. I say that because I personally do not trust premade coils to be safe for a mech. Many people do just that but I'm always wondering if the coil has a short or such that could potentially be an issue on a mech. Don't get me wrong mechs are great and certainly have their place but for your situation I would suggest something regulated. The biggest thing for me, coils aside, is keeping up with bat life. Using a mech with a dead battery is dangerous and while you will develop a sense of when the bat is dying if you are in fact on the new side to vaping I would advise against it. As far as bat life I think that depends on what you would run the Vamo ( or any other regulated mod) at. If you run it at 3.5v then you will get better life with a regulated assuming it down regulates the voltage. I dont know if a vamo does or does not do this.

samturdo

Verified Member
Aug 28, 2014
keyes, ca, usa
I build coils and as such I am bias against factory made coils. I say that because I personally do not trust premade coils to be safe for a mech. Many people do just that but I'm always wondering if the coil has a short or such that could potentially be an issue on a mech. Don't get me wrong mechs are great and certainly have their place but for your situation I would suggest something regulated. The biggest thing for me, coils aside, is keeping up with bat life. Using a mech with a dead battery is dangerous and while you will develop a sense of when the bat is dying if you are in fact on the new side to vaping I would advise against it. As far as bat life I think that depends on what you would run the Vamo ( or any other regulated mod) at. If you run it at 3.5v then you will get better life with a regulated assuming it down regulates the voltage. I dont know if a vamo does or does not do this.

im still fairly new to vaping, been doing it a few months, with egos. what i was wondering about the life of the coil is that i can extend the life of one by at least a week more than with a fixed by starting around 3.4v and eventually ending up around 4.4v and i know you cant do that with a mech. also since mechs start out high and drop as the battery is used im afraid to burn a new coil by starting at more than 3.8v or so

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
for my next battery im undecided if i want this

$26.25 Vamo V5 Variable Voltage/Wattage Mod / APV - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

or this

$17.48 King Style Mechanical Mod - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

as far as i understand regular 510 threaded clearos are fine to use on the mech mod.

all i need to know is, which one will i get the most life out of a stock kanger coil with? not interested in building my own coils.
and are there any downsides to using mech mods with stock coils?

im leaning toward the mech mod, just need to learn some things first.

and just so you guys know, im not going to sub-ohm or do anything dangerous, so im assuming the mech mod will be just as safe as the vamo.

as long as i could get about two weeks out of the stock kanger coil with the mech mod ill be perfectly happy. after that i dont really care how much longer it lasts

i use either 2.0 ohm or 1.8 ohm coils

Well sounds like you already have a regulated mod, so best to now get the mech with a kick;

I got the sigelei kick myself.

That king mod you linked looks like has a kick tube.

As for downside to using the mech mod: well you'd just need to figure out from experience what ohm coil to use, but then if you have a kick it wont matter because you can just adjust the kick

samturdo

Verified Member
Aug 28, 2014
keyes, ca, usa
Well sounds like you already have a regulated mod, so best to now get the mech with a kick;

I got the sigelei kick myself.

That king mod you linked looks like has a kick tube.

As for downside to using the mech mod: well you'd just need to figure out from experience what ohm coil to use, but then if you have a kick it wont matter because you can just adjust the kick

i have an ego twist right now. and whats a kick? and what does it do

eyerhere

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
Warren Mi
If your goin to stay with clearos you should stay with the vamo. It has safety features that a mechanical does not.
The adjustable voltage will help you get the best and most consistant vape from that type of tank.
Also that mech does not come wit a battery or charger, and your going to need a digital multi meter to monitor you battery.

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
If you're used to ego style batteries I'm afraid you'll not like the vamo. Regulated style tube mods all have one thing in common; they are extremely long. Most people refer to them as "light sabers". When I first started, I also wanted something better than an ego and bought an Itaste SVD. I felt ridiculous using it in public so it never left the house. I soon lost interest in it and now, almost a year later it's hardly ever been used.

If you're planning on sticking with clearos, you'd be much better off with the Eleaf Istick. It's small, has more power and options than the vamo, is rechargeable, and it's very inexpensive.

samturdo

Verified Member
Aug 28, 2014
keyes, ca, usa
If you're used to ego style batteries I'm afraid you'll not like the vamo. Regulated style tube mods all have one thing in common; they are extremely long. Most people refer to them as "light sabers". When I first started, I also wanted something better than an ego and bought an Itaste SVD. I felt ridiculous using it in public so it never left the house. I soon lost interest in it and now, almost a year later it's hardly ever been used.

If you're planning on sticking with clearos, you'd be much better off with the Eleaf Istick. It's small, has more power and options than the vamo, is rechargeable, and it's very inexpensive.

from what i can tell you can adjust the length of the vamo to fit different size batteries, i probably wont go with the longer setup

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Edinburg, TX
I'm a vamo owner and I would never buy one again. I like my mechs but you're probably not going to enjoy it until you get into rebuildables or pair it with a kick.

The MVP2 for $10 or $15 more is a much better buy in terms of durability, reliability and power signal output. If you want more power, the istick offers 20 watts for $35 or so.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
i have an ego twist right now. and whats a kick? and what does it do

Well if all you have is an ego twist, then:

1: My first choice would be the vamo.
2: I'd recommend the mech also - meaning as well; and a kick module to go with it.
The mech with the kick would be your backup;
if the kick module goes faulty, you can still just use the mech alone.

The mech has adjustable center pin, plus be more fixable than a regulated mod.

kick module:
$9.07 Authentic Sigelei Variable Wattage Kick Module for Mechanical Mod - 5-15W at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

1670801-3.jpg

samturdo

Verified Member
Aug 28, 2014
keyes, ca, usa
Well if all you have is an ego twist, then:

1: My first choice would be the vamo.
2: I'd recommend the mech also - meaning as well; and a kick module to go with it.
The mech with the kick would be your backup;
if the kick module goes faulty, you can still just use the mech alone.

The mech has adjustable center pin, plus be more fixable than a regulated mod.

kick module:
$9.07 Authentic Sigelei Variable Wattage Kick Module for Mechanical Mod - 5-15W at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

1670801-3.jpg

so basically the kick will turn the mech into a vv mod, so its basically the same thing as a regulated mod, only difference is its cheaper.
correct me if im wrong.

but if im right, i think mech mod with the kick would be the way to go, as long as i can be sure the kick will fit on the mod

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
so basically the kick will turn the mech into a vv mod, so its basically the same thing as a regulated mod, only difference is its cheaper.
correct me if im wrong.

but if im right, i think mech mod with the kick would be the way to go, as long as i can be sure the kick will fit on the mod

a mech with a kick still won't have a screen; if we could get that too, then finally praise the lord we could all just buy our mech of choice, and the manufacturers would be selling us inexpensive kick modules with various features for us to choose from.

Unfortunately it looks like we won't see that for a few years..

===
interesting: I just checked my sigelei kick with 2 stacked 18350's; it works!
They don't mention that in the specs I've seen; so turns out ... well not usefull for most people but it's usefull for me: you don't lost that feature by getting the segelei kick compared to getting a vamo.
(I use a 7.5 volt dc power adapter, so now that I realise a sigelei kick would accept it, it's more incentive for me to make an adapter to use it on a mech instead of relying on a vamo or zmax only)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
the screen isnt important to me, actually i think it makes it look worse. but i just need to be sure that the mod i linked has a kick ring, then i think ill go with that one

Yes it has a kick ring:
1: its the smallest tube on the bottom in the picture.
2: below in the description on the left under "Power & Batteries" it says
MAXIMUM SUPPORTED BATTERY LENGTH 81 MM
thats 65mm + 16mm
65mm for the battery and 15mm for the kick.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Honestly, if you buy the mech, kick, batteries, charger and digital multimeter, you're in for a fair bit of money for your vaping style. Now, if you think you will soon move to a kayfun or other rta, I say go for it.

However, I would rather you got an iStick or mvp. They can also run a single coil rta like a kayfun, but have built in safety features. Kanger coils do short out sometimes. If I saw my resistance rising, I knew it was coming. The istick has the screen so you can easily keep track of what your coil was doing. I have a Rosev2 rta on mine. This morning my vape tasted different. I see my coil dropped from 1.3 ohm to 1.1 ohm. Hmm, 0.1 ohm and I wouldn't think anything of it. 0.2 ohm, I'm a little suspicious. Sure enough, one of the coil screws was a little loose. So, this regulated mod would have protected me had things gone south. AND the screen told me something was going on.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Yes it has a kick ring:
1: its the smallest tube on the bottom in the picture.
2: below in the description on the left under "Power & Batteries" it says
MAXIMUM SUPPORTED BATTERY LENGTH 81 MM
thats 65mm + 16mm
65mm for the battery and 15mm for the kick.

And the screen I didn't mention it for the looks
The thing you lose with a mech is you have no screen that shows you the voltage and ohms.
Most of the modern mods - eg the latest vamos - show the voltage and ohms on the screen without you even having to press a special button to look for them. It's like having a dashboard where you might notice something not quite right during casual operation before something goes very wrong.

stvan1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2014
Grand Rapids MI USA
I have a Vamo 5 from fastech, I paid like $30 for it. It is a fine unit and should last a year or two before it dies. I just bought a 4nine clone, not from fastech, that was a total piece of krap. My Smok Magnetos seem to be holding up so far they are nicely built and from a local B&M. The trouble with getting a mod from fastech is they don't tell you who built it. But they do have a liberal return policy.
But. If you are relatively young and have many years to vape try to save up some money and get a nice unit like a REO or a Provari. Yes you don't have to rebuild to vape a REO, they do have bottom feed cartos you can use. I guess it all depends on how long you are going to be vaping and how serious you are about it, and what you can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread