VG Throat hit -- Not an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

011COACH

Sep 19, 2013
Balkans
So I've been DIY'ing for a few weeks now. And although the general consensus among the vaping community suggests that PG gives "throat hit", while VG gives more "vapor". Anyway, I'm gonna call bull..... I've been mixing 100% VG and VG based nic @ 10mg/ml for over a week now. The only PG or alcohol in my mix is from the flavoring itself. My mixes consist about +/-15% flavor and am getting huge throat hit.

Does my atomizer just kick-..., or is it something else?

Has anyone else had this experience?

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
So I've been DIY'ing for a few weeks now. And although the general consensus among the vaping community suggests that PG gives "throat hit", while VG gives more "vapor". Anyway, I'm gonna call bull..... I've been mixing 100% VG and VG based nic @ 10mg/ml for over a week now. The only PG or alcohol in my mix is from the flavoring itself. My mixes consist about +/-15% flavor and am getting huge throat hit.

Does my atomizer just kick-..., or is it something else?

Has anyone else had this experience?

The lower the NIC and PG levels the lower the throat hit thats a fact. Equipment your using is also a factor and your taste buds are also a factor. To say bull to this is just silly. Your atti could be burnt which also could be mistaken for throat hit. Flavors can also influnce throat hit as well as bad VG.

Last edited:
Well I just tested the 18mg juice (95% VG and 5% distilled water) and it's definitely much more mellow then all of my other juices (which range between 30/70 and 65/35 though they are all 12mg nic).
Next test will be mixing my favourite flavours with no PG. Also note that cartos vs clearos make a huge difference. I've been testing these variations on igo-w with cotton wick.

Addy

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
'LOTS of variables in play!

Some nictotines (PG or VG based) have very strong TH - others have 'not so much'.

Some flavorings have intense TH; others have no TH (or actually seem to lessen it).

Different percentages of flavoring & nicotine (alone or in combination) cause different intensities of irritation (and that's all TH is - plain ole irritation).

Consider the TH of inhaling a burning analog - I light one up every month or two just too remember what smoking really tastes/feels like. Each time I light up, the TH is worse (more intensely irritating) than the time before (and every time I light up analog the more I laugh when I see someone post that a certain flavor 'tastes just like a cig'!). Those that have recently quit typically perceive "adequate TH" quite differently than someone that's been vaping for months/years.

Some people want to keep that same level of TH (and use the various nics, flavorings & PG ratio to keep it strong). Others 'go with the flow' and don't notice it so much; some find the TH to be an irritant that's unhealthy/uncomfortable, and strive to avoid it.

There's the various vape-gear and "temperatures" (wattage, voltage, resistance, air flow, etc) - higher temps = more TH.

The various combinations of all those factors are what people are talking about when talking Throat Hit.

Whew - 'sorry for the lengthly reply. I started typing and my entire "TH knowledge-so-far bucket" just dumped right out! :).

Sadly you are right, although I wish there was a throat hit in a bottle that you can add if you want :).
Last night I tried some blended tobacco mix with 12mg of nic and low PG and OMG the TH was strong. I started coughing badly and I chucked it out as that's just plain nasty. I'm giving up on chasing the correct TH and just gonna enjoy different flavours at 12mg.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Sadly you are right, although I wish there was a throat hit in a bottle that you can add if you want :).

I just recently tried koolata in a few of my mixes and it gave a nice increase on throat hit without the menthol effect. It is used as a cooling additive in mixes but as it has no flavor of it's own it just gives a cooling effect that seems to increase the (or can be precieved as) throat hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread