What makes the throat hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Depending on your unit... good info to know.. all the details!! that aside!

battery power plays a key and strength of nic juice. Battery mods like the SD and the SB.. can run on 3.7 volt and 6 volt... potentially the higher the voltage.. the more kick.

The more strength in nic mg/ml gives you a much better kick.

If you mix your own... using less pg/vg will allow more nic to produce that effect but will not be good for vap production..... so you kinda have to balance that depending on what you want. I like the vap and usually add a little more VG.

my $0.02 worth.. take it for what it is worth to you.. Happy vaping

Tom

CrazyTerrie11

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
W. Valley/Phoenix Arizona USA
Depending on your unit... good info to know.. all the details!! that aside!

battery power plays a key and strength of nic juice. Battery mods like the SD and the SB.. can run on 3.7 volt and 6 volt... potentially the higher the voltage.. the more kick.

The more strength in nic mg/ml gives you a much better kick.

If you mix your own... using less pg/vg will allow more nic to produce that effect but will not be good for vap production..... so you kinda have to balance that depending on what you want. I like the vap and usually add a little more VG.

my $0.02 worth.. take it for what it is worth to you.. Happy vaping

Tom

I vape a Titan Mega 510 so I should be getting a better throat hit but some of my juices I love the flavor of, its just doesnt have that kick that I want.

abhowe

Moved On
Sep 14, 2009
CrazyTerrie..... I used to have a Titan 510 with Mega Batteries....... Those batteries do hardly anything but give you a little more time.....
If you want more vapor and throat hit on your 510, get a USB PassThrough for at home..... When on the go, hook it to a 5.0 volt Pocket Portable Power Device...... I used the Kensington from BestBuy and got good results.......
But if you want great improvement, upgrade to a Mod..... I upgraded to a Silver Bullet 3.7 and 6.0 Mod...... For me the 3.7 was too weak and the 6.0 was too harsh.....
Heard much about the " Sweet Spot " 5.0 volt as being perfect...... So, I got the GLV 5.0 volt Mod..... To me the GLV is the closest thing to a real cigarette......
GG came out with an AFS which allows vaping all day without a refill of fluid......
So, I use my GLV 5.0 at home and I use my GG Transformer when I am on the go...... My batteries last all day and the AFS lasts all day, so I don't have to carry anything extra....

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Abhowe.. nailed it.

510 can produce the affect you are looking for .. and the mega pack is a good step in the right direction. If you are going to go that route.. I would suggest that you get you some HV high mg nic juice. I don't know what mg nic you are using.. say if you are doing 18mg .. then get 36mg HV nic and cut it half and half with the 18. ( Hv does better with battery mods.. but by cutting it- It will work just the same way with the 510)
If you do it this way... you can adjust your throat hit by increasing or decreasing the amount of the none HV juice you use.
Also, you may want to get some glycerine- ( can be found in the bandaid section in the walmart.. this is food grade liquid that is used in most candies and cake decorating products as preservative). When you move into using high mg nic< can be a little bitter. You would have to proctice with the amounts you use to offset the bitterness because glycerine adds in the sweet side and creates a lot of vapor.

hope this helps...
Tom,

CrazyTerrie11

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Abhowe.. nailed it.

510 can produce the affect you are looking for .. and the mega pack is a good step in the right direction. If you are going to go that route.. I would suggest that you get you some HV high mg nic juice. I don't know what mg nic you are using.. say if you are doing 18mg .. then get 36mg HV nic and cut it half and half with the 18. ( Hv does better with battery mods.. but by cutting it- It will work just the same way with the 510)
If you do it this way... you can adjust your throat hit by increasing or decreasing the amount of the none HV juice you use.
Also, you may want to get some glycerine- ( can be found in the bandaid section in the walmart.. this is food grade liquid that is used in most candies and cake decorating products as preservative). When you move into using high mg nic< can be a little bitter. You would have to proctice with the amounts you use to offset the bitterness because glycerine adds in the sweet side and creates a lot of vapor.

hope this helps...
Tom,

thanks for that....it was very helpful ;)

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
CrazyTerrie11,

I am a 510 user exclusively and have been since March. I have of course the stock 510, a 510 on a Pure Smoker Protege that runs at 3.7 volts at 900mAh. I have the Pure Smoker passthrough which runs at 4.2 volts, and the Prodigy which will run at 3.7, 5.0, and 6.0. They all are 510 e-cigs. The same nic juice responds differently at every different voltage. The trick is getting the right mixture to perform the way you want it to at each voltage. My favorite, it's hard to say. They all have their advantages. Sometimes I like the 3.7 for everyday vaping but there are times when 5.0 volts is hard to beat.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

flavapor

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
orlando fl
I have just experimented with trying to get throat hit and the alcohol doesnt do it enough for me without changing the flavor, but what I just found today was taking some juice I mixed up and didnt like that much, it was my attempt at reduced nic tobacco, since zero nic is my goal, anyway, it was pretty bland but lost all the throat hit when I mixed it with plain pg, so I added one seed from a fresh jalapeno pepper to about 1.5ml of juice, let it sit for about an hour and it had a nice throat hit, although when I flooded the atty and got a little juice on my lip it was like eating the frigin thing. You may want to try it, and I wouldnt leave it in the juice as it may get more potent, so keep checking it till its the way you want it.

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
Just what is the analog throat hit we're trying to duplicate?

It is, very simply, the throat's reaction to the alkaloids present in cigarette smoke. You would think that nicotine, representing 90+% of the alkaloid content of analog smoke would provide basically the same throat hit as an analog, but it doesn't. It gives a hit, but it's rather "one dimensional".

Throat hit is not smoke, it's not nicotine, throat hit is nicotine plus a mix of other alkaloids that add up to about a tenth of the nicotine present. That tenth represents a potent bunch of alkaloids as pertains to throat hit.

MHR7331

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
SoCal

It is, very simply, the throat's reaction to the alkaloids present in cigarette smoke. You would think that nicotine, representing 90+% of the alkaloid content of analog smoke would provide basically the same throat hit as an analog, but it doesn't. It gives a hit, but it's rather "one dimensional".

Throat hit is not smoke, it's not nicotine, throat hit is nicotine plus a mix of other alkaloids that add up to about a tenth of the nicotine present. That tenth represents a potent bunch of alkaloids as pertains to throat hit.

Thanks, that's good to know. Just picked up some 60mg and cut it to 42mg because I'm really tired of 24mg pacifier mode... it's definitely more potent, but I was expecting substantial throat hit, and don't feel much difference yet... plain PG with Capella's.

The best throat hit I've gotten (harsh, but not painful) was off good cigars... if anyone finds a way to replicate that via e-cigs, PM ME!!!!!! :lol:

ALUCARD

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Wylie, TX
iphoneism.us
It's a strange thing, recently even my 36mg juice that I got major throat hits off of were doing nothing for me. I found that all it took was a little time not vaping and a dif flavor juice. So now I switch between a couple dif juices instead of just one. Adding a few drops of VG seems to thicken the vapor and increase throat hit a little.

CrazyTerrie11

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009

So let me get this right....its the nic that makes the sensation or not? that sensation you get in your throat kinda like an analog did but not as intense. I have some juice that I dont even know if Im getting any vapor in my mouth until I inhale (cant feel that either) but I do get good vapor. If I up my nic level im going to sacrifice the nice flavor of the juice? What can I add to up the feeling like im actually getting a vapor hit? You said something about alkaloids? Dont know what they are but would like to know if you have time to explain it to me. I would really appreciate that. Thanks for the info....Terrie

CHUCKLEHEAD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Redneck Rivera
3.7v little chuck and some good ole 24mg 555:evil:
DSCN0686.jpg

Ghalenlee

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
Manchester, CT
I've found, ymmv, the colder the liquid, the more "throat hit" I get. The only PV I have is a 401, and I don't like the throat hit, so I have to make sure my liquids are room temperature.

I realized, one cold night, that I had gotten an order and no one had gotten the mail. So I ran out, grabbed the box, ran inside eager to try the new flavor, cut it down to 12 mg like I like, dipped my atty, took a drag and hit the floor coughing and sputtering. Thought maybe it was just this particular liquid, so I put my favorite smooth no throat hit french toast liquid in the fridge for awhile... same thing happened. Just my experience.

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
So let me get this right....its the nic that makes the sensation or not? that sensation you get in your throat kinda like an analog did but not as intense. I have some juice that I dont even know if Im getting any vapor in my mouth until I inhale (cant feel that either) but I do get good vapor. If I up my nic level im going to sacrifice the nice flavor of the juice? What can I add to up the feeling like im actually getting a vapor hit? You said something about alkaloids? Dont know what they are but would like to know if you have time to explain it to me. I would really appreciate that. Thanks for the info....Terrie

I'll give it a try.

Nicotine produces a throat hit, but compared to an analog, it doesn't have quite the right "feel", not the same "tingle and "burn". Alkaloids are simply the psychoactive components of tobacco, possessing alkaline properties due to the way nitrogen is incorporated into the molecules. These alkaloids tend to individually possess a potent taste and smell. When we smoke an analog, all of these alkaloids hit the throat, and collectively are responsible for what we perceive as the throat hit.

Compare the throat hit of an analog versus an e-cig to to a well seasoned soup versus a soup seasoned only with salt. The nicotine is the salt, the fundamental seasoning. It provides much of what is needed, but it can't do the job by itself. It needs some help from other seasonings to provide the rounded flavor that is desired. These other seasonings are the minor alkaloids present in tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread