Not open for further replies.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I have several going strong after 7 years. My REOs and Provaris to name 2.

Heck my original Joyetech Ego kit the batteries were still going up till last year and those were over 7 years old. My Vamo that is just a couple months newer than the Egos still works though one of the extension tubes is stuck so it has to be used in 18650 mode LOL.

1st 2 Joyetech Penguins survived nearly 3 years through multiple drops onto cement. It was the non changeable batteries that finally died on them. Second set is pushing 2 years old now and still going strong.

My original kanger subbox mini worked for nearly 3 years before the 510 connection broke and I am still not certain that wasn't my fault,

I've not had good luck with smok Mods though some of their tanks work well for me.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Clearly, ALL mods aren't made like crap. If they were, there'd be millions of vapers worldwide...complaining on any/every vaping forum about having to constantly replace the ones they've bought.

As others have already posted, I also have various brands of mods (and even 6 year old eGo-T batteries, cigalikes, etc.) that are still working fine, after using them for years now! Some of them have even hit the floor, or been knocked over on a table or desk, etc. numerous times.

Actually, the very few eGo-T batteries or mods that I've ever had die on me since Nov. 2013...were caused by me, not because they were crap!

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I can't remember having a mod fail, but I tend to vape primarily on iStick Picos. My Provari still works after 10+ years. All my iSticks work fine. Rotating mods extends the life of all. I'm a 10W vaper, so I'm not putting a heavy load on any of them.

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
I've had a couple of DOA mods but most by far have lasted 4 plus years with rotation. The older I get though, the less patience I have for regulated mods that read resistances off.
It's mostly DNAs and REOs (thanks @Spydro ) for me now. Next stop Dicodes.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I have a SXmini that is still in service (use everyday) after 6 years.

I'd have to say that most of my mods (out of dozens) work for the long term. Only a handful or less died early deaths and the mods I have are more likely to be taken out of service because I don't like something about them rather than a failure.

These days my vaping costs consist only of purchasing 32oz bottles of VG from Amazon every 6mo or so.

g.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2017
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    Wismec 3 Battery? No good. Breaks within a year without dropping. Replicated on two mods.

Wismec 2/3 mod? Yet again, poor manufacturing. Wires not soldered properly. Almost lasted a year.

Squid Industries Double-Barrel? Craps out after 1 month without any damage. Wont turn on.

GeekVape Aegis Legend? 2 months and not reading the batteries right. Never so much as tipped over on my desk.

SMOK? Had more than I can count or bother to recall the exact models, but every one busted within a year.

None of them seem true to their warranties either. They make it as tedious a process as possible. I haven't tried with the Aegis Legend yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's probably more of the same.

At this point, I am convinced that I have spent more money on mods than I have on juice. These mods are all made like crap. I don't want to spend $80 every few months to get a new mod. I just want to vape for gods sake.

Has anyone had a mod that has lasted them over a year? What kind was it? I've asked this before and that's what led me to the Double-Barrel and the Aegis Legend. Both have failed on me even sooner than my previous attempts.
    Billets last quite awhile. Had a 2016 that is still going.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    At this point, I'd be vaping for free ...... if I'd quit buying chit.

Even my beat up ole Silver Bullet still vapes fine.
    Had my Mako since 2010, and a Provari since 2011.
    A Cacavela that was made in 2012, and even Caravela Chinese made clones that were made in 2014.

Nothing brakes!!! Every mod I've ever bought still works.

Shadav

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    thehelpline.info
    sounds like you've had some bad luck
    I love my aegis legend and it's going strong after a year (closer to 2)

but yeah there's going to be issues or wear and tear
    my istick 20w stopped holding its charge
    my istick 30w the 510 connector went wonky
    evic vtc dual the 510 connector went wonky
    fairly sure the 510 issues were due to a janky rda I was trying to use
    drag nano won't charge or work (fairly sure another pod leaked on it and messed it up)
    asmodus spruzza was defective
    ipv revo is a pos (terrible design overall)
    usv mach on3 works fine but design flaw making a squonker extremely difficult to actually squonk
    capo series any of them (squonker, 216, ect) all suck unless you like hot vapes, they messed up the software so even in soft mode at 8w it's entirely too hot for me while on any other mod I can vape at 20 - 25w just fine...

but my vmod xl from 6 or 7 years ago still works just fine as does heartland defender and lol all of my cig-a-likes and egos which are all a good 8 - 10+ years old
    topside still going strong after 2 years

I mean, unfortunately with any electronic it is going to be hit and miss as there are a number of things that can go wrong with them or wear and tear (drops and spills) or sometimes it's just really a bad idea design flaws

always check out several reviews before buying a mod and even ask here in the forums to get actual end users views....

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    Wismec 3 Battery? No good. Breaks within a year without dropping. Replicated on two mods.

Wismec 2/3 mod? Yet again, poor manufacturing. Wires not soldered properly. Almost lasted a year.

Squid Industries Double-Barrel? Craps out after 1 month without any damage. Wont turn on.

GeekVape Aegis Legend? 2 months and not reading the batteries right. Never so much as tipped over on my desk.

SMOK? Had more than I can count or bother to recall the exact models, but every one busted within a year.

None of them seem true to their warranties either. They make it as tedious a process as possible. I haven't tried with the Aegis Legend yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's probably more of the same.

At this point, I am convinced that I have spent more money on mods than I have on juice. These mods are all made like crap. I don't want to spend $80 every few months to get a new mod. I just want to vape for gods sake.

Has anyone had a mod that has lasted them over a year? What kind was it? I've asked this before and that's what led me to the Double-Barrel and the Aegis Legend. Both have failed on me even sooner than my previous attempts.
    Sorry to hear you've had such bad luck.

I've had multi year success with Vaporesso and Aspire devices and most have taken multiple hard drops. For me, the Wismec/Joyetech/Eleaf conglomerate devices have held up pretty well. My more recent Smok device, the Procolor, has been OK so far too. My devices get some physical abuse but they don't sport leaky toppers and are typically used in a lower wattage MTL manner.

I'd recommend looking into Vaporesso devices as a solid choice with Aspire a close second. Many here like Innokin but I haven't gotten any of their newer models for a couple years.

For the sub-$100 regulated mod market I consider a year of all day use or about 100k puffs to be a reasonable lifespan, with two years being excellent. Although the build quality can be better on some more costly regulated devices longevity's never a sure thing.

Even if a $50 mod only lasts six months, that's only $8.33 a month. Better to get a couple decent mods on sale in the $20-50 range and adjust one's expectations in my opinion.

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 1, 2013
    Salem, OR
    We seem to get posts like this every now and then and I'm always puzzled. I've been vaping for 8+ years and the only mods I've ever had die were internal battery mods. And it wasn't because they were badly built. The battery just eventually gave out, which is to be expected. And I don't buy expensive mods. I have plenty of Wismecs, picos, isticks, kangers and others that are still going strong after several years. My old Vamo v2s even work to this day. So I would suggest that it may not be the quality of the mods that is the problem.

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    We seem to get posts like this every now and then and I'm always puzzled. I've been vaping for 8+ years and the only mods I've ever had die were internal battery mods. And it wasn't because they were badly built. The battery just eventually gave out, which is to be expected. And I don't buy expensive mods. I have plenty of Wismecs, picos, isticks, kangers and others that are still going strong after several years. My old Vamo v2s even work to this day. So I would suggest that it may not be the quality of the mods that is the problem.

I do think different styles of vaping can affect mod longevity. When one is regularly removing a tight cap on a dripper or torquing down toppers there's more stress on the 510 connector. Some toppers leak into mods and shorten their life. Perhaps using devices near their power limits taxes the board and connections.

Of course, some are just crappy designs or executions. Fortunately, most of those can be avoided by reading here!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada

Sorry to hear you've had bad luck with mods @lostbladder. I had a few disappointments early in my vape journey, but after that it's been pretty good for me.

Disappointments were eGo batteries (but they were cheap), a couple of Vamo's, a Vapor Shark DNA 40 and a couple of others.

Good experiences were from a Nemisis clone (also a while back but still perfectly capable after about 7 years), Wismec RX 200's, Kanger K-Box, a Reosmod squonker and lately a herd of Pico 75 watt mods and likely a few more I can't recall at the moment. These mods have all lasted me way longer than a year and some of them went three before I retired them to the apocalypse stash box.

I do my due diligence before I buy a mod or an atomizer and I think that helps a lot. It also helps to do regular maintenance to these puppies to keep them happy.

Best of luck on your vape journey :thumb:

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 26, 2010
    Florida Keys
    I still have 2 Provari’s. My Reo since 2012 kicked the bucket last year. If Reos Mods was still in business. It would be an easy fix. I was blessed, and bought a practically brand new Reo from @Slots. I’ve had so many mods break on me as well. I also own a L’Octopus that should last a lifetime. All it would need are o-rings to be replaced. Mechanicals are the way to go for me.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Pico.

full

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Perhaps using devices near their power limits taxes the board and connections.

I agree. That and charging batteries inside the mod. I think there's a reason why almost none of the mainstream mods ever mention anything about how great the charging circuitry is in their marketing. I know I killed at least one mod charging via it's USB but probably 2.

And I would also add that you never want to vape while charging in the mod. The only company I half-trust with that is Innokin. If Innokin says you can vape a specific model while charging, then I trust it really is designed for that.

Last edited:

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 26, 2010
    Florida Keys
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread