Not open for further replies.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Well, I'm not ......ed, Daniel. So, there must be either some trick I don't know, or they are using a smaller battery than I am.

The battery connectors do loosen up in the Colossal after a while. But until then flip the mod upside down. While pushing down against the negative connector - use a fingernail or thin strip of blunt plastic on the positive part of the battery to lever it out.

Something the thickness of a credit card works well :thumbs:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I have a mod where the battery negative contact spring is tight like the colossal. I just use a 3-4 inch piece of thin but durable ribbon under the battery as a battery-puller-outter (lol). Every time I put a battery in I put the thin ribbon around it with the 2 ends sticking up. Then when the battery needs to be taken out, I just grab the 2 ribbon ends and pull the battery out.

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    The rest of the collection is in my Vapeapocalypse box. :)

I like that name. :thumbs: My retired vape gear/vape supply boxes would just about fill the bed of my pickup truck.

None of my mods ever stopped working. In part maybe because I retired so many of them soon after I bought them when they didn't live up to the hype or my expectations. So all my certified as pure "KRAP" mods and atty's were branded as new pure crap the day that they were delivered to me. Krap in the sense that they were very poorly made, were krap in design or they leaked. One that stands out in my memory is a couple of iJoy Capo Squonkers I bought that would have been over priced at $1 with free shipping. I think more juice continually leaked out of them from brand new right out of the box than was actually vaped by them.

9067705-7.jpg

• Informative
    Reactions: HigherStateD

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    So, there must be either some trick I don't know, or they are using a smaller battery than I am.

Colossals are shorter than other 18650 mods and the battery insertion is tricky. Not my favorite mod, frankly. I also dislike that concave fire button. Colossal just doesn't fit in my hand comfortably. My Tribaut is very comfy, but the battery cap at the bottom is weird also. I know that Asmodus makes good mods, but they are not my cup of tea. I much prefer the Solos--simple, no fuss, reliable and extremely comfy--in my hand. YMMV, as always.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Colossals are shorter than other 18650 mods and the battery insertion is tricky. Not my favorite mod, frankly. I also dislike that concave fire button. Colossal just doesn't fit in my hand comfortably. My Tribaut is very comfy, but the battery cap at the bottom is weird also. I know that Asmodus makes good mods, but they are not my cup of tea. I much prefer the Solos--simple, no fuss, reliable and extremely comfy--in my hand. YMMV, as always.

I got 2 Colossal. The first one there was no way I could get the battery out with my fingers. I used the side of the battery door as a lever. Problem being the negative spring was way overpowered with a tiny amount of movement and there was no way to adjust it, and you couldn't get much of a grip on the battery. The second one I got was fine. I wondered if they got a lot of complaints and changed the spring or the adjustment. Or maybe it was just chance. From what was posted here some were super tight and some were fine.

If you have one of the dodgy ones there's a way to fix it. Cut back the plastic ring around the positive terminal and you can slide the positive end of the battery out first.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    The first one there was no way I could get the battery out with my fingers. I used the side of the battery door as a lever. Problem being the negative spring was way overpowered with a tiny amount of movement and there was no way to adjust it, and you couldn't get much of a grip on the battery.

Yup, I got one of those. But that spring eventually loosened enough that now I can insert a battery without much of a struggle.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Everyone's has their terrible mod stories??? But Ijoy..... I have literally NEVER heard a good thing said about them. I even won (a couple) to add insult to injury.... I IMMEDIATELY PIF'd BOHT of them (thank God they were not squonkers) because I could TELL I would destroy them almost immediately. Even the husband decided he hated it (as a heater for something else) and returned it to me.

Is they are cheap, is that what it is? Are they like a BT plant company to make NEW VAPERS think vaping SUCKS?

Because the two folks actually loathed them so much,,... they returned them to me!!!! I CANNOT GIVE THEM AWAY!!

Oh golly I CAN (because I have an imagination) consider like worse things than dying of radiation sickness, very slowly, going insane and vaping my IJOY vape........... But it is UP THERE on the horror show scale.

I mean it's like they should have been called "I Kill All Your Joy" and BT marketing got ahold of it, and said, "We can do better... I-JOY!!!!!!!"

I don't understand why they exist to be honest.

Anna

Reactions: Falconeer

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Are they like a BT plant company to make NEW VAPERS think vaping SUCKS?

LOL. Yeah, I've never heard anything good about iJoy mods and for the most part they look to blingy for my taste.

They even made a mod that takes a 20350 or 21350 battery, whatever. They had to give you the battery with the mod because you'll never find that size anywhere on the consumer market. lol I guess it was their attempt to make people beholden to their off-size batteries. lol It was a failure, of course.

But I have a couple of their tanks and so far they seem to be great and the RBAs that fit them are well made, too.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    But I have a couple of their tanks and so far they seem to be great and the RBAs that fit them are well made, too.

New horror story, sitting in my bomb shelter dying of radiation sickness because I only have a broken set of IJOY mods and KNOWING the tank was great and/or a fully functioning Ijoy mod with a dead battery that is shaped like a lamp-post.

It's so good to know it can always get worse. :lol::lol::lol:

If only my first novel had been non-autobiographical and instead the dark, dystopian tragedies I now want to write.

You'd think Stephen King would be a poorly adjusted individual but I hear he got his start in horror story writing by telling his kids nightmares, I mean bedtime stories. So he says.

I now no longer wonder about Stephen King's mindset I wonder about his KIDS I mean what age do you start out with "The Stand, Unabridged Edition."

IDK. That's a real shame to know about the tanks although they are at least non-proprietary, at least outside of of my bunker they seem to be.

Anna

Here's a thought experiment. If you had traditional nicotine replacement but not enough to stave

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    An excellent question. Why are there so few truly high quality products out there?

Truly high quality products are relatively quite expensive. Not many people are willing to pay that price, even considering the quality. There is a risk/benefit analysis involved too. Think of how much you would be willing to pay for your hip replacement experience vs your vape experience.

Stuff that is good enough so most interested people are willing to pay for it can be 'not really good quality stuff, but not too shabby', cost significantly less upfront, and because a lot more people will buy it that makes it even less expensive. And if someone knows what they are buying this route can be less expensive in the long run and also result in a better experience in the long run.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Why are there so few truly high quality products out there?

Because vaping technology is constantly changing. Everything becomes obsolete very fast. I bought a $200 ProVari vv mod that was not only high quality and American made, but also the best mod on the market at the time. A year later I bought a 30-dollar iStick 30W box mod, which offered variable wattage, much improved user interface and better ergonomics. I instantly retired my luxury ProVari and bought another iStick. ;)

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Wismec 3 Battery? No good. Breaks within a year without dropping. Replicated on two mods.

Wismec 2/3 mod? Yet again, poor manufacturing. Wires not soldered properly. Almost lasted a year.

Squid Industries Double-Barrel? Craps out after 1 month without any damage. Wont turn on.

GeekVape Aegis Legend? 2 months and not reading the batteries right. Never so much as tipped over on my desk.

SMOK? Had more than I can count or bother to recall the exact models, but every one busted within a year.

None of them seem true to their warranties either. They make it as tedious a process as possible. I haven't tried with the Aegis Legend yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's probably more of the same.

At this point, I am convinced that I have spent more money on mods than I have on juice. These mods are all made like crap. I don't want to spend $80 every few months to get a new mod. I just want to vape for gods sake.

Has anyone had a mod that has lasted them over a year? What kind was it? I've asked this before and that's what led me to the Double-Barrel and the Aegis Legend. Both have failed on me even sooner than my previous attempts.

Well, I have a cloupor mini + that has seen some heavy abuse.. kinda still works, but sometimes I hear a whine and it doesn't fire... I am guessing a capacitor is going.

Which brings me to the point of my post... Any regulated mod will fail at some time in it's life. Electronics don't last forever. And judging how people try to squeeze amps out of batteries in a very timely manner, I am sure those electronics are running at their max capacity. Older, larger mods tended to last longer than most of the newer mods... but the newer mods pump out more amperage. I've had a Sigeli 100 last a few years, as well as one of the first gen Wismec Releaux which is quite battered, but still running. My current go-to is over a year old, being used as my almost exclusive daily vape.. it's the Smoant Cylon. Just recently, the screen developed lines. I have a new screen coming in tomorrow.

As far as taking care of the mod, I have come to the conclusion that a Kepler heat sink dramatically lengthens the life of the mod. One of the biggest points of failure I've had was the spring loaded part of the 510.. that tends to let juice seep into the electronics. Since I've started using kepler heat sinks on all my mods, I have developed NO issues with that. I think juice seepage was the cause of most of my problems, even though it's not immediately noticable. It's like after I started using them, my mods now last.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    As far as taking care of the mod, I have come to the conclusion that a Kepler heat sink dramatically lengthens the life of the mod. One of the biggest points of failure I've had was the spring loaded part of the 510.. that tends to let juice seep into the electronics. Since I've started using kepler heat sinks on all my mods, I have developed NO issues with that. I think juice seepage was the cause of most of my problems, even though it's not immediately noticeable. It's like after I started using them, my mods now last.

I use heat sinks too, but not everyone is willing to add an additional 7mm to the height of their atty.

Those Kepler heat sinks are the best because of the adjustable top and bottom pin. I have many in 22 and 19mm. Unfortunately they either went out of business, no longer make heat sinks or Fasttech just decided not to carry them anymore (doubtful because they were very popular). :(

My regret is that I never bought any of the 25mm Keplers because I never thought I'd buy an atty over 22mm. :D The non-Kepler 25mm heat sinks I bought all have a copper pin that's way too long so I have to remove them and grind them down. Once you remove the pin, it's a gamble as to whether they will fit tight enough when put back in the heat sink. :( If left alone, these long pins create a gap, at least on the ones I've bought.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Wismec 3 Battery? No good. Breaks within a year without dropping. Replicated on two mods.

Wismec 2/3 mod? Yet again, poor manufacturing. Wires not soldered properly. Almost lasted a year.

Squid Industries Double-Barrel? Craps out after 1 month without any damage. Wont turn on.

GeekVape Aegis Legend? 2 months and not reading the batteries right. Never so much as tipped over on my desk.

SMOK? Had more than I can count or bother to recall the exact models, but every one busted within a year.

None of them seem true to their warranties either. They make it as tedious a process as possible. I haven't tried with the Aegis Legend yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's probably more of the same.

At this point, I am convinced that I have spent more money on mods than I have on juice. These mods are all made like crap. I don't want to spend $80 every few months to get a new mod. I just want to vape for gods sake.

Has anyone had a mod that has lasted them over a year? What kind was it? I've asked this before and that's what led me to the Double-Barrel and the Aegis Legend. Both have failed on me even sooner than my previous attempts.

Therefore in summary, there are plenty of good mods on the market that have the capacity to last in excess of a year.

The issue your facing, apparently is that you want to walk around carrying a battery pack, instead of a mod and there were fewer of those made so less choice.

In the 2 battery realm, there is plenty. I have a Topside dual that lasted me a full year of daily use before I lost the stupid thing... still upset I lost it.

Figure I'll find it now that I've replaced it with a new one... lol.

I have a 2 battery Uwell Crown mod that I've had set up a year, but I don't give it as much love as I do the topside... plus the bottom is more rounded so it topples over at the slightest bump. But despite falling over on a regular basis it manages to be like a Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

I've had far more positive experiences than negative. I've had one mod break and one mod that was DOA, but that was it. Even my son's Wismec I purchased for him on clearance for 20 dollars lasted him 3 years of daily use before the screen went, but even it still vapes, you just can't see the screen...

While my son's wismec might be luck, it's not all luck..

Mainly it's a matter of paying attention to the experiences of others, and buying on sales so even if I don't particularly care for a mod I won't feel I'm out much...

Sales are cool... I bought 2 Jackaroo kits for under 20 each, 2 Asmodus Colossals for about 15 each, etc etc etc. While sales like that might go the way of the dinosaur due to regulations, for the last couple years you've not needed to spend 80 dollars for a mod either with few exceptions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread