Why Are All Mods Made Like Crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostbladder

Jul 3, 2020
Wismec 3 Battery? No good. Breaks within a year without dropping. Replicated on two mods.

Wismec 2/3 mod? Yet again, poor manufacturing. Wires not soldered properly. Almost lasted a year.

Squid Industries Double-Barrel? Craps out after 1 month without any damage. Wont turn on.

GeekVape Aegis Legend? 2 months and not reading the batteries right. Never so much as tipped over on my desk.

smok? Had more than I can count or bother to recall the exact models, but every one busted within a year.

None of them seem true to their warranties either. They make it as tedious a process as possible. I haven't tried with the Aegis Legend yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's probably more of the same.

At this point, I am convinced that I have spent more money on mods than I have on juice. These mods are all made like crap. I don't want to spend $80 every few months to get a new mod. I just want to vape for gods sake.

Has anyone had a mod that has lasted them over a year? What kind was it? I've asked this before and that's what led me to the Double-Barrel and the Aegis Legend. Both have failed on me even sooner than my previous attempts.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Has anyone had a mod that has lasted them over a year? What kind was it? I've asked this before and that's what led me to the Double-Barrel and the Aegis Legend. Both have failed on me even sooner than my previous attempts.

I've never had a bad mod in 10 years of vaping. Maybe I'm just lucky. I wish some of those old ones would die as I don't like them anymore--not happening. ;)

From cigalikes, MVPs,, eGos, ProVari, VF Flask, VaporFi V-Grip, Defender, Kanger, Wismec Presa, Pico, Evic Primo mini, various Eleaf iSticks, Asmodus, Geekvape Solos... They are all alive and well.

Last edited:

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
I disagree with the premise. Not all mods are made like crap. But there is stiff competition, poor workmanship and quality control, with a mad rush to market, made in countries without regulations.

Now, I have this aspire mini pegasus. Simple mod I vape at about 13w into a naughty mini or the mini triton, using the same coils. And I have a eleaf pico mega that uses 26650s.

All are at least 4 years old. And both used daily. OK, the pegasus looks really worn, scratches and the plastic screen covering is dented. The tank still looks great, btw. The pico mega fire button is worn (plated plastic) but with a jwrap, it looks good.

But a mistake with the 26650s. I'd be happier just staying with the 18650s. For the size and weight, you'd think they would last a long time, but no.

But both function great, threads still good, all functions work. I only charge bats in the mod in a desperate situation, maybe once a year?

I did have a pico mega fail after a horrid tank leak.

YMMV.

(this from a guy with a pair of 25+ year old Volvo 940s, 300,000 miles each. Buy good crap, take care of it, and don't beat it)

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
We seem to get posts like this every now and then and I'm always puzzled. I've been vaping for 8+ years and the only mods I've ever had die were internal battery mods. And it wasn't because they were badly built. The battery just eventually gave out, which is to be expected. And I don't buy expensive mods. I have plenty of Wismecs, picos, isticks, kangers and others that are still going strong after several years. My old Vamo v2s even work to this day. So I would suggest that it may not be the quality of the mods that is the problem.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
I've got small hands.
We seem to get posts like this every now and then and I'm always puzzled. I've been vaping for 8+ years and the only mods I've ever had die were internal battery mods. And it wasn't because they were badly built. The battery just eventually gave out, which is to be expected. And I don't buy expensive mods. I have plenty of Wismecs, picos, isticks, kangers and others that are still going strong after several years. My old Vamo v2s even work to this day. So I would suggest that it may not be the quality of the mods that is the problem.

And oddly in posts like these the person has never dropped any mods, with the only accident being the mod fell over on it's side.

I, on the other hand, have accidentally booted, slapped mods off tables, kicked one off of the third floor of a parking garage while drunk after watching the GoGos farewell tour, and they all still work.

Last edited:

RichardV

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
The Golden Isles of Georgia, USA
I still use a Smok AL85 that I bought over 3 years ago and a Smoant Battlestar almost as old, both have almost all the paint worn off. Of the numerous mods that I have bought only 2 have died, a laisimo Spring and a Famovape Magma. I have many Smok, GeekVape, Vandy Vape, Wismec, Smoant, Teslacigs, Wotofo, ect. that are holding up well (my Daughter will inherit a gold mine when i pass). I have at least 4 in a rotation on a daily basis vaping over 30ml a day.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City

I do think different styles of vaping can affect mod longevity. When one is regularly removing a tight cap on a dripper or torquing down toppers there's more stress on the 510 connector. Some toppers leak into mods and shorten their life. Perhaps using devices near their power limits taxes the board and connections.

Of course, some are just crappy designs or executions. Fortunately, most of those can be avoided by reading here!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Why are there so few truly high quality products out there?

Because vaping technology is constantly changing. Everything becomes obsolete very fast. I bought a $200 ProVari vv mod that was not only high quality and American made, but also the best mod on the market at the time. A year later I bought a 30-dollar iStick 30W box mod, which offered variable wattage, much improved user interface and better ergonomics. I instantly retired my luxury ProVari and bought another iStick. ;)

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
They're not all bad - this Old Stager will be five years old if it makes it to the 17th of November. It's had hard use, travelled half way round the world and as you can see by the scratches discolouration etc it's the one I grab whenever there's work to be done.

MOD.jpg

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have yet to attempt to vape my new Lost Vape Centurion (which I remain glad I have bought) but to be fair to my mods a LOT of them have lasted/are still lasting way longer than I deserve although I drop and knock them over more than they deserve....

For me, anything Joyetech yeah forget it. Mods too not just the dang CLR tanks.

Funnily enough, Eleaf (which is like that step up in cars but same manufacturer) all their stuff has been super great. The CORRECT Asmodus mods work in a lovely manner. I've had a few die on me but to be fair, I bet if I could replace all the magnets they'd be fine (source for magnets welcomed here.)

My MPV 5 has been ROCK solid and most things I have gotten from Innoken work fantastic. I did manage to break a Zenith tank I have NO CLUE HOW. I have found however, in general, for me, stainless steel tanks are best. IDK what it is about paint but it does not do me right. I think the Zenith was red or something.

My Siren V2s have stuck with me through thick and thin, and I love them (first tank I really got up and working as an RTA.) You have to wick them right and you have to pick bold flavors and clean them 5x as long as any other tank they come covered in machine oil, god ESPECIALLY the gun metal. I had to find these things out, but it is fun doing so. The right juice for your RTA can make all the difference. If you put an elderflower/violet mix in there, you and your Siren V2 are NOT gonna have a good time. ALSO, ,maybe I am biased because they were the first RTA that worked for me. I consider them underrated an I always have ONE going with a black and Jasmine tea with a bit of condensed milk and one drop of sucralose per 30 mg. Shake and vape. dead easy simple mix and it is GOOD.

You have to find your vapes. Jaq.Asmodus, Vapresso (CONTINUALLY upping its game right when it's a PIA) but those are awesome.

I am a huge fan of Fumytech/Rose V3 and _Precisio BDVape they are my rock solid flavor monsters but you have to know how to build them for MTL. The Rose 3 gets a diagonal single coil I have no need to put 2 coils in there, and it's a perfect MTL vape. I'd love try one of their mods, but talk about PRICY. LOL.

I would love to have more Dani boxes and maybe one day. But I do have more than many folks and I am grateful. They are AWESOME.

Vandy Vape consistently good (For me)
Geek vape consistently good (for me)
Tesla Cigs good except for the punk ah tube mod they made which died so quickly and suddenly, well I was literally disassembling it as it sort of self destructed hoping I could reach the battery before it blew up. There was no warrantying that sucker, I mean it looked like someone took a hammer to it. I replaced it and it has been fine. but tube mods have NOT been my best bets for longevity. They just aren't. Doggy style clones of all types have been my pals. Always have at least one Nature True going at one time.

Tanks especially bubble tanks have greatly benefited from my hair tie addiction. I think they work better than vape bands because you can stretch them in this webbed pattern that is more protective.

I got issues which are FINALLY improving I just rewicked 10 tanks. In the beginning, that would have been insanity but now my fine motor tremor has been treated it is SO much easier. I do have peripheral neuropathy (probably from Lithium although smoking did not help.) I still drop things but knowing and having spares of vapes and tanks I KNOW I can count on has been, well, priceless.

It actually is true IMHO you get what you pay for. I paid more but have not had to replace anything in probably a year. Tried new things sure, but the vapes I plucked from the lineup will retirn.. Frankly, to me it's worth it to know my mods can handle my somewhat abusive behavior.

Maybe one day there will be a DV group for mods, and Joyetech and I can make our peace. LOL

Anna

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    To the OP, I'd have to say that ether you have very bad luck or pick really crappy devices to purchase.

I offer the following for an example:
    50417813906_eb80b65b8b_c.jpg

an SX-Mini (Powered by the SX350Jv1) purchased nearly 6yrs ago for ~$200. While these days it spends most if not all of its time powering my only RDA which serves as my DIY flavored juice testing platform it has served me well over its life span and I think I've gotten my monies worth out of it long ago.

g.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Wismec 3 Battery? No good. Breaks within a year without dropping. Replicated on two mods.

Wismec 2/3 mod? Yet again, poor manufacturing. Wires not soldered properly. Almost lasted a year.

Squid Industries Double-Barrel? Craps out after 1 month without any damage. Wont turn on.

GeekVape Aegis Legend? 2 months and not reading the batteries right. Never so much as tipped over on my desk.

SMOK? Had more than I can count or bother to recall the exact models, but every one busted within a year.

None of them seem true to their warranties either. They make it as tedious a process as possible. I haven't tried with the Aegis Legend yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's probably more of the same.

At this point, I am convinced that I have spent more money on mods than I have on juice. These mods are all made like crap. I don't want to spend $80 every few months to get a new mod. I just want to vape for gods sake.

Therefore in summary, there are plenty of good mods on the market that have the capacity to last in excess of a year.

The issue your facing, apparently is that you want to walk around carrying a battery pack, instead of a mod and there were fewer of those made so less choice.

In the 2 battery realm, there is plenty. I have a Topside dual that lasted me a full year of daily use before I lost the stupid thing... still upset I lost it.

Figure I'll find it now that I've replaced it with a new one... lol.

I have a 2 battery Uwell Crown mod that I've had set up a year, but I don't give it as much love as I do the topside... plus the bottom is more rounded so it topples over at the slightest bump. But despite falling over on a regular basis it manages to be like a Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

I've had far more positive experiences than negative. I've had one mod break and one mod that was DOA, but that was it. Even my son's Wismec I purchased for him on clearance for 20 dollars lasted him 3 years of daily use before the screen went, but even it still vapes, you just can't see the screen...

While my son's wismec might be luck, it's not all luck..

Mainly it's a matter of paying attention to the experiences of others, and buying on sales so even if I don't particularly care for a mod I won't feel I'm out much...

Sales are cool... I bought 2 Jackaroo kits for under 20 each, 2 Asmodus Colossals for about 15 each, etc etc etc. While sales like that might go the way of the dinosaur due to regulations, for the last couple years you've not needed to spend 80 dollars for a mod either with few exceptions.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    But a mistake with the 26650s. I'd be happier just staying with the 18650s. For the size and weight, you'd think they would last a long time, but no.

I use the Pico Mega with 26650 Hohm Tech batts and they last me almost 2 full days at 15-18W.

I actually dropped it on concrete one day when I took it outside. Was a pretty hard fall and I didn't expect it would make it. But sure enough, it's chuggin' along. Only got a small nick on the body at the point of impact. The paint's pretty solid. Didn't chip or anything. Just a little nick on the paint. Not even a dent.

I agree, it's a bit heavy and somewhat awkward, I only got it because it was on clearance. Actually I got several. lol For me, it's almost strictly a desk mod. I only got them recently (about 7 months ago) and if they last as long as my Pico 75W mods have so far, I'll be very happy with them for the price I paid.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread