You must be kidding!! (My Very First DIY Attempt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Well gosh darn, that was STOOPID easy.
Just whipped up my first ever DIY juice, and while it ain't gonna win any awards, I am happily vaping away.
I've bought worse, that's for sure!

I only got a COUPLE start up flavors - but now that I know this is totally do-able, I'll be doing some shopping!!

Mostly, I lean towards an ADV that's a mild tobacco with a bit of sweet (see below).

But I also want to try a couple "fruity" concoctions - I've only found a couple I like, and they tend to be based on just a couple flavors, but I'm open to suggestion, if you've ever tasted these and have a recommended DIY recipe.
Nicquid "StrawNana Smoothie" is surprisingly in my regular rotation, and I recently blasted through a bottle of GoodLife's "Red-Headed ...." (which I bought because of the name :)). Supposedly, that's cranberry & peach, but I really couldn't tell while vaping what the combo was...but I liked it.

Here was my very first ever juice recipe:
3.75 ml of 48 mg/ml VG Nic base
4.75 ml PG
1.5 ml TFA Double RY4
2 drops TFA Bavarian Cream just for fun

Results in 10 ml at 18mg/ml (62.5% PG / 37.5% VG)
(that's a little thicker than I expected it to be)

I let it steep for about 5 minutes. LOL.

Chas_L

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2013
Buchanan Ga
Perhaps try TFA Black Honey Tobacco one of my favorites and there is a Thread on this flavor here. I use 10% ,some use less and some use more. It is better after steeping for several weeks or more ,some say best after five weeks.

I use TFA RY4 at 4% and notice you use the RY4 double at 15% but everyones taste if different. One great thing about DIY is you can adjust flavor to taste.

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
Want some easy to make tobacco flavors, get some Hangsen flavors. Their manufacturing site is state of the art and produce excellent flavors. You can make them as stand alone or in a mix. Read through the "Hangsen Flavor" thread and you'll see what I mean. Congrats and Good Luck. Also, RTS Vapes sells Hangsen in 10ml glass bottles. They also give a 20% discount to first time buyers of their Nicotine Base.

deboraht

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2013
USA
I am having success too, a little tweaking with PG/VG levels and learning about the flavor % for different brands.

I need higher VG, so since nic is in PG I am learning not to add anymore PG.

Tweaking away, the good thing is that you can keep perfecting it yourself, a bit like cooking really! No complaints, no returns..and $2 a bottle who can complain?

Knosis

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2013
CA
I am having success too, a little tweaking with PG/VG levels and learning about the flavor % for different brands.

I need higher VG, so since nic is in PG I am learning not to add anymore PG.

Tweaking away, the good thing is that you can keep perfecting it yourself, a bit like cooking really! No complaints, no returns..and $2 a bottle who can complain?

Seriously! :vapor: I was paying $15 at a local B&M for 10 ml.

Congrats to the OP! :toast:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Yeah, my ROUGH estimate is that without even trying, the material cost of my DIY would be about $3.25 for 30 mls - INCLUDING a new bottle, which of course won't always be needed - just being "fair" to compare to the cost of commercial juice which comes in a bottle.

Seriously! :vapor: I was paying $15 at a local B&M for 10 ml.

Congrats to the OP! :toast:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I'm liking the eJuiceMeUp calculator.

You could do the math yourself, but this thing is well-designed, and makes it SUPER easy to "fiddle" with a recipe, and see "what happens to my PG/VG ratio if I just up the flavoring 2%", etc. And when you land on a recipe you like, just like you'd intuitively expect, you can name and save the file.

And while it's easy to use, it's also capable of handling weird situations, like "I have 10 mls left of 48 mg nic in VG, and the new bottle is 100 mg nic in PG. How do I reach an 18 mg mix at 70/30 with 15% flavoring?". LOL. I COULD do that in my head, maybe, but I don't WANT to.

Well it's a relief to hear that it's so easy as I am going to be starting myself soon and I think I am overthinking formulas and equations way more than I should.
:) Good luck! I've already been mixing pre-made liquids so I know that I will be a major chemist when it comes to mixing my own.

Last edited:

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
Yeah, my ROUGH estimate is that without even trying, the material cost of my DIY would be about $3.25 for 30 mls - INCLUDING a new bottle, which of course won't always be needed - just being "fair" to compare to the cost of commercial juice which comes in a bottle.

for .91 cents I can make a 30ml bottle of unflavored eliquid. just pg vg and nic. it is much better than it sounds. it's good for those times you want to change flavors. it is naturally sweet with great TH. and, the amazing part is it will not clog your coil. its flavoring that clogs up. a couple times I've used the same cart for over four months and it still worked as well as the first day I filled it. its also handy to have around when you want to make sure you have something that will not fail.

Hoofhearted62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
South Park, Pa. USA
my very first diy was a complete disaster and a resounding success.. I did an apple pie flavor but added too much cinnamon. it never tasted like apple pie but was the best cinnamon flavor i've ever had. I tastes exactly like Mister-E liquid Napalm. which i have some of and compared side by side. exact.

even a mistake can turn out great.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Not the cheapest way but another option is getting some pre-mixed custom flavor blend from a vendor like mom and pops or MBV. It's good for practicing the mixing process.

I bought 4 premixed flaves from mom and pops and really love the tobacco haze. I've been dripping it in my igo-l for 3 straight days.

Cookster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2011
Fla-De-Da
Not the cheapest way but another option is getting some pre-mixed custom flavor blend from a vendor like mom and pops or MBV. It's good for practicing the mixing process.

I bought 4 premixed flaves from mom and pops and really love the tobacco haze. I've been dripping it in my igo-l for 3 straight days.

Ya, I was looking at Pchela's and Vanilla Lace...which ones did you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread