Breathe easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knob

Sep 8, 2008
Brand new here and to the whole concept of "e-cigs." I've already ordered (I have a big impulse buy issue at times!) a pen and mini e-cig from PureSmoker.com. I'm already finding that I should have ordered some additional parts, but I'll save that until I have a little time to try them out. Ideally, I'd like to quit the real thing all together and HOPEFULLY drop the habbit all together. But until then...

The main thing that interested me is that you're not actually smoking tabacco and all of the extra stuff that comes with it. I'm curious about the real cigarette smokers turned e-cigarette smokers. Are they easier on the lungs? I'm assuming they are, since you're not inhaling smoke full of carcinogens and inflammatory chemicals. This is the biggest reason I want to get into e-cigs. I don't like my lungs feeling congested just because I smoked too much the previous day.

Now I'm not delusional. I don't believe these are a healthy alternative to smoking, but I do believe they're a healthier altnerative to smoking.

Other than that, my only other concern is using these in public without feeling a little odd. It has to look a little weird (I've never actually seen anyone else use one). If I'm at work, I'm going to need SOMETHING, and I really doubt I could get away with 'vaping' inside, as I work in a hospital.

SmokingInTexas

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2008
Texas, USA
Hi knob, (Ok, that sound REALLY weird)

I started the e-cig thing a little over 2 weeks ago. I still smoke 2-3 real smokes per day (down from a pack a day), cause my mind has a few issues, but I'm working on that.

What I have experienced really isn't with my lungs, BUT, I used to wake up every morning with a great deal of sinus congestion and a little coughing. I am happy to say that both of those issues have disappeared since using the e-cig. And even better, I haven't grown a 3rd arm or an extra foot or anything.:) I also feel "mentally" a little healthier (hmmm, maybe I could cut back on the shock therapy treatments)

I hope you find your experiment with e-smoking as rewarding as my own.

Tex

bwood12043

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2008
East Texas
Knob,

Of course, there are countless stories/opinions on this forum about the health benefits of e-cigs.

I thought I would add a little about the social aspects, or at least how it is for us (me and hubby)

Prior to e-cigs, there were just so many functions/activities we were not able to enjoy, unless we wanted to go, not smoke and be crazy miserable the whole time.

We are not much into movie theaters (have a huge 73" HD at home, so our own theatre basically) and we are not much into the bar scene... smoking is banned in bars here now, but the reason we don't go is that we know the signs on the road are telling the facts "DWI - YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT !"... so we do our partying at home or in the homes of neighbors where no one has to drive, or we do designated drivers.

However, most of our friends and neighbors are non-smokers or former smokers. Those of us who are/were still smoking were banned to smoking outside and in Texas, that's either too hot or too cold, no in-between !

Our friends/neighbors are so excited about us e-cigging now, as we can enjoy the get togethers without having to constantly run outside for a smoke.

Also, I vape in my office, now mind you, it's MY office, so I make the rules, but it does not violate my lease, so I do it and my employees do not have problem with it at all.

Have e-vaped in public places without any issues so far. Just having to take the time to explain to others what it is, but that's more because they want to try it than that they have problem with it.

I even go so far as to walk up to people smoking outside businesses ( smoking must now be kept at least 20 feet from the door of any public place) and I introduce them to e-cigs. Most of them are very interested and instead of referring them to any certain product I usually just give them this forum website. If we talk very long, I end up giving them the names and websites of my favorites suppliers so they can check it out for themselves.

When I have had the occasion to have someone say to me, "gosh, that stuff sounds complicated and a lot of trouble, filling carts, recharging batteries, etc, etc." .... Well, I point out to them that if they want to see complicated, try lugging an oxygen tank back and forth to chemo ! Now there's complicated !

I feel so much better already, and I have only been e-cigging for about 6 weeks, after smoking very very heavy for 37 years, so the benefits show up fast and the social benefits just keep getting better.

Good Luck and enjoy !

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Hi knob, I am having regular lung-tests being done. Which, according to my doctor, isn't needed anymore; but we decided together to continue them each 6 months, just for the sake of recording scientifically the 'hard facts' of any further changes along the way.
In around 6 months, my lungs have recovered for more then 30% (I'm on 95% of 'healthy lungs' now)

Jim, our malaysian doc, also has had his patients doing very regular tests... I'm sure he can tell you a lot of his patients show a similar upward curve (of course, there is a level of damage-done at which there is no recovery possible anymore, sadly... though even then e-smoking mostly does at least stop or slow down any further decline).

*coming out of lurker mode*

I just got back from doing a pulmonary function test at my doc's office. My FEV(Forced Expiratory Volume) increased from 49 to 64. (I have asthma :p). There were other numbers but this is the one I remember. I've been smoking for 36 years. (I started at 12, you can do the math. I hate writing my age 8-o.)

I've been using the Njoy penstyle since the end of June (not exclusively, I still have an "analog" cig here and there.) So from MY experience, it has improved my breathing. I don't wake up in the middle of the night coughing and my wheezing has decreased, and I don't have the out of breath feeling when I perform simple tasks.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an M.D. and I'm not saying you should switch to an e-cig. This has been my experience, your mileage may vary.

I will say that this forum has been tremendously helpful in providing information on e-cigs and after a frustrating start with it, I've gotten the hang of the e-cig "technique" and am working toward quitting completely.

Hope this info helps! Thanks to all the regulars for sharing their knowledge!

gep

*shields up*

All smokers are aware of their own health issues more than anybody else (which is why I always hated it when I was a "real smoker" and someone would warn me that "those things are gonna kill you, you should quit!")

But at the same time, it's weird how you constantly make excuses for yourself when you're coughing in the morning, wheezing, always blowin' your nose, always feeling congested...I honestly believed it was not just smoke, but pollen, dust, etc.

My last real cigarette was 65 days ago (a 29 year habit) & just the other day (Friday) at the office here, the guy in the cubicle on the other side of me came over and said "sure is quiet over here..." and I said "Yeah I'm thinkin'..." and he said "No--I mean, I used to listen to you cough and hack all day. You haven't done that in awhile."

I honestly wasn't aware others noticed I did that so much. So glad that's gone!

knob

Sep 8, 2008
I can honestly say that you guys are making me more excited for my e-cigs to arrive. Between this thread and the rest of the board, I decided to go an order a second one (so now I have a mini and a pen coming from Steve at Puresmoker.com). I started out light -- Just the starter kits and 2 boxes of carts. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on something that I may not get in to... but I'm going to give it a fair shot and hopefully I'll like it.

Maybe next week I'll be ordering a bunch more carts... Hopefully the e-cigs get here quick, as I hear Steve is fast about it.

ngax666

Aug 24, 2008
Feel the same here GEP
been smoke free for 60 hours and counting since i got the minis from puresmoker.com. (great product Cashmere). i also have a NPRO from Njoy it worked for 3 days and died. they sending a replacement. alos had one from epuffer.com. it didn't work well at all. i sending it back for refund. if you in US don't order from them (epuffer is from cananda).
to be clear i am not dissing them. my return package got held up at Canadian custom. i followed epuffer's instruction how to label the box before i send it back. now they telling they don't know why it happened.
i breath easier when i climb the stairs. i use to use the escalator when i go to work after i coming out of the train station. this morning i use the stairs next to it. and i look at the people on the escalator thinking to my self. losers. just kidding about the last part (people can use escalator if they want). and what else? i can actually taste my food now.

dflachbart

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2008
CT, USA
Hi ngax666,

my return package got held up at Canadian custom. i followed epuffer's instruction how to label the box before i send it back. now they telling they don't know why it happened.

Oh man, I also sent a epuffer cig back a week ago, and haven't heard back from them yet... Hope the same thing didn't happen to my package too. Are they giving you a hard time getting the refund ?

Dirk

dflachbart

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2008
CT, USA
I'm trying to get replacements for some underperforming atomizers, and can't even get them to answer me.

Actually, I just got an email from Paypal that they refunded the money, phew... Yeah, I wasn't really satisfied with the EAZE, and I shot them some questions and never heard back, so I decided to return it... And ended up with Cashmere - best decision I ever made, e-smoking wise... :D

Dirk

Zoomie

Sep 13, 2008
Baghdad, Iraq
I also have noticed the improvements in respiration!

I'm new to the e-cig thing, but I've already noticed that a real cigarette will start stirring up a bunch of junk in my throat and all be hacking and clearing my throat for a few minutes afterward. But, no such issue with the e-cig!

I too got mine from puresmoker, and was very pleased by it. Hopefully it turns out as good for you as its been for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread