subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
Hey guys.
So I'm on about month 6 of using my e-cig. Haven't had a cigarette since quitting. The only thing that bugs me is I've had really terrible skin since switching. I wash my face multiple times a day, I use the ProActive treatment, on top of many others. Nothing seems to work.
Last week I went on vacation and didn't use the e-cig all that much, and my skin got WAY better. But then again, I was also in the sun a lot. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I can't help but think that my e-cig is causing this.

I've used nothing but Boba's Bounty the entire time I've been vaping... maybe there is an ingredient in there causing me to break out so much? Surely it's not the 100% VG? I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem.

I will probably go to a dermatologist, but I really don't want to give up vaping.. it's all I have.
Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

The Duke

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
Seattle, WA

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
I got bad case with high pg. but bobas bounty is 100% vg. So I don't know about your situation.
I am now watching what I eat & using 10% Benzoyl peroxide 2-3/day & improved immensely.
I am 63 yo & suffered with flare ups my whole adult life. For me it is all about what I eat. Going to beach helps me too. Salt water & sun... Our creator's medicine.
Good luck

Rymarski

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
Chicago
Contrary to what others have said, I noticed that my skin became more oily with higher VG. My main vape is an 80/20 pg/vg mix and since about January/February of this year my skin has been getting better every week. But going off of what Bullette said, a mixture of sun and healthy diet will tremendously help too. I would definitely say though that quitting smoking has given me much healthier looking skin vs. cigarettes.

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Well, I have been suffering with cystic acne ever since I quit smoking (2 years ago), and while at first I thought it was due to the PG, I no longer believe that it can be attributed to this, as it didn't let up much when I switched to 100% VG, or when I stopped vaping for several months. In fact, it got so bad that I had to go on Minocycline, which cleared it up some, but if I stopped taking it for even a few days, it would come back with a vengeance. I tried every possible acne cure known to man. Some of them would work for a little while, but then the acne would return.

I honestly believe that most of this is linked to hormones, and yes, even in men. Smoking messes with many of our body's functions, and hormones are one of these. Smoking prevents the body from attempting to cure a hormonal imbalance because it is too busy attempting to cope with the ill effects of smoking tobacco. So when you quit, your hormones--in both men and women--go into overdrive. I honestly believe that this is one of the many reasons why we get so cranky when we quit. Hormones affect so many of our body's functions, like our heart rates, thyroid, adrenal gland, and well, our moods. Some people's acne and other hormonal symptoms back off after they've quit for awhile, because their bodies simply heal and eventually self-regulate. Mine didn't.

Anyway, I recently decided to get my hormones checked, and I was WAY off. I went on a bioidentical Progesterone cream, and boom, my zits are gone. I mean GONE. That quickly. I also feel a TON better, calmer, and happier. Now, I'm a gal and I'm 37 years old, so this was my solution. As for men, I would definitely talk to a natural health care practitioner if your symptoms don't subside, and see if they will test your hormone levels (saliva test), and if they're off, they can recommend supplements that can get you back on track.

Also keep in mind that our current environment is full of xenoestrogens that mimic estrogen in the body--and yes, even in men. Do your best to eliminate these things, and see if maybe that helps clear you up. Here's a link to some info on xenoestrogens.

I'm no doctor...far from it. All I know is that after doing tons of research, I have come to the conclusion--as have many people much smarter and better educated than I--that most acne is hormonal. Fix the hormones, fix the acne.

Sorry for the long rant. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nebs

Caution

May 25, 2010
Wilsonville, OR
I'm glad to see I'm not alone. Your situation is about as close to mine as I've read so far (thanks goes to Darksyde for pointing me to your thread)
I posted my story earlier today, take a look http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...tting-severe-acne-after-two-years-vaping.html

I'm certain I have cystic acne like you do - it's not your normal acne, these are painful, bulging zits that start very deep in the skin and slowly work their way to the surface, leaving a considerable bulge that takes for-EVER to heal. I get flareups when I vape a lot, and now that VG is the only other ingredient in my juice other than the nicotine, I've got to think it's a hormonal imbalance since I'm not using more than scores of other vapers out there are using with no ill effect to their skin.

I've always had naturally oily skin, in fact I had acne so bad when I was a teen that I took Accutane. Although it cleared up my face, I've had acne off and on all my life, but nothing like I've got now. Not even close.

I'm not convinced the VG is giving me oily skin, I'm starting to think that the nicotine is behind all of this unfortunately.
I gave away all of my PG-based nicotine base, I guess I could try going 100% PG for a while and see what happens?

Last edited:

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Subver did you never have acne before? I couldn't figure out from your OP if this is something new or just aggravated and your usual acne has gotten worse since vaping?
How much and long had you been smoking cigarettes before quitting? You don't state your age but I suppose sudden acne could develop at any age, hormones and imbalances can get crazy too at any age. You also state "it's not quit zits" .... why do you say that? How do you know it's not quit zits?
Have you been drinking more water? Has your diet changed?
Also, quote: I wash my face multiple times a day, I use the ProActive treatment, on top of many others. unquote !!... You're using MANY acne treatments? :ohmy: My goodness, using so many "treatments"?....this would be cause for much concern right there!
Lastly, you "can't help but think it's your ecig causing this"?
Lol have you ever heard the phrase "if you think it, it will be so?"
Our own thought processes can play havok can't they?
Hope you get it straightend out. Good luck! Keep us posted. Thanks!

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I doubt it has anything to do w/vaping and more to do with hormones/auto immune response. Dermatologist in order here. Also, there is quite a lot of evidence that acne, like other inflammatory responses, can be food sensiitivites. Google hypoallergenic diet and try it, you will know in 28 days, but be prepared to restrict your intake of many foods.

Reactions: Nebs

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Acne is rarely a 'cleanliness' issue, or even a surface skin issue at all...it's a holistic--whole body--issue. It's internal. You can clean your face or use certain products to heal it, or even stop your skin from producing sebum that causes it, but ultimately, it's an internal problem that you need to fix.

Again, any adult having cystic acne issues--whether they just quit smoking or not--should have their hormones tested (saliva test ONLY--blood tests are inconclusive). It's not that expensive, and can be done by ordering kits online and having them sent to you. You then send the test back. At least then you'll know where your levels are at so you can either count it out as the problem, or start down the road to correcting the hormonal imbalance.

Here's a link to a mail-order hormone test lab that sells the tests and then includes in the price the results: Saliva Hormone Testing by Labrix. Free US Shipping There are some chiropractors and also holistic medical professionals who will do the test onsite and send your sample to a lab for analysis. You really only need to do the "2 Hormone Kit", which is $65. (I am not affiliated with this organization or lab in any way, I'm simply posting one link for you to examine. You may want to do more research into other labs for a possibly lower price.)

Keep in mind that smoking decreases estrogen levels...in both men and women. Our current environment is full of xenoestrogens, as I've mentioned earlier. When you quit smoking, you essentially created a new problem: An estrogen overload. Again, this can happen in both men and women, because xenoestrogens don't discriminate based on gender.

Last edited:

wood duck

Feb 15, 2011
Australia
Hey Pheisty this sounds like me.
Been on the monocycline and doxycycline and they both help but as soon as you stop they come back nastier than ever and they have horrible side effects for me such as anxiety and fatigue.
My wife and I were looking at my acne the other day and wondering why my acne is so symmetrical.
If it wasn't so sad it could be comical.
Then my wife said she thought it must be hormonal. I am gonna do the test .
Thanks for posting and wish me luck.

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Hey Pheisty this sounds like me.
Been on the monocycline and doxycycline and they both help but as soon as you stop they come back nastier than ever and they have horrible side effects for me such as anxiety and fatigue.
My wife and I were looking at my acne the other day and wondering why my acne is so symmetrical.
If it wasn't so sad it could be comical.
Then my wife said she thought it must be hormonal. I am gonna do the test .
Thanks for posting and wish me luck.

Best of luck to you, Wood Duck. I hope you're able to identify--or at least rule out--the cause of your acne.

If I were you, I would also identify and remove any major xenoestrogens and phytoestrogens that are in your home and foods you eat. They're literally everywhere, from soy (which is in nearly every food these days), to fabric softener. Do a google search on these oestrogens and I think you'll find that you're consuming or exposing yourself to them pretty much constantly.

NetteG

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
NE
Just happened to stumble across this thread and I too have been having issues with more acne than "normal" we'll say, especially around the nose. I vape 100% VG (as I can not handle even the least bit of PG even in flavorings) ... with that said, I have noticed since beginning vaping, my skin seems oilier than when I was smoking analogs. I have been marking everything up to my body still getting rid of all the toxins from smoking for 21+ years being I've only been vaping for approximately 9 weeks or so.

I am going to be talking with my doctor in the next couple of weeks over general issues ... will mention this information to him and see what he thinks. I know he's a big supporter of e-cigarettes, so at least he's open minded to the alternatives to smoking. That's a HUGE plus.

Good luck Wood Duck ... keep us posted, I am very interested in your findings.

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Hormones, people. Hormones.

Increased 2-Hydroxylation of Estradiol as a Possible Mechanism for the Anti-Estrogenic Effect of Cigarette Smoking

Smoking out the Oestrogens

How does smoking affect fertility?

Then research xenoestrogens and phytoestrogens. They're everywhere. When you smoked, you decreased your oestrogen levels. Granted, smoking did 'help' you in a way, because oestrogen dominance in both men and women is on the rise.

Did you know that oestrogen dominance is what causes cellulite in women and some men? It also can cause acne, sleeplessness, aches and pains, sexual disinterest, abnormal or heavy periods, and a whole host of other issues that affect both men and women. So while you were most likely being exposed to just as many xeno and phytoestrogens when you smoked, you were decreasing those levels in your body simply by smoking. When you quit, you suddenly stopped offsetting the oestrogens in your body, and now you're most likely oestrogen dominant, which is causing your acne...whether you're a man or a woman.

Get your hormone levels tested...but not blood tests. Do a saliva test. And women, you must do it on the 21st day of your cycle, if you're still getting your cycle. Women's hormone levels fluctuate because they cycle, but men's stay pretty even, so they can test their saliva on any day.

If you don't believe me, research it. I've corrected my oestrogen dominance by using bio-identical progesterone cream. I have no more acne, sleep soundly, and have eliminated most of my other physical issues as well...including irritability. Please consider testing your hormones before you jump to conclusions thinking that vaping is causing your acne. I can pretty much assure you that it's not.

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
Hormones, people. Hormones.

Increased 2-Hydroxylation of Estradiol as a Possible Mechanism for the Anti-Estrogenic Effect of Cigarette Smoking

Smoking out the Oestrogens

How does smoking affect fertility?

Then research xenoestrogens and phytoestrogens. They're everywhere. When you smoked, you decreased your oestrogen levels. Granted, smoking did 'help' you in a way, because oestrogen dominance in both men and women is on the rise.

Did you know that oestrogen dominance is what causes cellulite in women and some men? It also can cause acne, sleeplessness, aches and pains, sexual disinterest, abnormal or heavy periods, and a whole host of other issues that affect both men and women. So while you were most likely being exposed to just as many xeno and phytoestrogens when you smoked, you were decreasing those levels in your body simply by smoking. When you quit, you suddenly stopped offsetting the oestrogens in your body, and now you're most likely oestrogen dominant, which is causing your acne...whether you're a man or a woman.

Get your hormone levels tested...but not blood tests. Do a saliva test. And women, you must do it on the 21st day of your cycle, if you're still getting your cycle. Women's hormone levels fluctuate because they cycle, but men's stay pretty even, so they can test their saliva on any day.

If you don't believe me, research it. I've corrected my oestrogen dominance by using bio-identical progesterone cream. I have no more acne, sleep soundly, and have eliminated most of my other physical issues as well...including irritability. Please consider testing your hormones before you jump to conclusions thinking that vaping is causing your acne. I can pretty much assure you that it's not.

Thanks for the great information - I am assuming most doctors are aware of the saliva test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread