Bad Acne Issues post quitting Cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robby Wilson

Sep 21, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Hello Again Everyone,

I am enjoying life greatly since quitting smoking (almost 3 months in), except for this not so pleasant detail. It's supremely annoying to put it mildly. First of all, even when I was a teenager I did not have any problems with my skin. Maybe the occasional zit or two, but nothing like what I am experiencing now. These are the type that are cystic deep below the skin and look disgusting.

It's been going on for about a month now and I have not had much in the way of success with the various over the counter acne treatments (Proactiv, Claridad, etc.).

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Do I have any recourse other than just hoping it runs it's course? Is maybe seeing a dermatologist a good idea?

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Iirc Acne breakouts happen to teens because hormones change the skin oil output, or so I was told. There are a raft of odd side effects to your body recovering from cigarettes that are documented in several threads on this site. I don’t remember hearing about that one in particular myself. As a general rule they tend to be temporary.
As always with real medical issues, see a doctor, or in your case a dermatologist

• Agree

Robby Wilson

Sep 21, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Thanks for the feedback, all. Doing some digging online it seems to be a common side effect for many people to varying degrees.

Oddly, there is almost nothing out there in the peer reviewed medical literature that I can find which offers any sort of explanation. There is plenty of anecdotal stuff from the people experiencing it however, mostly centered around the idea of "your body is purging toxins".

Granted it's a vanity issue more than anything else, but since my job is client facing much of the time it is nonetheless frustrating to be pushing 30 and just now having acne breakouts. I set up an appointment with a dermatologist for Friday and I will update if I get any insightful information. From what I have seen on other forums online from those who have bad quit zits, dermatologists generally write scripts for more powerful topical solutions or else the oral pharmaceutical substance Ximino (or both).

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm glad you are seeing a dermatologist. From what limited posts I've seen on the subject (a few) they either are the result of quitting (but pass) or they may be caused by a skin sensitivity to one or more of the ingredients. A dermatologist should be able to treat what is going on, but you may also want to ask him about sensitivity/allergies and he/she may have more insight.

Best of luck, glad you are consulting a doctor. I am fairly certain that things should improve with the right treatment which may or may not include trying different PG/VG ratios and or looking at your flavorings. Hope it improves quickly!

Anna

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I'm glad you are seeing a dermatologist. From what limited posts I've seen on the subject (a few) they either are the result of quitting (but pass) or they may be caused by a skin sensitivity to one or more of the ingredients. A dermatologist should be able to treat what is going on, but you may also want to ask him about sensitivity/allergies and he/she may have more insight.

Best of luck, glad you are consulting a doctor. I am fairly certain that things should improve with the right treatment which may or may not include trying different PG/VG ratios and or looking at your flavorings. Hope it improves quickly!

Anna

Agree and believe we encounter this phenomena when we approach our body's nic tolerance or dependency threshold. It was somewhat of a crisis for me as I tried to bear down on <6mg. Finally did after some time being alarmed at attempting more reduction. But ever since whenever bumping into that zone of 5-6mg from below I see a resumption. So as you say, this too shall pass (or can). Pay attention to your body.

Good luck. :)

Hello There!

Just wanted to throw my two cents in here. . . To me it sounds like your body is ridding itself of the toxins from the cigs. Now, one thing that is very important is drinking water. I've heard vaping can dehydrate us a little faster, so definitely get down as much water as you can daily to assist your body. Also, you need a good probiotic. One with active cultures that needs to stay refrigerated. Whole Foods sells some good ones. That will assist your body to rid the toxins from your gut.

It just sounds to me like your body is needing/asking for some help to get rid of the toxins. What I've mentioned will help from the inside out. Seeking a dermatologist would not hurt either, as long as they don't prescribe antibiotics. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your gut, which the probiotic will be helping to multiply. Any other medications will not interfere with the probiotic. (I am not a doctor, but was raised in the hospital!) Good Luck! Let us know how it goes!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
my back broke out bad enuf I had to "wear" plastic wrap for a few days to keep my shirt from sticking to me... took about 3-4 weeks to totally clear up... I went to the Dr. and he told me that it was all of the toxins being released thru my skin... but of course, working in the sun all day during the summer didnt help either... when I sweat, its impressive ;)

Robby Wilson

Sep 21, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Hey guys, I thought I would update this thread as I paid a visit to the dermatologist over my lunch break today.

Apparently I am far from the first person who has paid his office a visit who has suffered from similar issues, and it seems to happen to people who quit smoking in general, regardless of if they vape or not. He explained that the science is not conclusive, but the generalized consensus is that smoking secession causes an increase in chemicals in the bloodstream as the body detoxifies. This leads to an increase in oil production since your body is attempting to fight off these toxins. The result is a much higher prevalence of adult acne. The longer a person was a smoker correlates to the duration it can continue to persist.

He told me that I just need to add in some additional measures to my routine as far as facial cleaning regimen to keep the oil production at bay which is clogging my pores. I was prescribed a gel called Aczone as well as the oral medication Ximino which I stopped at Walgreens to get filled. He also gave me some nexcare covers that look like a miniature band aide. He told me that if a spot does come to the surface to place one of these on it if I am just hanging around the house and overnight as this will absorb the gross stuff as this will keep me from messing with it. Lastly, he wants me to increase my water intake to as much as I can tolerate.

So I feel a little better now that I have a plan in place. Hopefully these meds and methods will be effective.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thanks for the detailed description. I have battled adult acne my entire life, so it seems. I will say my zits got worse when I quit, but they seem to have simmered down of late. I do take a med that causes acne, and although I am still following my regular regimen, things are improving. It was interesting to hear the dermatologist's perspective, though.

I think it probably will improve. I didn't even get my usual "herald of menstruation" zits this time around, like I normally do.

Anna

Stu_

May 22, 2013
UK
Hey guys,

I struggled with Acne pretty badly throughout my teenage years and into early adulthood... I've found it's gotten bad again over the last 5 years (coincidentally since I began vaping)

Ive heard of the 'Quit Zits' but to still be experiencing this now after 5 years of vaping (I'm 34) seems a little much. I did go to a derm back in August last year, but didnt think of a connection between vaping then, so didnt mention it.

I'm going back for an appointment in 2 weeks. hopefully she can help. I've done a bit of researh and it seems a lot of people experience this from vaping too... possibly something in the PG/VG/Nic that doesn't agree with me and some others.

Stu_

May 22, 2013
UK
High PG gives me zits... 50/50 was better and now at 80VG/20PG I don't have a problem.
Maybe worth a shot to try.

Hi,

Im wanting to try a higher VG. I actually bought a loaf of 100% VG liquid last week without doing any research, only to find its not compatible with my Nautilus

Where are you getting that juice from and do you need a sub ohm setup for 80/20?

many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread