How long should it take to charge my Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyboy5691

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Hamburg, NY
I've just got 2 brand new ICRr 2200Mah 3.7v batteries. On charged up fine. The other has been on the charger most of the day. I took it off to check it in my mod and it only reading 3.7v. I have a single bay Chinese charger that has an output of 4.2v DC 420mA. When I took the battery out to check it, the light in my charger turned green, when I put it back in the charger it turns red. It's in the charger now and the light is still red. Is something wrong with the battery? Thanks. :)

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
What APV are you using these batteries with? If you are using a vv or vv/vw APV, IMR batteries are recommended, or the Panasonic hybrids (which are called IMRs too). Not ICR. ECF guide on rechargeable batteries here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

As for the charger - batteries are usually charged to 4.2 volts by chargers or close to it. You can take it off the charger before that, but the charger will keep charging the battery to 4.2 volts (or close, like 4.18 volts). That's normal.
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your batteries or charger. The charger light will turn green when the battery is taken out, and will turn red if the battery is below 4.2 volts. You could buy an Xstar or Pila charger if you want better quality tho. These have setting that allow faster charging also. Some chargers, such as Trustfire TR-001 can take 8 hours or so to charge an 18650. An Xstar Wp II can do it in 3-4 hours in my experience.

Do you have a multi-meter? That way you can periodically check the voltage of your batts both before and after charging. Since you don't specify the voltage of both batteries before you started charging, its not possible to say if both batteries were at the same voltage to start with.

Last edited:

Natey

Moved On
May 26, 2013
Oh the 420mA from the charger is a bit low, your looking at a day 14-18 hours? mine take 12 at the most. But that battery should be up a lot more than that, could've gotten drain way low from sitting around on the stock selves. just leave it on there and see what happens. as long as the battery itself doesn't get hot i think you'll be ok..

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I'm using a Tesla vv/vw mod. The other battery charged fine. The batteries came in the kit along with the single bay charger. Thanks for the help. :)

Often the batteries and chargers that come with kits are not good quality, unfortunately. I recommend getting IMR batteries. They have safer chemistry and can handle high drain. They really are the only ones you should be using - AW IMR, Efest IMR or Panasonic CGR18650CH are all good batteries.
Personally, I'd be replacing the charger too.

Dannyboy5691

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Hamburg, NY
Thanks again for your help guys. I'm just concerned that the battery's been on there so long and when I checked it in my Tesla it read 3.7v. It's been on the charger for at least 6 hours. Should I take it off? Should I put it in my APV and run it down to 3.2v and try recharging again? I can't afford any other batteries right now so I've got to use these for a while.

TroyHoot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Greenville MS
I have had a couple batteries take a long time to charge the first few cycles. after that they seem to be about same time as the rest of mine. I wouldnt stress over it. SOunds perfectly normal.

As mentioned above. Might be worth it to look into a better charger. watch for sales. You get get an Intellicharger I2 for around 20 and the I4 around 25. few other good brands too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread