New and needing some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
Hi i am a new member and new to vaping and have a few questions. I have been using the Halo triton since i got it in the mail Monday and LOVE LOVE everything about it except for this one problem. Every time the tank level hits around 1.6 i start getting a bitter taste on the tip of my tongue that causes irritation. I gather it's the nicotine, but not sure why or what is causing it when the tank hits to around 1.6.

I make sure to take long slow and easy draws and also make sure the coil is snug after filling, but time and time again i run into the same problem as soon as the tank level hits around 1.6. It's kind of a drag because this is working out to every other day of running into this problem....which is when the tank level hits the halfway mark. Tipping it off does not seem to correct the problem once the eliquid has entered the stem at this point...it has to be disassembled and washed out in order to remove the constant taste and stinging on my tongue. I have tried several times to clean the mouth tip only... thinking it may be condensation buildup, but the problem persist. I keep the triton upright and give it a twirl prior to use...i have had the same result with 3 different tanks. I vape Tribeck and Midnight Apple.

Is it normal to empty, clean and refill the tank when it hits the halfway mark? if so i am wondering if maybe using the smaller G6 tank on the triton is the way to go? Love vaping and Halo products...just trying to figure out what i am doing wrong or is this just the norm when the tank hits the half way mark.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Maybe I can help a little. I know nothing about tanks. Cartos and RDA's---when the wicking material becomes dry, you definitely can taste detect a problem. If the tank is bottom fed, I'm at a loss to give advice.
If the tank atomizer/wick material is above the liquid and drawn up, you might try tipping the tank so the liquid comes in contact with the atomizer/wick? This sounds like you are running dry. See if this cures the problem.
Second suggestion, if you can call the vendor/Mfgr. who sold you the tank, ask them.
Hang in there and someone who has this mod will reply. Hope this helps.

ryanrokz

Mar 30, 2015
TX
I don't have a HALO but I use clearomizers religiously. Usually you won't have to refill until around the 1/4 left mark, but it just depends on how far down your intakes in the tank. I've experienced bitter tastes like that when my wicks are burnt or when they haven't been saturated enough at first. When first filling, makes sure to take primer hits (don't hit the button but take around 10 long draws, sometimes covering up all air intake holes) and do this until no bubbles are present in the tanks juice. Also, be sure to let the juice sit awhile after filling to let the wick saturate enough. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
I believe triton's is a top, but i do swirl it around to make sure everything including the wick is coated before i use it each time. This certainly doesn't taste burnt, but does taste pretty bitter and is indeed the e liquid. It's like it's splattering/misting it on my tongue and the tip of my tongue has been burning all day. At times it appears as if the e liquid has thickened up more around the half way mark and just not thin enough anymore to properly vaporize.

I would of thought everything would be sealed up by the time i hit a half empty tank ...which is when the problem starts every time..and i always let a new fill sit for about 10 minutes before using.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
If it's a topcoil then as the liquid level goes down, the liquid has to do more work to climb up the wick.

If it's a bottom coil, wicking is affected by a vacuum/pressure effect dependent on the amount of air in the tank with the liquid.

Either way, performance tends to vary with liquid level.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
It is a top coil tank you need to tip the tank over from time to time to get the liquid up to the top of the tank. A characteristic of the top coil tanks. You will get in the habit of doing this. Hold the tank tipped for a couple of seconds. Not good to draw on it while holding it tipped though as you are prone to suck in liquid.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
The Triton is a top coil clearo. This is what happens.
The real interesting question is why a) Halo still sell them and b) people make out like Halo are something special. Both are a question of taste and choice I guess.
For me, I always liked the Triton tank, but I wouldn't be paying what Halo charge, I'd order them elsewhere. The only thing I buy from Halo is liquid, and that's expensive too.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
IMO, the best fix for your problem is to replace you top coil tank with a Kanger T3S or similar tank. Bottom coils are much more forgiving than top coils. While they bring their own set of issues they are much better than top coils.

If you are getting juice on your tongue, that would indicate flooding. Remove the tank from your battery, wrap the tank in a paper towel or tissue, blow through the drip tip 2-3 times. Juice should be ejected from the base of the tank. Clean up any juice and try the tank again.

If you are getting burnt tasting vapor then the wick is not getting sufficient juice. Rotate the tank such that the wick is exposed to juice.

If you have not replaced the coil/wick (atomizer head) it may be time to do so. Washing the tank will only get you so far. Note: depending on your particular tank, the atomizer head may not be replaceable.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
ebates, my who setup was brand new as of Monday when i got it in the mail..and i have 5 tanks total that are all consistent with this behavior.

I ordered more tanks from halo and got them wednesday..i order their fusion clear and filled one of the new tanks with it thursday evening and had no problems..i put it on the shelf and honestly forgot about it til now...and upon using it i am having the same thing and the tank is about half full. I think it's really more the liquid thickening as this stuff is way thicker then it was when i put it in the tank thursday evening...it's the same thing i noted with the others after 24hrs....Interesting.

ETA-Correction i got my new tanks Thursday.

Last edited:

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
I do want to be careful here because i do love Halo's liquids and the vapor works like a charm until it gets down to about half way full..which i think may be due to the liquid thicken up honestly. Maybe i take longer to use up the liquid because i use about half of a full tank a day..so that's two days of the same liquid sitting and possible thickening..or maybe it is the draw back to a top burner..or both. I don't want to knock Halo if it's my inexperience at fault here though :unsure:

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Thank you to everyone for your help..i think i am going to try and contact Halo
It'll be interesting to see what they say.
We know that Halo don't disclose the PG/VG content of most of their liquids, and it is totally possible higher VG doesn't work that well with the "Triton" tank.
They make some good liquids, but these old top coil tanks are becoming dinosaurs - I can't see them admitting anything can possibly be wrong with the tanks using their liquid, as then they'd have to explain why they are still selling these at top dollar.
I may as well just come straight out with it; buy the liquids if you like them; the rest of it is outdated, barely-acceptable performance, over-priced hardware that was considered "good" in about 2012. The last time I used a Triton tank was summer 2013, and even then, I did get too many dry-hits using 80/20 Totally Wicked e-liquid. That seems a lifetime ago.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
After doing some reading surprise surprise i saw the same question brought up on reddit regarding "Juice thickening in kanger protank". Seems some feel after liquid is exposed to heating it starts to caramelize while others think it's related to the wick uptake and gravity causing top burners to deplete PG out of the liquid because it's thinner and leaving thick VG concentrations.

I did talk with Halo and these are some suggestions below they offered me. End conclusion was to keep the tank level topped off. I don't see that making much of a difference, the liquid is still going to gum up regardless of what is actually causing it. I will keep the triton as it does produce a really nice flavor, but for everyday heavy use while "on the go"... this could be a problem.

"Is the plastic sleeve still attached? That piece is a gasket and would be the prime reason for the issue you've described happening. Also, have you had any liquid coming out of the *bottom* of the tank?

As you mentioned, Triton Tank Coils are top wicked, which does mean they need to stay saturated. Some steps that can assist with that greatly are below:

Try to keep the tank within the 2.0-2.4ml range as much as possible, this will keep the coils from prematurely burning.

Also, after filling and before use, especially with a brand new coil, make sure the tank sits for 20-30 minutes. This will ensure the wicks are fully saturated.

Finally, try to keep your battery button presses to no more than 3-5 seconds. Longer presses/draws can damage the coils and sometimes can do so quickly."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread