Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
We know people who post they're at Starbucks, they're at the grocery store, they're at the gas station, at a restaurant (complete with pictures of their food or drink). They somehow think they are super interesting. I think not.......Yes I do........

I don't think I ever posted my meals or other inane nanodetails of my boring life but I posted this there the other day:

Last Thursday -
Jumbo Shrimp with Vegetables, House Special Rice & Philosophy 101

10423696_1639269346303889_5168978061432924465_n.jpg

so report me for dragging Faceplantbook into the P3 thread :)

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
Reactions: AstroTurf

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
As you saw, I got 28 gauge Kanthal in the mail today and since I'm still new to this coil building business, I decided to build a new coil. This time, it didn't take any time. 28 gauge, 9 wraps around a 2mm bit and I think this one turned out really well. I wanted the coil to be between 1.5 - 1.7 ohm and it came it at 1.7 ohm. Here are a couple pics:

8e409ed4bd29ca5e7e3a9071a04680ed.jpg

ca5d293b8f6ac8dc25fb73bc5ff4286f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ThePaladin

Jedi Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Virginia, USA
As you saw, I got 28 gauge Kanthal in the mail today and since I'm still new to this coil building business, I decided to build a new coil. This time, it didn't take any time. 28 gauge, 9 wraps around a 2mm bit and I think this one turned out really well. I wanted the coil to be between 1.5 - 1.7 ohm and it came it at 1.7 ohm. Here are a couple pics:

8e409ed4bd29ca5e7e3a9071a04680ed.jpg

ca5d293b8f6ac8dc25fb73bc5ff4286f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely perfect, Sir Rod!

ThePaladin

Jedi Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Virginia, USA
Thanks Tim! I have made pretty good progress from not ever having built a coil until the last several weeks!

That said the vapor and flavor are terrific, but it is gurgling. Did I use too much cotton?

That's entirely possible. What voltage/wattage are you at?

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
My, my..aren't we getting to be the mean little coil wrapping machine!

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
Good plan. I'll be waiting for the results.

Gurgle stopped. A little less cotton and just a bit longer solved it. Making the coil was one thing. Getting the wick right is totally another.

My, my..aren't we getting to be the mean little coil wrapping machine!

I'm trying Bronze. And I'm making progress, but it's still not so easy.

Reactions: NeoGoldenBoy

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
You can't use too much cotton. Add more.

I watched like a bazillion coil and wicking videos and several of them said too much cotton on a kayfun can cause gurgling with some juices. Mine must be the kind of juice where that happens. Reducing the thickness, but increasing the length seems to have solved the issue for me.

Reactions: Bronze

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I watched like a bazillion coil and wicking videos and several of them said too much cotton on a Kayfun can cause gurgling with some juices. Mine must be the kind of juice where that happens. Reducing the thickness, but increasing the length seems to have solved the issue for me.
It's a myth SR. It is intuitive to think that but ask if any of those people on the vids actually experimented. I have and so has others on the Kayfun threads. We could never get a flood or dry hit when using more cotton but could when using less. Sometimes a build will gurgle when you prime the wicks too much. Blow into the drip tip to try and push the excess back out of the chimney next time it happens to you.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
It's a myth SR. It is intuitive to think that but ask if any of those people on the vids actually experimented. I have and so has others on the Kayfun threads. We could never get a flood or dry hit when using more cotton but could when using less. Sometimes a build will gurgle when you prime the wicks too much. Blow into the drip tip to try and push the excess back out of the chimney next time it happens to you.

I believe you Bronze. YES I DO. The less wick experiment was a bust and I had to re-wick a 3rd time, this time using more cotton and it's working OK now. Actually it's working GREAT now!

I've now learned how to re-use the juice in the tank. How to build a good coil. How to wick it properly and now I'm exhausted and going to bed. Yes I am! My poor pea-sized brain has been taxed to the max tonight!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I believe you Bronze. YES I DO. The less wick experiment was a bust and I had to re-wick a 3rd time, this time using more cotton and it's working OK now. Actually it's working GREAT now!

I've now learned how to re-use the juice in the tank. How to build a good coil. How to wick it properly and now I'm exhausted and going to bed. Yes I am! My poor pea-sized brain has been taxed to the max tonight!
LOL!. You deserve a good night's rest. Me too. I'm off to the rectangle too.

Reactions: rbrylawski
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread